Second Print Wood Grain
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:16 am 

I have a second print wood grain box set. The box is really nice except for a dent on the bottom edge that doesn't tear the box. Edges aren't very wore. Couple of small very light stains on the top label. Like a couple of droplets of water hit it and created a water ring mark. Inside are three unused mint shape books. Don't appear to have been cracked open - ever. I peeked inside them gently and man are they nice. A mint correction sheet that has the bottom edge slightly curled from the box. Mint reference sheets. Also a mint order form for other Tactical Studies Rules stuff in red and black ink (Swords and Sorcery, Cavaliers and Roundheads). I know how a lot of people say mint shape but this is truly mint inside. It's like someone bought it or got it as a gift, stuck it in a sock drawer and forgot about it. It came from somewhere near Lake Geneva. I know it's not a first print but I have never seen any come up for sale in this condition.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:26 am 

Howdy, if you dont mind, some pics would be more than welcome!
Ciaoo

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:49 am 

Pictures 1
Attachment:
Woodgrain01.jpg

Attachment:
Woodgrain02.jpg

Attachment:
Woodgrain03.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:14 am 

Pictures 2
Attachment:
Woodgrain04.jpg

Attachment:
Woodgrain05.jpg

Attachment:
Woodgrain06.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:15 am 

Pictures 3
Attachment:
Woodgrain07.jpg

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:02 pm 

Well i d say that this copy can reach a new record if sold...  Simply beautiful!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:54 am 

jazzman wrote in Second Print Wood Grain:I have a second print wood grain box set. The box is really nice except for a dent on the bottom edge that doesn't tear the box. Edges aren't very wore. Couple of small very light stains on the top label. Like a couple of droplets of water hit it and created a water ring mark. Inside are three unused mint shape books. Don't appear to have been cracked open - ever. I peeked inside them gently and man are they nice. A mint correction sheet that has the bottom edge slightly curled from the box. Mint reference sheets. Also a mint order form for other Tactical Studies Rules stuff in red and black ink (Swords and Sorcery, Cavaliers and Roundheads). I know how a lot of people say mint shape but this is truly mint inside. It's like someone bought it or got it as a gift, stuck it in a sock drawer and forgot about it. It came from somewhere near Lake Geneva. I know it's not a first print but I have never seen any come up for sale in this condition.

Minty is right.  

"It came from somewhere near Lake Geneva."  Knowing the actual provenance could help the price.  

As a word of warning, the 2nd print woody for $10k was still on eBay last time I checked....

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:30 am 

I got it from a lady in Oconomowoc Wisconsin specifically. She got it at a "nearby" consignment auction.

That 10k second print sold. It was missing pages in one of the books and had some writing, creasing and staple rust if I recall.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:45 pm 

jazzman wrote in Second Print Wood Grain:I got it from a lady in Oconomowoc Wisconsin specifically. She got it at a "nearby" consignment auction.

That 10k second print sold. It was missing pages in one of the books and had some writing, creasing and staple rust if I recall.

You are correct!  Looks like an offer (less than the original $10k) was accepted on 02/12/17.  I can tell you it went for at least more than $3k, because that's what I offered, lol.  :)

Good luck when you put it up.  I'll be watching!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:00 am 

muaddib5 wrote in Second Print Wood Grain:
jazzman wrote in Second Print Wood Grain:I got it from a lady in Oconomowoc Wisconsin specifically. She got it at a "nearby" consignment auction.

You are correct!  Looks like an offer (less than the original $10k) was accepted on 02/12/17.  I can tell you it went for at least more than $3k, because that's what I offered, lol.  :)

Good luck when you put it up.  I'll be watching!

It sold for $4,999

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:41 pm 

I really don't want to sell this on EBay. What would be the best way to sell this if I decided to? Would I take offers in the classifieds forum?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:16 pm 

jazzman wrote in Second Print Wood Grain:I really don't want to sell this on EBay. What would be the best way to sell this if I decided to? Would I take offers in the classifieds forum?

Sure, you could sell it in our classifieds, but you could probably get more money through eBay.  But if you already know how much you want, you'd avoid ebay's fees by selling it here.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:08 pm 

Does anyone believe it could possibly fetch over 10k on Ebay? I was shocked that the first print in December went for 22k. Does anyone reading this have a first or second print and what would they need to get to part with it?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:32 pm 

There's some info about that advertisement here on Jon Peterson's blog. It's the ~third advertisement, from late 74/early 75:

Playing at the World: The Earliest Dungeons & Dragons Advertisements

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:24 pm 

jazzman wrote in Second Print Wood Grain:I really don't want to sell this on EBay. What would be the best way to sell this if I decided to? Would I take offers in the classifieds forum?

If you're on Facebook, check out the RPG Auctions group.  LOTS of activity (I've bought a bunch of stuff with no negative experiences, knock on wood).  

Your question about it bringing over $10k....anything is possible.  I would point to the most recent 2nd print woody that was on eBay.  Mister Spock said that set went for $4,999.  I think your set would go for more then $5k, IMHO.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:31 pm 

Here's the opposite side of the advertisement.

Attachment:
IMG_0454.JPG

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:46 am 

If you don t want to go via ebay then leave a classified here with open offers and clearly write that you will decide based on the offers you get...  It s gor free...

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:43 pm 

jazzman wrote in Second Print Wood Grain:Does anyone believe it could possibly fetch over 10k on Ebay? I was shocked that the first print in December went for 22k. Does anyone reading this have a first or second print and what would they need to get to part with it?

If you're box was better, you could get over 10K.

However... The Advertisement is a plus...

I don't know if that came with the box. Someone much older than I would be better able to tell you that.  :wink:

And my 1st print is not for sale (at the moment). Not even for some stupid price, since I'm fairly confident that I wouldn't get another one ever again...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord