Unknown Oddities
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:28 am 

Does anyone have any idea what these are? I suspect top left is some sort of Geomorphs, but I've never seen any so I'm not sure. Either way I suspect they're not worth squat 'cos some inconsiderate guy decided to play with them instead of keeping them all minty and fresh. :D
I have absolutely no idea what the other three are. They are all US publications. The newspaper with the dragon has old Ral Partha and Traveller ads, as well other miniature manufacturers, Chaosium etc. The whole thing seems to be an industry (shop retailer) newspaper, not aimed at the general public. WF2 looks very OD&Dish with some really cool period ink drawings, but it has no reference in it to a games system that I can see. It does have an article on Changes to the 2nd Edition of White Bear and Red Moon, if that helps?

Any info would be appreciated.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:04 pm 

WF2 is Wyrm's Footnotes issue 2, of Call-of-Cthulhu fame. It's worth some money, though I have no idea what the going rates are. Azhanti High Lightining is a Traveller boardgame, though you're obviously missing the rest of the package. No idea what Game Merchant is.

Foul

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:27 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:WF2 is Wyrm's Footnotes issue 2, of Call-of-Cthulhu fame. It's worth some money, though I have no idea what the going rates are.

*nods*. That's the one, Scott! :)

Definitely "best of the bunch". I bid the last WF #2 up to $54 (more than I paid for #1, IIRC), but it was genuinely a NM copy.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5923711082
(Presuming that's just a shadow, say around $40-45 for the above copy, if complete internally.
Less than $40 and I'd bite your hand off... ;)).

Nope; I stand corrected. WF#1 was $62ish (s.t.b. mint, but had the bonus WB&RM playing piece cut out. *grr*).
Very unusual, too, in that it was a UK auction.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:29 pm 

Looks to me like the geos may be a partial set of Outdoor Geos....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:32 pm 

grodog wrote:Looks to me like the geos may be a partial set of Outdoor Geos....

*g*. You're the expert on those now, Allan! :P

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:27 pm 

Was Wyrm's Footnotes dedicated exclusively to Chaosium games?  Do they usually contain a lot of CoC material?  Thanks.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:47 pm 

dathon wrote:Was Wyrm's Footnotes dedicated exclusively to Chaosium games? Do they usually contain a lot of CoC material? Thanks.

Although the earlier issues are pre-RQ, far less pre-CoC (being devoted to White Bear & Red Moon, initially), I was a bit surprised to see that not even the final issues had any mention of CoC.

Yes; almost totally Chaosium-related, too, owing to other material being printed in Different Worlds when that came into existence.

aside; (Excellent) intro/index for WF at the bottom of this page:
Glorantha Magazine Indices
Just gloss over that "The first issue, edited by Greg Stafford, was a stapled fanzine, with a print run rumored to be as low as 25 copies" bit...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:33 am 

harami2000 wrote:
grodog wrote:Looks to me like the geos may be a partial set of Outdoor Geos....

*g*. You're the expert on those now, Allan! :P

LOL, I think you overestimate my knowledge, David ;)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:34 am 

harami2000 wrote:aside; (Excellent) intro/index for WF at the bottom of this page:
Glorantha Magazine Indices
Just gloss over that "The first issue, edited by Greg Stafford, was a stapled fanzine, with a print run rumored to be as low as 25 copies" bit...

Shannon's indices are fabulous!

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:30 am 

The dungeon geomorphs are a part of an old (and quite forgotten) series of geomorphs - if I remember well, it was composed of three different packs - city, dungeon and outdoor. I owned them all, and used them in those early days to populate my game world.

The Azhanti leaflet is part of Azhanti High Lightning game, something like tactical combat between space marines aboard a massive star cruiser: it was a board game, and VERY costly then.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:43 pm 

You think Azhanti High Lightning was costly then?  It's costly now, the English version going for anywhere from $50 to $75 if it's complete and in "virgin" condition.  The Japanese version trends a bit more towards the high end of that price range.  But for a real Traveller scarcity, try finding a copy of Supplement 5: Lightning Class Cruisers without the rest of the game.  You can although it's not common to see them seperate, but there's a twist to this little challenge.  About a dozen or so copies of Supplement 5 were specially printed and sent out to the game's developers without the game.  The scarcity is in finding one of those copies, not a copy that has been seperated from the rest of Azhanti High Lightning.

I do believe that those volumes would have the GDW developer's copy sticker that Game Designers' Worship would routinely put on the first ten copies of any LBB.