lots of old mags in NZ
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:12 am 

Hi all,
For some strange reason my partner has insisted the huge pile of old game stuff I have stored in my mancave for thirty years has to go. So I am getting rid of it. I have a big pile of 1980s and 1990s Dragon and Dungeon magazines as well as assorted other RPG stuff including 2E rule books and assorted stuff from some other game companies.  Trouble is I am in New Zealand, so the postage costs make it too expensive to give away or sell cheap especially if I do it in single items.

for example, I have early Dungeon mags, issues 9, 11,13,14,16,17,19,22 and 24. Are these worth going to the bother of putting them up on ebay, given that postage costs from NZ will be up to $20 US per issue, or about $80 as a group, from looking at current ebay prices.
I also have Dragon mags assorted issues from 153-350s
there isnt much of a market for them here and it would be a shame to throw them out.
Tuoni

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:52 am 

Tuoni wrote in lots of old mags in NZ:Hi all,
For some strange reason my partner has insisted the huge pile of old game stuff I have stored in my mancave for thirty years has to go. So I am getting rid of it. I have a big pile of 1980s and 1990s Dragon and Dungeon magazines as well as assorted other RPG stuff including 2E rule books and assorted stuff from some other game companies.  Trouble is I am in New Zealand, so the postage costs make it too expensive to give away or sell cheap especially if I do it in single items.

for example, I have early Dungeon mags, issues 9, 11,13,14,16,17,19,22 and 24. Are these worth going to the bother of putting them up on ebay, given that postage costs from NZ will be up to $20 US per issue, or about $80 as a group, from looking at current ebay prices.
I also have Dragon mags assorted issues from 153-350s
there isnt much of a market for them here and it would be a shame to throw them out.
Tuoni

You have come to the right place!  You may want to do a search on this site as quite a few people have asked similar questions about their collections over the years.  The bottom line is that the more information you give to us, the more we can tell you about what is worth selling and what is not.  Making a list of what you have is a good start but nothing is so informative as some pictures.  The main thing pictures don't communicate is odor so stating if they have a mildew or smoke smell is helpful.  If you have highlighted information inside or have markings like underlining or notes in the margin, buyers want to know that information.

Just from what you state here, you have some items worth listing on eBay.  The Dungeon Magazines, for example, are likely worth listing (depending on condition).  I'd probably list them in bundles of four or five magazines each.  The Dragon Magazines are probably not worth listing except for significant issues like #200.  If the items are rare enough, shipping is not as big a concern as you might think. Plus, there are buyers right there in your country and nearby Australia, and they'll be especially interested in your items.  I believe eBay allows you to list up to fifty items for free each month, so really there is little financial risk.  Plus, there are members on these forums from Australia, and they may have additional insights or helpful connections.  Perhaps some library, college, or gaming club would love to have your Dragon Magazine collection, so don't throw them away too quickly.

I hope you'll reply with a list of items and some photos.  We like looking at folk's collections.  You never know, you might have something unusually rare!   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:12 pm 

Thanks, I have been sorting through the stuff I have and taking photos of some. here are the Dungeon magazines. All are in fairly good condition but some have price stickers on them. sorry about my toes!

Attachment:
IMG_3364.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_3365.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_3366.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:43 pm 

Great pictures!  Keep them coming!  By the way, there's no need to post pictures of your Dragon Magazines unless they are issue #50 or below.

As to these issues of Dungeon, you can sell them in lots or you could sell them individually, especially if they are the older issues.  Issue #19 stands out because it has the Deck of Many Things included (or does it?).  Issue 100 is also popular mainly because of its number.  It's likely worth around $10-$12 by itself.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:10 pm 

benjoshua wrote in lots of old mags in NZ: Issue #19 stands out because it has the Deck of Many Things included (or does it?).

the last four pages of the magazine has art for B&W cards and intructions for cutting the pages out and laminating them, so not as exciting as it looks. it does mention that a set of full colour cards is included in that months Dragon magazine (August 1989 #148) so I will see if I have that one.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:35 pm 

Here are the Dragons that are anniversary issues, plus some old 'Best of Dragon' compilations from 1981 (some water damage), 1983 and 1986.
issue 200, issue 296 (26yrs) issue 344 (30yrs) and the final Dragon issue 359 (does not have the poster)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:23 pm 

If there is a free buy and sell website that is popular in NZ or Australia, your best bet is probably to list them there.  At $20 and individual issue, and $80 shipping for a large lot, they will be a tough to sell to anyone in North America or Europe.

I typically sell most bulk Dragon magazines for $1 and Dungeon magazines for $3-$4 each.  I find it difficult to sell these to the US from Canada because shipping is a $10-$15 more expensive than shipping within the US and there are simply lots available.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:33 am 

yup there is Buy online and sell with NZ's #1 auction & classifieds site | Trade Me
I also advertised on a local game forum and a guy is coming round to pick them up this weekend.  Anything he doesnt want I will try to give away at my local rpg con which is in a couple of weeks. thanks for the help, I mainly wanted ot make sure i wasnt sitting on something super rare!