Grenadier Wizzards and Warriors
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:27 pm 

My quest to identify these figures continues.  What I thought at first were the contents of the Grenadier AD&D Monsters box set (5002) now seem to be a puzzle.  Some of the figures are from that set, but many appear to be from the earlier Wizzards and Warriors line.  (The vampire, fire elemental, and demon, in particular appear to be unique to the W&W line.)

I also have a Wizzards and Warriors red dragon.

Anyone know anything about these, in terms of collectability?  Are they more desirable than the licensed AD&D figures?  Less?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:25 am 

The Monsters set can be a puzzle at times, as it went through a series of changes from Wizzards & Warriors to AD&D to Dragon Lords. Some figures were native to one set, some migrated from set to set, and some had several sculpting variations - the demon (balrog), for example, had two variations (sword raised) in the W&W set, and a new sculpt (sword held across the body) when the AD&D set was released.

With regards to collectability, in general the licensed AD&D sets & blisters tend to do slightly better than W&W items. But some W&W minis like the Giant Purple Worm and Expansion Kit are always hot sellers, and the W&W scenery blisters/bags are fairly rare.

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:07 pm 

Yeah, that's what I've been observing, which is why this assortment is such a puzzle.  Some of the figures are clearly W&W (the demon, for instance, and the upright ghoul and mummy with his arm upraised,) while others are clearly from the AD&D line (the very human-looking medusa.)

Thanks for the feedback, in any event!