To the Aid of Falx - mint in shrink
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:12 pm 

Hi guys.  I have been collecting for many years.  I don't focus on super rares just to get them, but more a lot of my favorites from childhood in as near mint condition as I can find, and especially shrink wrapped modules.  So many years ago a copy of To the Aid of Falx in mint shrinkwrapped condition was ending on a holiday on ebay.  I can remember being at my families house and logging on for a last second bid.  I won it for about $50!  I don't think many people took note as it was a holiday week.  Anyway I always wondered if these modules were ever in original shrink or if someone did it after.  It looks legit to me!  Hopefully you guys can shed light on whether this series of modules was ever shrink wrapped.

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:49 pm 

Yes, that one was originally in SW.  The only one that wasn't was R-4, Doc's Island.  Post some decent pictures here and we could probably tell you if it's original SW or not.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:44 pm 

The SW looks legit.  Even has a little airhole on each side.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:35 pm 

Looks original.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:22 pm 

The best person to ask in this case would be Frank(exTSR here) since it's his, however the lack of seal along the middle of the back makes me think it's not original, in considering the time frame from which this was sold.

Most(if not all) modules from 1985 and before have a seal along the back of the module like this one:

** expired eBay auction **

or this one:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Or this one:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Or this one:

I used to collect shrink modules hardcore(sold almost all of them 8 years ago, much to my chagrin now), but the R series were some of the few I was never able to get my hands on, so I do not speak from specific experience here, just general in this case, so they may have been different since they were offered by the RPGA specifically.

In my experience though, the shrink that's on yours was one that was offered later on(post 85), but in modules from that early on was a pretty good indication of a re-shink at a later date.

It might be best to ping Frank though, since he would likely know best on these.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:58 pm 

My R1 through R3 all have the shrink sealed edges on the side of the module, just line in the picture provided by Lord Soth. While my R1 does not have an airhole (does that make it an R1 alpha or beta :-)  ) my copies of R2 and R3 do in fact have air holes.

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:29 pm 

stratochamp wrote in To the Aid of Falx - mint in shrink:My R1 through R3 all have the shrink sealed edges on the side of the module, just line in the picture provided by Lord Soth. While my R1 does not have an airhole (does that make it an R1 alpha or beta :-)  ) my copies of R2 and R3 do in fact have air holes.

Out of curiosity, does yours also lack the seal along the middle of the back, too?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:21 pm 

Yes the shrinked sealed edges are on the sides of my modules. They do not have the shrink overlay in the back middle.

Shrink is not a condition

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:26 pm 

I believe the shrink is original as I got a message from ExTSR saying it would sell for $750-1000.  I wouldn't sell it for many reasons though.  First it is the only "R" module I own, and second it brings back too many fond memories from childhood (like sketching my own dungeons in geometry class).

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:36 am 

That's awesome that you were able to pick it up for so cheap. I was thinking you posted in this thread because you were looking for an asking or sale price.