The Strategic Review #6 plus a bunch of other stuff...
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:36 pm 

Heya, folks,

A buddy stumbled across a little trove from the 70's, and I'm helping him sort through it.

To my eye, the gem of the collection is a copy of The Stretegic Review #6.  The cover is nice and flat, there's some staple rust.  There's a small green label sticker on the front cover; if it had any writing, it seems to have faded.

Also included in the lot are a whole heap of older JG products (All three City State booklets, Guide to the City State, Tegel Manor, City State of the World Emperor, Dark Tower, Ref sheets, and so forth--still going through those.)

Also also included was a large heap of old minis.  I see Heritage, Custom Cast, and early Partha, plus a lot I just plain can't identify.

Now, for the bad news: these weren't stored well, and the box is smelling musty.  I haven't been able to go through and figure out what has mildew damage and what doesn't yet.  I'm almost afraid to.

So, questions:

1. Anyone have any idea what approximate price range TSR #6 commands nowadays?
2. Is there a proper way to care for minis this old?  I hesitate to just pop them in a jar of Pine Sol, but I'm worried about lead rot.
3. Is there a way to counter the musty smell on the items that aren't actually mildewed?  I'd like to help him rescue as much of this trove as possible.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:07 pm 

Phentari wrote in The Strategic Review #6 plus a bunch of other stuff...:So, questions:
2. Is there a proper way to care for minis this old?  I hesitate to just pop them in a jar of Pine Sol, but I'm worried about lead rot.

I'll let other people answer the other two questions.  Lead rot is a real concern for older minis, but I would not go the Pine Sol route to preserve and store them.   As soon as the jar gets broken, or the plastic container cracks, you've got a real mess.  Pine Sol is one possibility to remove old paint, but Simple Green is better in my opinion.  One week or so in Simple Green and an old toothbrush should get rid of most old paint.

If your friend wants to keep the minis, I recommend washing all minis in water, scrubbing them lightly with an old toothbrush to remove any lead rot already present.  You will remove paint on top of unseen lead rot as well for minis that are painted.  Then dry them.  For painted minis where you like the paint job, I'd spray them with Dulcote, including the bottom of the base.  For paint jobs you don't like, remove the paint with Simple Green, then wash and dry them, and then spray them with primer, including the bottom of the base.  The primer should protect them until they are painted, even if it is years later. Armory makes a good, grey spray primer.  Then store them in a box where they won't bump into each other much, or at all.

If your friend wants to sell them, forget all that and sell them as is.  Do not go to any trouble washing, priming or whatever.  People sell minis like that all the time.  Just state in the listing that they are old, probably contain lead, and show close-up photos of everything.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:06 pm 

Phentari wrote in The Strategic Review #6 plus a bunch of other stuff...:1. Anyone have any idea what approximate price range TSR #6 commands nowadays?

Hey Phentari,

The values listed on the Dragon periodical index (Dragon Index) are up-to-date.  A Very Fine copy of #6 will sell for about $34.

Phentari wrote in The Strategic Review #6 plus a bunch of other stuff...:3. Is there a way to counter the musty smell on the items that aren't actually mildewed?  I'd like to help him rescue as much of this trove as possible.

Check out some hints in our Mold & Mildew articles:  Mold Mildew

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:49 pm 

Appreciate the advice, guys.  Thanks!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:41 am 

Phentari wrote in The Strategic Review #6 plus a bunch of other stuff...:3. Is there a way to counter the musty smell on the items that aren't actually mildewed?  I'd like to help him rescue as much of this trove as possible.

I came across some digest magazines a while back that smelled strongly of cigarette smoke.  I bought something called Gonzo Odor Eliminator at Home Depot.  It's a mesh bag of basically white volcanic rocks.  I kept the rocks and books together in a plastic tub for a few days, and it really helped.  I eventually sold them and reported they had a faint cigarette smell, and the buyer wrote back and said he couldn't really detect that smell at all.  Might be worth a rather inexpensive try for the musty odor.