Rolemaster Box Set 1st Edition 1982 Monochrome
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:50 pm 

Trying to come up with a fair value for this box set and just not a lot of information out there for the 1st edition. Some of the components from it can be found at Noble Knight, but it has been my experience that their prices are skewed on the high side. I have added a few quick and dirty pictures so you can see what I have and condition. Thanks in advance guys and if anyone is really chomping at the bit for this item feel free to message me.

Rob

Attachment:
Rolemaster Box Set (3) (Medium).jpg

Attachment:
Rolemaster Box Set (1) (Medium).jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:41 am 

Howdy, firstly one of the best resources available is here:

ICE Products -- ICEWEBRING

Then pls check the exact contents of you box...  At a fist glimpse,  there is a RM 1st edition (20/30 usd in vg or higher condition), a character law (10/15 bucks for vg+) and a MERP Umbar which usually reaches higher values (60/80 bucks for vg+).
Then i miss if there is smtg else...
Hope it helps.

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:54 am 

Thanks! I checked out the web ring earlier, but didn't see anyway to interact with the good folks over there to find out more. I think this webpage at Wayne's Book is a little more descriptive of the different variations.

Rolemaster - Wayne's Books RPG Reference

It appears to me that I have the first printing of the first edition of the box set as I have everything that is in the picture on the website.  

Also In my picture you see the MERP Umbar picture, but unfortunately for me that is just an advertisement for it and not the actual booklet. I will take that out of the box set.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:01 pm 

If its an advertising sheet and you got it with this set then it probably belongs - I'd leave it in.

Unfortunately, the Rolemaster boxed set (even though they are early) don't really command a lot a money.  My best guess would be around $25-$30 but even at that price it may take some time to sell.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:47 pm 

it all depends upon the condition of the box. there aren't many of these black box covers (much like the 1971 Topps baseball card set that has a black border) in really nice shape. They also have split corners very often (lots of books held inside a small space, but with room to move because box is bigger than 9"x12"=damaged boxes). I would pay $50 for a NM 1st print box.

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:06 am 

Do you know which one is the first print box? Brown "Book II Of the Essence" or  parchment like version?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:09 am 

I'll just add that I'd be interested in this boxed set if it were for sale (and complete of course).

~throwi

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:31 pm 

Mars wrote in Rolemaster Box Set 1st Edition 1982 Monochrome:Do you know which one is the first print box? Brown "Book II Of the Essence" or  parchment like version?

The Of the Essence Book II appears to me to be the parchment like version. It was my understanding that the the first print box did not have a UPC on the back (This one does not) so that is how I am coming to that conclusion.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:36 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Rolemaster Box Set 1st Edition 1982 Monochrome:it all depends upon the condition of the box. there aren't many of these black box covers (much like the 1971 Topps baseball card set that has a black border) in really nice shape. They also have split corners very often (lots of books held inside a small space, but with room to move because box is bigger than 9"x12"=damaged boxes). I would pay $50 for a NM 1st print box.

Well with the box sets the condition of the box is always problematic! This box does not exhibit much of the "crushing" that I have seen where they have had a lot of heavier items placed on them, but it does have a mark left over from what looks like the removal of a price sticker, the corners and edges have wear, and one of the corners is torn.... so not near mint!

Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:40 pm 

Thanks to everyone for their feedback!

I will probably take a lot of pictures of the item(s), put it up on ebay at a reasonable starting bid price and do a 10 day auction. I will post the URL to the auction when I have it up on either Sunday or Monday.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:24 pm 

Took me a little longer to get this up on ebay than I had expected, but here is the link. Rolemaster 1st Edition 1st Print Box Set 1982 Stock RM 1800 RARE Ice 1000 | eBay 10 Day Auction starting at $29

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:52 pm 

Horse, I believe I have one that is missing the lid. Did you figure out if yours is complete?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:14 pm 

What I don't know if I have complete are the loose leaf pages. I remember trying to figure out Role Master tables when I was 12 and it isn't that much easier as an adult. What I have on those are:

•Claw Law - Loose leaf pages numbered 11.0 - 11.72 - 11 total pages
•Arms Law (8.0) Tables - loose leaf pages number 8.23 through 8.74 - 15 total pages
•Spell Law Tables - loose leaf page numbered 10.1 though 10.84 - 6 total pages

I am probably going to pull my auction though. No bids and starting at $29 with only a day to end. I might just want to keep it myself!