What do you think this Roslof painting is worth?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:40 am 

After seeing the crazy prices that some some of Jim Roslof rough pencil drawings went for on Ebay I'm curious about the value of a painting commission Roslof did for me back in 2006. Thinking about it, this might be the last D&D painting he ever did.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:07 am 

What do you mean by "this might be the last D&D painting he ever did"?  From what I recall, this was a commission piece so its not an "official D&D" painting aside from its theme; i.e. it wasn't created for or used in any TSR product.  He also did artwork for Dungeon Crawl Classics after this (into 2007) and other projects so this seems far from the last D&D themed piece he did.

Its a great piece.  I'm not an art person so don't know the pricing but I'm sure someone would pay a fair price for it. $5K?  Its a great piece but doesn't have an iconic tie in to any of the D&D modules.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:13 am 

Hi grimball,

I'm not sure about the resale value of the commission, but I know it was not the last D&D painting that Jim did. He worked on various projects including personal commissions up until several months before he passed away. I believe most of the commission work was D&D-related, but not 100%

I'm guessing that the commission would be worth between 500 to $750. If it were a published commission piece I think it could get more.

I'm sure someone would pay a fair price for it. $5K?  Its a great piece but doesn't have an iconic tie in to any of the D&D modules.

The prices have gone up for certain but on commission work not tied to the work while he was at TSR, I don't think would raise it anywhere near $5k. As an art collector, I personally would pay in the range I mentioned. But there could be others who'd go higher.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:12 pm 

Having purchased several of the Barrier Peak items in the first round, and a couple items last night, I can say that for me, it is 100% the historical tie in. To have actual items that were part of the creation of a certain module ( Barrier Peaks for instance) make them worth a good chunk of change...otherwise it wouldn't really interest me personally and I wouldn't spend much.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:56 pm 

If it has not been published it really is probably just worth what you paid for it.  I collect TSR art as well and I would not bid on this piece.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:01 pm 

I agree that if the work was done back in the day during the production (even if it is a prelim or wound up not being used), it's worth far more than a commission piece. I think that is what collectors are more interested in. Laura could tell you for certain, but I'm positive Jim did quite a bit of work between 2006 (when he created your commission) and (I think) up until Jan of 2011 as I recall. He passed away in March of that year.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:21 pm 

Since Jim has passed away (meaning that there will not be anymore artwork created by him) prices will inch up some.  Also since he is an iconic artist of TSR his works will demand a little more.  I would like to know the dimensions of the piece.  Just going on what I see, I would say the upper range (at the moment) would be $1000 to $1250.  The theme is fantastic for the fantasy market and this piece is right in Jim's wheel house style and use of color.  Many people would want to own it.  I agree that had it had ties to a TSR module it would be worth considerably more.

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:39 pm 

I just realized it's the cover art from D1-D2 with the PCs replaced by mind flayers. Nice!

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:08 am 

Hey Grimball, I think you should sell to Prufrock
PDT_Armataz_01_34

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:33 am 

If Grimball wants to sell lets talk.  I would like dimensions of the piece as that also is considered in price.

PM me Grimball if you are looking to sell.

Martin Britt (Prufrock)

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:18 pm 

Hey everyone, thanks for your great input. First off the painting is definitely not for sell, to me it's priceless. I was just curious because of Jim's rough pencil work selling for such high prices on Ebay. From what I gather, it's because of their significance to the game and not the artist. For me, the game is what got me into Jim's art and the other classic artists of the game. The D1-2 cover blew me away when I first saw it at my local hobby shop, and I bought it even though it was a reprint. The Mindflayers are there because they are my favorite D&D monster, and when you think about it, they would more likely attack the Shrine then humans, being neighbors and all...  As for the painting size, it's pretty big. The artwork is 22'' by 16" and the frame 28" by 23".
 The only other commission work I know of, was the cool Q1 pencil drawing he did for one of this board's members and a sorceress painting for a blogger over at Black Gate. I would love to see any other commission work he did since they seem to be his best work he has done since TSR.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:01 am 

22" by 16" is a very nice size.  With that size, I definitely stand by my valuation.

Nice piece, Grimball4.

Martin