Monster manual edit copy?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:47 pm 

I have a monster manual.  Soft cover.  It's black and white cover.  The cover is not the cover on the regular run.  It's the same as the first page.  No logos anywhere. What the heck is this? I have a extensive first edition collection and just don't know where this fits. I see the soft cover UK edition but the cover is in color and the same as the US hardcover. It's just a very odd copy.

Last edited by coolkool on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:52 am 

Hello coolkool,  a pic would certainly help!
Ciaoo

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:14 pm 

coolkool wrote in Monster manual edit copy?:I have a monster manual.  Soft cover.  It's black and white cover.  The cover is not the cover on the regular run.  It's the same as the first page.  No logos anywhere. What the heck is this? I have a extensive first edition collection and just don't know where this fits. I see the soft cover UK edition but the cover is in color and the same as the US hardcover. It's just a very odd copy.

Agreed, post some pics.  Please also see the MM page @ Monster Manual to ID the printing, too.  What color are the endpapers?  What's the back cover look like?

My hunch is that the book's probably simply been rebound after the original binding broke and the cover separated, but pictures will certainly help to noodle through that.

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:03 pm 

I considered a rebind. But. The original owner claims to have had it since about 1980 and strongly claims it came to him as new. My thoughts are that the cover could have been made now but not then.  No scanners.  Copy machines were still new and easily recognized as a copy.  This is really not a photocopy of the first page.  and it's bound by machine exactly as my UK version. it's indistinguishable except image.  I just can't subscribe to the rebind theory. A lot of time and money would have been spent to fix a 10 dollar book you could easily rebuy new at the time. I'll upload some pics when I get home.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:27 pm 

It could potentially be one of the following.

• Galley proof
  • Page proof

While I'm also thinking rebind, galley and page proofs are pre-release copies of a book for authors and editors to look at prior to the book's publishing. Both the galley proof and page proof are cheaply printed, since they are not intended for public consumption. The difference between the two is the galley proof is intended to be written in. Corrections to the manuscript are made here. The page proof is meant for checking the layout of the book, and at this point authors and editors are discouraged from making changes. This is because changing a plate for a particular page is expensive. Both proofs can have artwork, though artwork is far less common on the galley proof since that proof is specifically for the editing of the text.

In any event, we need to see a picture of some of the inside pages so we can see what's going on here. But, in the unlikely event that it is a proof, even though it may be the only one still in existence galley proofs often aren't as valuable as a true first edition of the same book, simply because of their plain nature.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:30 pm 

Mystery solved.  After much research and asking a local book expert it has been identified as a library rebind. A very nice job to be sure but a rebind none the less.  Thanks for your fast replies.