Quirky oddity in my 9th Ed. Player's Handbook
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:41 pm 

I have a 9th Ed. Player's Handbook with a sticker on front, ISBN number, but no upc barcode. Seems at odds with the description of that edition on the Acaeum's listing. Rare?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:35 pm 

The only truly valuable PHB's are pre-4th.  While your book is a curiosity, it's not all that valuable.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:44 pm 

Freebuoy:

While I do not believe there to be any rarity or value of this item, it is an interesting piece of information. If others of a similar description are discovered it may confirm a separate printing.

I notice in the Acaeum's current description that, "a version has been spotted with an ISBN; this particular version has no sticker on the front". That may be of the same printing as the one you mention or perhaps the other had the sticker removed.

For printing information enthusiasts like myself this is valuable information.
Thanks for the post.

Cheers,
Curt

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:00 am 

Well, the Acaeum listing does state that there has been a version spotted with the "ISBN number but no sticker on the front cover" - yours seem to have the sticker.

The Acaeum listing could be in error in the respect that the sticker may have been simply "removed".  I know that if I had bought a book back then and it had a sticker on the front cover, the first thing I would do is carefully remove it.

Even now, after the stickers have sat for nearly 20 years, I have removed at least four of these from the front covers of Player's Handbooks and left no trace that they were ever there.  In fact, I didn't even realize it was a distinguishing factor for prints until I just read the Acaeum description a minute ago.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:30 pm 

Thanks for the info, guys.