Domesday Collection
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:25 pm 

Hey guys, I have recently acquired a rather large collection of 1970's era books, games, letters, score-cards, maps, and other handwritten war/fantasy games. These include ORIGINAL Domesday Books, Chainmail, Boot Hill, and numerous others... I'm not very familiar with any of this stuff and I am just trying to get more information on what I have here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Trying to get together an inventory of things, but there are 50+ items here. Thank you!
Julia

Attachment:
image1.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:34 pm 

Hi Juliab and welcome!

You truly acquired some very valuable items it appears. I would first check out the price listings from the links on the front page...this will give you a general idea. Just a Doomsday book can easily fetch several thousands!

Domesday Book

I would post an itemized list, with pictures and any details (damage, writing, etc.)

You will probably get the most bang for your buck off Ebay but if you decide to sell outside Ebay post in the classifieds to reach the full audience here!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:35 pm 

juliab wrote in Domesday Collection:Hey guys, I have recently acquired a rather large collection of 1970's era books, games, letters, score-cards, maps, and other handwritten war/fantasy games. These include ORIGINAL Domesday Books, Chainmail, Boot Hill, and numerous others... I'm not very familiar with any of this stuff and I am just trying to get more information on what I have here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Trying to get together an inventory of things, but there are 50+ items here. Thank you!
Julia

Attachment:
image1.JPG

You have come to the right place!  

Following up on what Iordan said, the more information you give us on each object, the more we can tell you about what it is and its likely value.  The title and author is a good start, but there's nothing more helpful than a picture.  There are many older items which have multiple printings, and often the cover can reveal its release date or year.  Furthermore, pictures give us a good idea of condition, although it won't reveal smells or mildew, two significant negatives.  Just to save you time, you may want to start with a list of items, and then we can tell you which items have potential to be higher in value depending on its printing, condition, or other factors.  There's more I could say, but let's start with that.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:43 pm 

Thank you guys! I am headed to work at the moment but I will try to get a list typed up tonight (hopefully). They have all been kept in a box for what seems like decades, and are almost all in extremely great condition. Some of the worst ones have a few smudges/stains, but they all just smell like old books at a library do. I will keep you guys posted!

P.s. So far I have found 3 Domesday issues :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:39 pm 

Hi Juliab, sounds like one of the top finds of all times, congrats - those are some pretty awesome items :). I'd love to hear the story of how you found them if you're ok sharing that, nothing like a little vicarious RPG collecting!

I'm sure the group will share lots of details on those items, plus there's lots of history on this site. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what they'll sell for...

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:25 pm 

juliab wrote in Domesday Collection:Hey guys, I have recently acquired a rather large collection of 1970's era books, games, letters, score-cards, maps, and other handwritten war/fantasy games. These include ORIGINAL Domesday Books, Chainmail, Boot Hill, and numerous others... I'm not very familiar with any of this stuff and I am just trying to get more information on what I have here. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Trying to get together an inventory of things, but there are 50+ items here. Thank you!
Julia

Attachment:
image1.JPG

Wow!  What a score!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:53 pm 

Truly.

Amazing collection! I hope you share more pictures and some history.

Carpe DM!

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:32 pm 

Hello everyone,

I apologize for the delay, but cataloging all of these items has been extremely time consuming. I have attached a Word Document of the first 25 items (I am still only about 40% of the way through), including pictures, descriptions and comments on appearance. I do want to mention that not a single item has any type of "odor" or mildew (as far as I can tell). They seem like they have been kept in storage or out of reach for quite  a while. I would greatly appreciate any input on these items, as I have only found information on a few while doing online research.

To address the history question, it seems that the collection originally belonged to a Charles Wranovics Jr, who I have found to be deceased as of Nov 25 2005. Many of the items are either post marked to him or have his initials/signature. There are many letters to and from Charles as well as notes/hand written manuals from him. I can not find much information on the man, and I am very interested to know if he was one of the original members or if anyone knows of him.

Again, I appreciate all of the interest and help I have received so far! I will upload the next set of the inventory list as I complete it. I am not listing these items in any order, just grabbing the first thing I reach from the boxes, I apologize for any confusion.

Thanks,
Julia

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:32 pm 

juliab wrote in Domesday Collection:To address the history question, it seems that the collection originally belonged to a Charles Wranovics Jr, who I have found to be deceased as of Nov 25 2005. Many of the items are either post marked to him or have his initials/signature. There are many letters to and from Charles as well as notes/hand written manuals from him. I can not find much information on the man, and I am very interested to know if he was one of the original members or if anyone knows of him.

The name doesn't ring any bells to me, FWIW, and it doesn't appear in the index of Playing at the World.  A google search doesn't find anything more useful than his obit, unfortunately.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:30 pm 

Hello all,

I really appreciate all of the help I have received so far with this collection appraisal and general questions I have had. I also appreciate the patience everyone has shown; it has taken me quite some time to do the cataloging I have so far.

I have another list of 25 more items in the boxes; I am nearing the end now. I will upload the final list as soon as I finish. Any input on any specific item or even the whole collection would be great! I haven't found too much information on a lot of these items still.

Thanks guys,

Julia

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:25 pm 

grodog wrote in Domesday Collection:
juliab wrote in Domesday Collection:To address the history question, it seems that the collection originally belonged to a Charles Wranovics Jr, who I have found to be deceased as of Nov 25 2005. Many of the items are either post marked to him or have his initials/signature. There are many letters to and from Charles as well as notes/hand written manuals from him. I can not find much information on the man, and I am very interested to know if he was one of the original members or if anyone knows of him.

The name doesn't ring any bells to me, FWIW, and it doesn't appear in the index of Playing at the World.  A google search doesn't find anything more useful than his obit, unfortunately.

He does leave a trace or two in IFW publications; I see a Wranovics in the roster of 1971 IFW members.

Author of Playing at the World, The Elusive Shift, Game Wizards co-author of D&D Art & Arcana and Heroes's Feast

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:21 pm 

increment wrote in Domesday Collection:He does leave a trace or two in IFW publications; I see a Wranovics in the roster of 1971 IFW members.

&nd so another figure has been added to the ranks of historical personages. I suppose that while we're at it, someone should also build a large, monumental statue in honor of Charles Wranovics Jr. in the fictional world of Greyhawk. Hold on, I'll get my campaign notes..there, just did it. It's on hex S2-54, everyone! Be sure & have your serfs send flowers or something nice.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:15 pm 

Ranovix the Sage (NPC)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:31 pm 

Ranovix the Sage is keeper of the Domesday Book, the official record of who-owes-what in taxes to the king. Many of the taxed mis-pronounce it as Doomsday Book, resisting it with such fervor that tax collection is an activity more resembling warfare than modern governance. Which is why archeologists first mistook it for a wargaming fanzine.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:53 am 

Hello Everyone,

I have received multiple emails over the holidays as to the rest of the items, and I do apologize for the delay.

So, here it is - the 3rd List of my inventory.

Attachment:
INventory List - Wargames 2016 Part 3.docx

As always, thank you for any input and comments

Julia

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:42 pm 

Chainmail, Swords & Spells, D&D Collection selling on eBay

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:50 pm 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:15 pm 

Well if you're asking for an appraisal, I'd say $458 per stained page seems a little high to me.

Shrink is not a condition

Next