Dave Sutherland's White Box
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:02 am 

Hey guys, I've come up against a choice I was hoping I would never have to make. I'm considering parting with my OD&D boxed set that Dave Sutherland gave me 25 years ago. A very rare and unique left-handed instrument has become available for sale and this item is the one thing I own that maybe comes close to it's value. And for me, making art must take precedence over collecting.

As some of you know, Dave sent me a big box of TSR product some time ago. He gave me his personal white box set with scribblings and notes. The set is in nice shape the box has a some wear. I will post detailed pics shortly. I have a letter from him verifying the exchange as well as some other items I may still have (sealed S3 for example).

I was hoping you could help me value the set as well as let me know if there is any way I can keep the authenticating letter for myself and possibly have a high-quality print made to go with the white box. I would like to keep the very personal letter as a momento. Also, any other advise on selling this here or elsewhere?

Cheers,
David

“Remember that generosity can be contagious…”  - Dave Sutherland III

eBay ID: themilford
Hidden Ebay ID: t***o

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:12 pm 

Heya.

On the last point... an actual letter & autograph from DCS has substantial value, while a copy is for information only.
Your call of course; there are some signed things that *I* won't part with, either. ;>

Scribblings and notes you say? There's the vein... need everything described, or pix. Major potential. (Any sketches? prolly not but...)

Lodes of vintage TSR have turned up fairly regularly, most commonly via former employees or friends thereof.
All shrink stuff is very very good, even when it's horrid.  :wink:
If the container box for all this says TSR (ie from the shipping dept), even that has value. 8O

F

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:45 pm 

Thanks Frank!

I'm really on the fence about this. I would have to get a fair amount to justify parting with some or part of it.

Here da goods:
https://www.facebook.com/david.gereg/me ... ploaded=27
Album is public... feel free to look.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:47 pm 

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:39 pm 

TheMilford wrote in Dave Sutherland's White Box:Thanks Frank!

I'm really on the fence about this. I would have to get a fair amount to justify parting with some or part of it.

Here da goods:

WOW...
8O  8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:05 pm 

Frank is by far the best expert I know of to approximate the value on such an item but I imagine it would bring a fair amount if the letter were to be included. I think it would bring above market price without the letter, but with the letter, it would really standout for the serious collector. That is nice set to have. Congrats! :)

Carpe DM!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:39 am 

Here da goods:

Thanks for posting the photos and especially the letter. He really was a great guy and a very imaginative artist.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:09 pm 

Here da goods:

Holy Crap that is Amazing!!!

I know you want to break up the set, but you'll get the most value for it if you sell it as a whole... The letter ties all those products together perfectly!

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord