First Printing Original D&D in box
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 2:06 am 

Hi there, I just joined the forum and wanted to say 'hello' to all you fellow collectors  I picked up a rather good deal (I think..okay, I know I did..).  I bought this at a flea market (his asking price) for what turned out to be a First Printing D&D in the box.  The box is damaged.  The top edge 'flap' is gone and someone named 'DJ' wrote his initials on the first page of all the books and his phone # on the cover of the box in Pen. (that BASTARD!  :wink: )  Still, the books are in good shape with no 'other' writing and not spilled on, wrinkled etc.. but clearly have been flipped through a few thousand times.  One of the books (Book 3) does NOT have a white inside cover but has all the other distinguishing 1st printing features and none of the identfiable 2nd printing features.  I'm guessing this may be early or late in the run cycle and they used some new paper or (horrors) the guys here at Acaeum made a mistake about the inside cover of Book 3 First Printing.  So, my question is to any and all of you, what is this thing worth?  I'm not selling it... it's My Precious...:)  but I would like to get an idea if times get bad and the kids need medical care and the crops don't come in... what I could get for it on say Ebay or something.  It'll also help me convince my wife that I didn't waste good money on an old game that I don't even play any more (kids/work/time.. you all know the drill...)  Much obliged for any opinions.  BTW, I would sell it for either a million dollars, a sprawling country estate or if you promise to paint all my unpainted miniatures to a good standard.... :)  I Look forward to chatting with some of you! -Jon

-------------------------------------------------

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:25 am 

Hi Jon, congrats on your great find! Hmm could perhaps your book 3 had the white inside cover ripped out?? Your woodgrain is complete right? If so despite all the damage you have described, I believe you could get over 600+ I believe.  I'll give you a whole months supply of Krispy Kreme donuts and then free personal training sessions to work off all those donuts for that woodgrain? deal? :lol:  8)  :lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:23 am 

The woodgrain box has the box top/top flap missing.  Imagine the box top, the part that goes down over the top edge of the box (not the top of the box, but the edge that is furthest away from you as you hold the box) is completely gone...    The rest of the box is really in poor shape but it's holding together.  An interesting side note.  I found that the whole thing in a ziplock fits PERFECTLY inside the extra large side 3E basic rules box set.  I kinda worried if I used that to store it It'd be like putting a portable hole into a bag of holding but I risked it and since I didn't get sucked into the astral plane it makes a good place to store my treasure!  As for the KKs...I am 100% gamer shaped, right down to my big table muscle so I'll pass bud!  However, if you have good game stuff to trade (rarities) let me know, I'm always open to consider a trade.  Thanks for the post!  I'll go tell the Missus that it's worth more than 500... that ought to appease her for a month or so! :) :)

-------------------------------------------------

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:27 pm 

JonOakes wrote:I'll go tell the Missus that it's worth more than 500... that ought to appease her for a month or so! :) :)
 It'll appease her long enough until she wants to see the $500 for like... BILLS or shopping.  :?   Ð

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:23 am 

Good thing I'm not married yet like you guys! Only thing I need to account for is my budgeting and not to overspend and get myself in trouble.