Complete Dragon & Dungeon Collections
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:23 am 

What are these worth?  I saw a complete Dungeon Magazine 1-150 go for $800 USD 6? Months ago on eBay.  Any thoughts of 1-359 of the Dragon.

Ebaninth

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:03 am 

Assuming all issues are complete and in VG condition, I would break them down in value groups (with earlier or "bulkier" issues being worth more):

#1:  Between $300-400
#2-5:  Between $50 and $100
#6-10:  Between $59 and $75
#11-30:  Between $20 and $50
#31-100:  Between $10 and $15
Remaining:  Betweem $7 and 10

*Note:  These are average/ballpark numbers.  For instance, some in the "Remaining" bucket might be worth $0.99 while others are $20.  In these cases, it usually has to do with whether or not they include all of their posters, CDs, etc...

You'd probably be better off selling them individually - you'll find some collectors who will pay premium prices to fill holes in their set - otherwise, most issues are VERY common and you might be hard pressed finding someone who will pay top dollar for the whole lot.

-Skull

“When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes!” -Winston Zeddemore

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:59 pm 

I agree with Skullhammer.

You usually don't see people buying a complete collection.... usually they are trying to fill holes in their own...

Individual sales are better for you, but will take a bit more time.

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:46 pm 

Nothing over #100 is normally going to go for much at all separately and wouldn't be worth the time and effort to sell unless that is your business. Even the mid-double digits usually go cheap. Examples:

** expired eBay auction **

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Skully is correct about the CDs/flyers, as a rule of thumb if it is missing any inserts or add-ons it is a reading copy.
Most people looking to fill holes for anything over #30 or so would rather pick up a lot and get a deal, and they tend to be willing to wait for a good price. I actually have #30 up and I'm trying to decide whether to break them into small lots, sell them as a single lot or donate them to the Humane Society as cage litter. I'm less concerned with making a fortune as I am with giving collectors a chance to fill holes and gaps.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:27 pm 

Skullhammer wrote in Complete Dragon & Dungeon Collections:Assuming all issues are complete and in VG condition, I would break them down in value groups (with earlier or "bulkier" issues being worth more):

#1:  Between $300-400
#2-5:  Between $50 and $100
#6-10:  Between $59 and $75
#11-30:  Between $20 and $50
#31-100:  Between $10 and $15
Remaining:  Betweem $7 and 10

*Note:  These are average/ballpark numbers.  For instance, some in the "Remaining" bucket might be worth $0.99 while others are $20.  In these cases, it usually has to do with whether or not they include all of their posters, CDs, etc...

You'd probably be better off selling them individually - you'll find some collectors who will pay premium prices to fill holes in their set - otherwise, most issues are VERY common and you might be hard pressed finding someone who will pay top dollar for the whole lot.

-Skull

Thanks for the useful guidelines. Am pondering whether to final move my set. Thoughts on whether it be worth doing at GenCon? The issues are G-VG (varying especially in 1-20).

Regards,
Old Man

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:26 pm 

Old Man wrote in Complete Dragon & Dungeon Collections:Am pondering whether to final move my set. Thoughts on whether it be worth doing at GenCon? The issues are G-VG (varying especially in 1-20).

You will get your best price by selling them on eBay in my opinion, even though they take a percentage of the amount paid by a buyer.  Facebook is likely your next best bet of getting the highest return.  And as Skullhammer has already stated, you are best off selling them individually.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:24 am 

I believe someone here once said that with the higher issues (basically what Skullhammer put in the "remaining" category), it was more economical to shred them and use them as packing material rather than try to sell them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:28 am 

Unfortunately, everything after the first 20 or so issues loses value exponentially.

There are also some magazines which are not appreciated by the fanbase - like the UK Imagine, which was actually very good, and much undervalued especially in the US both from an evaluation and a playability point of view.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:27 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote in Complete Dragon & Dungeon Collections:I believe someone here once said that with the higher issues (basically what Skullhammer put in the "remaining" category), it was more economical to shred them and use them as packing material rather than try to sell them.

Without searching posts, I believe I referenced them once as birdcage liner  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:39 pm 

If you try and sell them as singles at GenCon you will most likely loose your ass. Each item has an insertion fee that would be around what they would sell for individually. I would put the everything in lots of 25 mags after issue 35 or 40. Also everyone in the auction will get sick of see dragon magazines after a while and quit bidding.  :)

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:40 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote in Complete Dragon & Dungeon Collections:If you try and sell them as singles at GenCon you will most likely loose your ass. Each item has an insertion fee that would be around what they would sell for individually. I would put the everything in lots of 25 mags after issue 35 or 40. Also everyone in the auction will get sick of see dragon magazines after a while and quit bidding.  :)

Yep, the $2 (or even Store fee) + 10% does drive me to only consider large or potentially pricey items (like 1-10 or maybe 1-30) for the auction going forward ... I've seen a goodly number of bundles of the #50 and above in the store in years past ...

Regards,
Old Man

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:52 am 

I might be interested in buying a whole set of Dragon and/or Dungeon mags. Just hit me on a PM if you want to discuss.

D&D in the world @DNDCollecting
A quick look at the rarest, oddest, most elusive items within the Dungeons & Dragons franchise, with a special focus on obscure international (non-US) items

https://twitter.com/DNDCollecting

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:36 am 

I would also be interested in buying the whole lot if its still available.

--Thor

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:17 am 

Deadlord wrote in Complete Dragon & Dungeon Collections:Most people looking to fill holes for anything over #30 or so would rather pick up a lot and get a deal, and they tend to be willing to wait for a good price. I actually have #30 up and I'm trying to decide whether to break them into small lots, sell them as a single lot or donate them to the Humane Society as cage litter. I'm less concerned with making a fortune as I am with giving collectors a chance to fill holes and gaps.

If you don't mind me chiming in on this. I was talking to my Dad a while ago about selling magazines. He's a Pro Reseller, well he's really a retired Engineer but anyway, he resells a lot.

He's picked up large collections of magazines and he said the best way (least trouble and most profit) is if they are relatively low value is to bust them up into year sets. He was talking about Playboy, Analog, Heavy Metal, etc. he's not knowledgeable about gaming magazines, so he wouldn't have an opinion on Dragon or Dungeon of course. But I thought that was an interesting take on making sure there is enough value being listed to be worth your time and also having the Magazines still relate to each other by being a complete run of its respective year.
He was very much against selling large runs of magazines, he said you're basically giving away most of them.

Last edited by Mister Yuk on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:18 pm 

He's spot on.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:14 am 

For what it's worth, I sold a set of Dragons 1-237 a few years ago at GenCon for $1000. I think they were my triples.

Shrink is not a condition