AD&D Play set prototypes
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:09 pm 

Greetings Dungeons and Dragons fans, experts.
I have acquired a collection of AD&D 1980's play sets PROTOTYPES. There are Mock-up-proofs, Page proofs, Contact proofs, Color keys and Box art mix media proof. I have about 18 different pieces that include original art work in pen and pencil, The two play sets are COLOR AND BUILD CASTLE and CREATE YOUR OWN WALL PLAQUES. I have seen one of the play sets on line. I am hoping that someone with expertise in this area could either value this collection or direct me to an expert who could help me. [email protected]
I have included photos of 4 of the items. There are about 18 in total.  Thank you

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:09 pm 

Very interesting lot you have there.  Proofs of popular D&D items can go for quite a bit, but there is a wide range in the values.  From the three pictures you have here, these probably wouldn't be the most desirable pieces, but not sure what else you have.  Can you post a list of the other items and/or post photos?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:47 pm 

Thanks for the reply. The collection is all of the Mock up proofs, Page layout proofs, Contact proofs and Color Keys. They consist of some hand drawn and some proof sheet copies of the play set pieces. I have added a few more for viewing. The lot consists of over 20 pieces total . Thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:21 pm 

Hi Mike B,

a little more than a year ago, a number of photocopies and PMTs (B&W photo prints) were sold for LJN licensed toys. They sold anywhere from $20 to under $100. I posted links below.

The character one you posted to me seems more desirable than the castle wall ones even though the castle wall one is in color.
I'm not sure what would be a valuation of the Mock up proof.

I realize you're talking D&D but here's some Mock up production stuff similar to the type you have
here's an A-Team production set mock-up from

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

LJN character and monster sheets

(scroll down to see the pictures of the items in these because the original thumbnail photos don't live in the page anymore)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:40 pm 

Thank you very much. You all have been very helpful.  I would liked to have posted all of the photos of the pieces but it seems that we are limited to 3 photos per post. If you are interested in seeing the entire collection of photos I can send them to you with identification of the photos. My email is in the initial post. Again thanks to all of you who have contacted me and those who have posted replies, I am not sure how I will sell them but besides the email offers, I received, eBay seems like the obvious place.

Mike B

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:12 am 

Welcome to the board, Mike! Great first posts.  :D

I'm sure several people are interested, myself included, so please let us know how you decide to sell them if you choose to.

Carpe DM!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:33 am 

Thanks cdenham, Would you like me to email you the photos of the two prototype lots?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:46 pm 

Hi Mike---

Please email me pictures to [email protected].

Thanks!

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:58 pm 

Awesome to see those surface, I'm sure some of them are unique (for collecting purposes). Given the current prices for ultra-rares, you may want to start looking into a second home.
I wouldn't mention where you found them; if it turns out to be a flea market $10 sale, you'll cause the death of several members. IIRC, several years back someone opted for death by neo-otyugh after a 1st print woody was picked up at a yard sale for $5 a few miles from him.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:45 pm 

Thanks Deadlord..  Very excited about the lot. Added a few more.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:23 am 

Deadlord wrote in AD&D Play set prototypes: IIRC, several years back someone opted for death by neo-otyugh after a 1st print woody was picked up at a yard sale for $5 a few miles from him.

ACK! ACK! ACK!
Ok... Now I *REALLY* need to figure out how people advertise yard sales around here... Back home in La Crosse, WI, I would just have to open the paper on a Friday and there would be a whole section of the classifieds for Garage Sales. Here in Sacramento... Not so much.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:07 am 

Thanks for sharing the images of the Wall Plaques, Mike! Portions of each of the three plaques (Melf, Elkhorn and Strongheart) appear on page 12 of the D&D module XL1 Quest for the Heartstone as the pictures of the pre-gens. Just the figures without the background shown in the plaques. Elkhorn and Melf are signed by Timothy Truman, and Strongheart by Jeff Easley.

If you get a chance, could you post pictures of the other three Wall Plaques? Thanks!

Z

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:40 pm 

Greetings Z,  Notice how the "Evil Female Wizard" Was eventually named "SKYLLA" on the finished game.. The large one is for the "Color and Build PUZZLE". Thanks for your interest .  
Mike B

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:41 am 

Greetings AD&D collectors. I have received multiple emails with what members think is a fair price or value for the items that I have been discussing. I also have had an appraisal done yesterday at "Bruneau Auctioneers" and was pretty happy that the estimates that the forum members and the auctioneer estimates were about the same. I will be listing one of the sets (Color your own Dragon) on eBay this weekend under the user "ID-4".  Thanks again all whom have helped me.  Mike

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:26 pm 

Thanks for the additional pictures, Mike! The Warduke one looks different from the others - are you sure it went with this set? Isn't Kelek the 6th plaque shown in the packaging prototype?

Was the set of Plaques ever produced? I didn't think so, but I found one reference to it on a list compiled by Echohawk on EnWorld (he is also a member here).

AD&D 1st Edition 1st Edition AD&D Collector's Guide

Crafts
AD&D Action Scene Kit: Dungeon Invaders (August 1982)
AD&D Action Scene Kit: Orc War (August 1982)
AD&D Color Your Own Puzzles (sets A and B, April 1983)
AD&D Color Your Own Wall Plaques (sets A and B, April 1983)
AD&D Cool, Cool Candles (June 1983)
AD&D Role Playing Dioramas (June 1983)
AD&D Woodburning Set (June 1983)
AD&D Color & Build Castle (July 1983)

Of these, the Wall Plaques are the only ones he has no link/picture for, so perhaps he found reference to them somewhere in a catalog or product listing but they were unproduced. "Color Your Own Wall Plaques" doesn't yield any other hits on the net.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Last edited by Zenopus on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:35 pm 

The same character artwork appeared as some of the AD&D Puffy Stickers. (I had a few sets of these)

This pic is small, but I believe it has the same Elkhorn (Set 1), Kelek (Set 2), Strongheart (Set 3), Melf & Skylla (Set 4), Mercion (Set 5). Again, just the figures, not the background.
My hunch is the figures were drawn first by various artists and used in various products, and another artist added the backgrounds just for the Wall Plaque design.

Image source & Product info: STA:  Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Misc: Puffy Sticker Character Packs (Set of 6!)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:59 pm 

Thanks for the extra info Z. I do not know if the play sets were ever produced. I hope that makes the collection even more rare as these pieces could be  the only ones in the world.   I see the figures are the same as the Puffy stickers what your stating makes sense to me. I wonder then if these were before the stickers as Skylla has not been named in the one I have and is referred to as something else.  I have some of  the packaging proof prints for both the Puzzle play set and Plaques play set. I will attach photos.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:08 pm 

I have listed an item that I only had one piece of on eBay. It may also be a one of a kind as I do not see the item on the list you supplied . It is under the description ---- "AD&D Advanced Dungeons and Dragons TSR 1980's Pen and Poster set UNUSED sheet" Check that one out ..Its cool but maybe I should have waited to list this one also.... Who knows

Next