Pinkies
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:11 pm 

I have a few, but mine are heavily eroded.

Is this the going rate?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:55 pm 

grubbiv wrote in Pinkies:I have a few, but mine are heavily eroded.

Is this the going rate?  ** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

The colors on my old school dice are quite varied, but I'm not aware of anyone collecting them by colour...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:19 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote in Pinkies:The colors on my old school dice are quite varied, but I'm not aware of anyone collecting them by colour...

The elder dice—and btw I'm choosing my words to not sound like a hip hop artist talking about an R&B musician—were not varied in color!

The pinkie was special because you only got it if you ordered the percentile dice. You got all the others, including the white d20, if you ordered the polyhedra dice.

Perhaps the dice were different in your land—how you spell color has not escaped notice. But take a look at p. 12 of the Holmes rulebook. The pinkie was the tens die and the whitey was the ones die in a percentile roll.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:26 am 

grubbiv wrote in Pinkies:...and btw I'm choosing my words to not sound like a hip hop artist talking about an R&B musician...

I have never been a fan of the appropriation of the term "old school" for D&D either, although I gave up and started using it long ago.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:55 pm 

The pink / white d20 percentile generators were also provided in some games like Boot Hill and Top Secret - at least the early printings.

I wrote a post about these dice here:
ZENOPUS ARCHIVES: TSR Percentile Dice in the 1970s

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:39 pm 

If you really want a pink die, you could probably get one made these days.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:08 am 

Dice history is something I wish were better known.

Who made the first d20 numbered 1 to 20 instead of 0 to 9 twice? This must have happened c. 1980.

Who ruined Platonic perfection and made the first d10? Also happened c. 1980. Why a pentagonal trapezohedron instead of a pentagonal bipyramid?

Who made the first d10 numbered 00 to 90. This is the die that replaced the pinkie.

The last question is a shill. Primary source in Dragon #156, April 1990, p. 73:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:19 pm 

Not to intentionally derail your thread here, but the advertisement above shows "Shade of the Sinking Plain" as a Gamescience "goodie" but was produced by ICE?  Co-produced by North Pole Publications?  Are they in some way affiliated with Gamescience?

~throwi

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:11 pm 

throwi wrote in Pinkies:Not to intentionally derail your thread here, but the advertisement above shows "Shade of the Sinking Plain" as a Gamescience "goodie" but was produced by ICE?  Co-produced by North Pole Publications?  Are they in some way affiliated with Gamescience?

~throwi

Probably a U.S. distributor or reseller. The Armory used to sell a lot of stuff they had not produced. Heck, even TSR, the Dungeon Hobby Shop, did.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:02 am 

Ah, true.  Wasn't think about distribution channels.  Just the production companies.  Good thinking!

~throwi

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:20 pm 

grubbiv wrote in Pinkies:Dice history is something I wish were better known.

Who made the first d20 numbered 1 to 20 instead of 0 to 9 twice? This must have happened c. 1980.

Didn't Tim Kask give a brief history somewhere on how polyhedral dice were provided to TSR?

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:27 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote in Pinkies:
grubbiv wrote in Pinkies:Dice history is something I wish were better known.

Didn't Tim Kask give a brief history somewhere on how polyhedral dice were provided to TSR?

I remember seeing it someplace, but I can't locate it right now...
I did find this though:
Playing at the World: How Gaming Got Its Dice

And then, if you are interested in the history of the notation we all know and love...
Playing at the World: The Origins of Dice Notation

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:30 pm 

There are stories by Zocchi that both he and TSR initially ordered the dice from Creative Publications. TSR eventually ordered directly from the manufacturer in Hong Kong. Zocchi had his own molds made.

This statement from the Peterson post is interesting if true:

Intriguingly, the supplier, Creative Publications of California, only sold their 20-sider in a set with four other dice: one of each Platonic solid

So pinkies were always ordered direct from Hong Kong? Did TSR ask for a second run of the d20 mold in another color?

There is an interesting dragonsfoot post by Jim Ward on why TSR ran out of dice in 1980. He blames the problem on Kevin Blume, who he says designed the dice that appeared in the Moldvay set. However, Zocchi says this in a boardgamegeek.com interview:

T.S.R. was the first company to make a ten-sided shape and sell 7 piece dice sets. They were the first to provide a d-20 which read 1-20. While everyone else making dice changed their 0-9 twice twenty-sided dice molds, I made the mistake of putting a + sign on half of the digits on my 20-sided dice.  These were very slow sellers and many gamers didn't want to add 10 to the numbers which came up with the plus sign. After losing a large market share to those who had 1-20 numbered dice, I made a 1-20 shape also.

If we put the two together, K.B., who is usually described as a non-gamer and even a villain, is responsible for the d10 and the d20 numbered 1 to 20!

I think Zocchi is a bit mistaken. The dice sets he was thinking of were the 6 piece sets that came in the Moldvay box.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:26 pm 

Coda:

** expired eBay auction **

For posterity, $30 including shipping, about 148 other dice came with.

Detail of the percentiles:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:20 am 

I have a single modern D10 that has a 10 instead of a 0, & was wondering how prevalent that is. No idea where it came from, as it was in my collection for a while before I noticed it. It's green with white numbers.

Re: your original post, Noble Knight had a bunch of '70s sealed TSR dice (set of 5) going for $12.50 each a few years ago, & I picked up a Holmes set with a sealed dice set for $10 not long ago.

Re: the dice in early Boot Hill or Top Secret, I've been told that these came with pinkies, but the catalog illustrations show a dark-red, 20-sided percentile die along with the white die. Were these just mock-ups for the photo, or an effect of color distortion in the photo, or did TSR sell red dice that quickly faded to pink? The latter would suggest that Kevin Blume was sourcing directly from the drow, which must have required all kinds of unholy pacts.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:57 pm 

From what I can tell on the photos in the catalog stuffed in some boxed sets, the photos were just a little dark, so the pinkie showed up as red (and the white rather gray to boot). Who's to say if they actually shipped that way, though.  :wink:

The Shadow knows!

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:31 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Pinkies:I have a single modern D10 that has a 10 instead of a 0, & was wondering how prevalent that is. No idea where it came from, as it was in my collection for a while before I noticed it. It's green with white numbers.

Does it have this pattern?

If so, dicecollector.com may have one from the same mold in his collection, but he doesn't know who the manufacturer was.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:33 pm 

grubbiv wrote in Pinkies:Does it have this pattern?

Yes, & I saw a photo of a differently patterned D1-10 at DiceCollector.com - WHAT KINDS OF DICE: POLYHEDRAL DICE : TEN SIDED DICE