IDD:  Escape from the Minotaur's Lair
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:13 pm 

All,

Any idea what the rarity is of this booklet?  Also, 1981 seems sort of late for non-TSR modules meant for D&D (without specifically calling out D&D in the module), but does anybody know if this is one of those non-TSR items in the same vein as the early Wee Warriors adventures?

Thanks.

Attachment:
IMG_5479.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_5480.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:34 pm 

there was a seller that flooded the market with those over the last several years. I think they used to go over $100, now I think you can get them in the $40 range. Someone else will have to chime in with some actual sales info.

edit: or less..

** expired eBay auction **

btw, here's some previous sales from someone else in 2013 who sold 3 copies
I'm sure there's no way you could get that much money now
eBay.com Item Purchase History  

edit2:
I found one sale that happened within the last six months for $99.95 (but I can't actually pull up the auction page).
And one for $42.04 within the last year (pretty sure this was the one I remembered)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:06 pm 

A few years ago, this would have been considered quite rare but as mentioned, lately (the last 3-4 years), the market has been "flooded"; where "flooded" is defined as probably 20 copies or so (which is often enough to satisfy most of the collectors interested).

These have popped up from 2 or 3 different sellers with multiple copies.  IDD's other book:  Bane of Bryreville is still somewhat rare so the best buy IMHO out there right now is:

** expired eBay auction **

There is some historical sales documented on The Tome of Treasures here:
Tome of Treasures :: View topic - RPG by Publisher A-L Summary

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:41 pm 

I honestly think that seller went through more than the 20. He was going through "2nd chance offers" left and right behind the scenes not to mention if you called up the store directly. I'm guessing it was as high as 40 copies, but as you say that's more than enough to fill the void of most of the collectors out there. I bet he still has another 5 or 10 stashed away.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:40 pm 

Great information, thanks!  Looks like I'll be holding onto it and incorporating it into our bi-weekly D&D game :-).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:06 am 

misterspock wrote in IDD:  Escape from the Minotaur's Lair:I honestly think that seller went through more than the 20. He was going through "2nd chance offers" left and right behind the scenes not to mention if you called up the store directly. I'm guessing it was as high as 40 copies, but as you say that's more than enough to fill the void of most of the collectors out there. I bet he still has another 5 or 10 stashed away.

It was closer to 50...I bought half a dozen myself.   For awhile I even suspected the authenticity of these since they were being put up so often and the condition was near perfect.  Still not 100% sure some weren't copies (in the copies I bought, size was different on several of these).

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:35 am 

Of the copies, I've had over the years, the height of the books have not been completely consistent - I was thinking maybe there were 2 prints of Minotaur's Lair or possibly inconsistent cutting/trimming.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:43 pm 

Mars wrote in IDD:  Escape from the Minotaur's Lair:Of the copies, I've had over the years, the height of the books have not been completely consistent - I was thinking maybe there were 2 prints of Minotaur's Lair or possibly inconsistent cutting/trimming.

I suspect the same thing....there are two distinct sizes, I think it's not too much of a leap to say there were at least two printings.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com