Domesday Collection
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:47 am 

webrik33 wrote in Domesday Collection:I'm guessing maybe the price was garnered from the prices listed here on the site?

No offense to anyone on here, but I was thinking the same thing.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:17 pm 

Yes, of course the seller came up with a price based upon the numbers listed here.

My point was that it is missing page 7 (as Melnibonean pointed out) and it has stains and lord only knows what is going on with the cover sheet.

I have the typewritten originals of issues 12, 13 and 14. They are not in Mint or Near Mint condition. I have seven other Domesday books. They are not in Near Mint condition. I highly doubt that there are any multi-page Domesday books that are in NM or better condition.

We all realize that the prices on this site are "best current guesses" and are highly speculative when dealing with such rare items. I have made this point ad nauseam, but the difference between a NM condition item and a VG item should be something like 3 to 1 or more, to say nothing of the spread between NM and Fair. Or needless to say, Fair but missing page 7.

It is a fact that with items this rare people will "overpay" to have a copy regardless of the condition. And I realize that I might feel differently if I didn't have a copy of this issue. In my opinion the "value" of a fair condition (let's pretend for a moment that it was complete) copy should perhaps be $1000. Then the "value" of a VF condition copy should be $8,000-$10,000.

But the one up for sale currently is not complete.

Shrink is not a condition

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:46 pm 

Ordinarily the Acaeum prices are very useful because they represent actual sales. When there are only a handful of sales of Domesday Books in the last ten years (with the last few years being an extreme rising rate environment) the decision to start at $8565 for a NM copy and then work slowly downward where a VG copy represents 60% of that price legitimizes those prices. I guess I am suggesting that in the absence of sales, the site should post asterisks in the fields if there have been no corresponding sales. Because this wonderful site (thank you Foulfoot once daily and twice on Sunday) has become THE de facto collecting site for our hobby.

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:47 am 

I agree with Strat; without a decent number of prior sales it is difficult to put a value on something. However, the oldest rule in the book still applies: An item is worth what someone can sell it for, plain and simple. If someone wants to pay $8K for a douched Domesday, then that is what it is worth. A month later, the guy may try to sell it and only get $4K. That is what it is worth. Using past sales as a value point is OK, but again, in reality an item is worth what a person will pay for it at any given time.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Previous