Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:54 pm 

What's your city/state jazzman?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:18 pm 

Pittsburgh, PA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:15 pm 

jazzman wrote in Second Print Wood Grain:Does anyone believe it could possibly fetch over 10k on Ebay? I was shocked that the first print in December went for 22k. Does anyone reading this have a first or second print and what would they need to get to part with it?

I want to jump in here on this comment. Not to be scolding anyone, but to anyone that may come through and read this later on. The 1st print that sold in December for $22,100 was special. It was determined on here that it was most likely to be Bill Hoyt's 1st print OD&D Set and the School Project that came with it was documented in The Strategic Review #3. The School Project and the association made that set unique, in a way.
It wouldn't be a good idea to assume that any other 1st Print Box Set is of the same caliber Pedigree as that grouping was.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:54 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Second Print Wood Grain:
jazzman wrote in Second Print Wood Grain:Does anyone believe it could possibly fetch over 10k on Ebay? I was shocked that the first print in December went for 22k. Does anyone reading this have a first or second print and what would they need to get to part with it?

I want to jump in here on this comment. Not to be scolding anyone, but to anyone that may come through and read this later on. The 1st print that sold in December for $22,100 was special. It was determined on here that it was most likely to be Bill Hoyt's 1st print OD&D Set and the School Project that came with it was documented in The Strategic Review #3. The School Project and the association made that set unique, in a way.
It wouldn't be a good idea to assume that any other 1st Print Box Set is of the same caliber Pedigree as that grouping was.

While I agree the background added some interest, I think the price was probably driven more by the very strong condition of the set. I think if a comparable condition 1st print came up it would fetch in the $20K range regardless of pedigree at the moment. Conversely, if this set had issues, like a beat up box etc, it might have only gotten half of what it did.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:08 am 

Grug Greyskin wrote in Second Print Wood Grain:
While I agree the background added some interest, I think the price was probably driven more by the very strong condition of the set. I think if a comparable condition 1st print came up it would fetch in the $20K range regardless of pedigree at the moment. Conversely, if this set had issues, like a beat up box etc, it might have only gotten half of what it did.

That set definitely was top condition but I do respectfully disagree. I'm fairly new to this though, so what do I know :D Chances are we could find out sooner than we think what would happen - seems to be a lot of pretty good stuff coming up all of the time and with records being set pretty regularly on Rares, you're probably going to be right on this one. I say chances are because, seeing high prices realized sure has a way of unlocking those collections.

The thing that has surprised me has been what low grade, high value books (modules, etc) realize. My background is more antiques, coins, stamps, etc so it's been pretty eye opening to me. I've seen it plenty of times in high value Modern Comic Books but I assume many times that it is just an inexperienced buyer or someone with a "gotta have it now, I don't care about the price" mentality.

On that note, I'm very curious to see what that 1st print 3 book set without box in Fair condition goes for tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply to my comment

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:56 pm 

Grug Greyskin wrote in Second Print Wood Grain: While I agree the background added some interest, I think the price was probably driven more by the very strong condition of the set. I think if a comparable condition 1st print came up it would fetch in the $20K range regardless of pedigree at the moment. Conversely, if this set had issues, like a beat up box etc, it might have only gotten half of what it did.

I just saw a water damaged 1st Print went for $6500, so a 'Minty" one could very much be in that $20K range - you are probably going to be right on that if one does come up sooner or later.

Previous