Dungeons and Dragons Collection Help
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:08 pm 

Good Evening All,
After posting a request for advice regarding some items on the Role Playing Games & Miniatures (Sales & Trades ) on FB, and several of the members (Jim Kitchen and Jason Zavoda specifically) advised me to join the group here and post within the forum for help. In the nutshell, I've been collecting OD&D and AD&D memorabilia since the late 70's, and I seem to have a couple of items that are somewhat hard to find, and one set of books that is very hard to find.

The books are from the sixth printing of the Original Collector Edition of OD&D, and the box, while still very intact has some wear to it. The real treasure is that the three original books, the reference sheet and the five supplements were all autographed by Gary Gygax at Imagincon in Virginia Beach, Virginia back in 2000. Also, the three rule books, reference sheet and the Blackmoor supplement was signed by Dave Arneson back in 2003 at GenCon. It was brought to attention that the fact that I possess four books and the reference sheet signed by both Gary and Dave is rare.

The other two items, while not nearly as rare, are hard to find. The first is a set of minis from the Fineous Fingers miniature collection from 1982. The second item is a faux suede RPGA dice bag. Both of these items were purchased in either 1982 or 1983 at my first GenCon, while I was stationed onboard USS Enterprise. Both of these items were used in my game until some years ago (I honestly didn't know that the dice bag was a collectible).

I suppose my biggest question is how do you appraise something like the books? I'm in no hurry to sell them, but at the same time I don't want to get taken. I did reach out to Noble Knights, and they made me an offer that is nowhere near what Jim and Jason told me I should expect from an auction (which, in truth, really doesn't surprise me). I've attached a few of pictures of the collection, and I can take more if someone thinks I need to concentrate on particular parts of the books. Condition wise, the box has done what it was designed for; it has protected the books very well. Of the eight supplements, the worst of them is number four, the Gods, Demigods and Heroes book, as I used it for some time before the Deities and Demigods manual came out. The back cover is a little dirty, and I foolishly wrote my name on the inside cover. All the other books, are in very nice condition, though a couple show a little rust on the staples (how can I clean those up?).

Any advice, suggestions or wisdom would be very much appreciated. I honestly don't know what the final outcome of these items will be, but I thank you for your guidance. Take care one and all and have a good evening.

Regards,
Rex Barre
Virginia Beach, Virginia

[email protected]
[email protected]

Attachment:
IMG_0056.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0055.JPG

Attachment:
Boxed Set Books.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:20 pm 

A few more pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:39 pm 

ADNDgamer wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Collection Help:The first is a set of minis from the Fineous Fingers miniature collection from 1982.

A collector on these forums by the name of Egg of Coot would be very interested in this item.  A complete set, if un-painted and un-primed, and in good condition, would be worth somewhere between $50.00 and $60.00, maybe more.  I sold a Fineous Fingers figure for almost $10.00 plus shipping recently.  Egg of Coot is also an accomplished painter, and has painted this whole set at least twice, so if you want to keep the set, he would be my choice to paint it up right.   8)

Welcome to the Acaeum!   You've come to the right place.  :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:45 am 

benjoshua wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Collection Help:
ADNDgamer wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Collection Help:The first is a set of minis from the Fineous Fingers miniature collection from 1982.

A complete set, if un-painted and un-primed, and in good condition, would be worth somewhere between $50.00 and $60.00, maybe more.  

As a point of reference, I sold a set of these (with the original box) for $150 last year.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:14 pm 

grodog wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Collection Help:
benjoshua wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Collection Help:
A complete set, if un-painted and un-primed, and in good condition, would be worth somewhere between $50.00 and $60.00, maybe more.  

As a point of reference, I sold a set of these (with the original box) for $150 last year.

I wonder how much the box helped the price?  Certainly not $90.00, but I could see it adding 20% to the final price, especially if it's in great shape.  My price evaluation was from a sale back almost ten years ago, and the minis alone could have easily doubled in price.  It's also very possible my memory is faulty of that old sale.  They are great minis.  In the photo above, the paint job looks pretty good, and that should be more of a plus than a minus.   8)

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:14 pm 

Thank you benjoshua; I must admit that the minis are in need of a repaint, as when I originally painted the set, I did not seal them, and paint has rubbed off of them from use in my games.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:23 pm 

ADNDgamer wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Collection Help:Thank you benjoshua; I must admit that the minis are in need of a repaint, as when I originally painted the set, I did not seal them, and paint has rubbed off of them from use in my games.

Yeah, upon closer inspection, I see what you are talking about.  By the way, I recommend if you repaint you also paint the underside of the base.  Primer and paint help keep the lead away from hands that could then be transferred to eyes, nose or mouth.  Even if they don't contain lead, it's a good habit when painted older minis.   8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:39 pm 

There's an OCE White Box set up on eBay now, with Gary's signature on the books.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

This should give you some sense of a floor on the set.  As you were told, it is very rare to find anything signed by both Gary and Dave.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:40 am 

Welcome!  Glad you made it.  Hope you get the advice your looking for!

Thanks,
Scott Michael
muaddib5

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:30 pm 

This is just my estimate, of course.  Signed Arneson stuff isnt terribly difficult to come by.  (add $75).  Signed Gygax stuff is probably more common, but certainly more cherished and held tighter (add $200).   Now, the tricky part is that the scarcity of items signed by BOTH is really tough.  If it were me, I would add $400+ for that alone.  

So, add $675 for the signatures (multiples, as a set). Inotherwords, add once.   If you were asking on the open market, I would probably start by asking $1000 and coming down as your time outlay and cash flow needs.

Anyone else think this crazy?  The temptation to break this up might be strong.  Try to avoid it.

--

Chris Korczak | www.rpgrpgrpg.com
IOBA (Independent Online Booksellers Association)
SNEAB (Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:32 pm 

I should also mention that I am assuming contemporary signatures, like in the 2000s.  If you were able to prove the signatures were very early, it's a different ball game.  Though - one would need an expert analysis of the signatures over time.  Probably a niche that needs to be filled, but I dont think there is anyone out there yet doing it.

--

Chris Korczak | www.rpgrpgrpg.com
IOBA (Independent Online Booksellers Association)
SNEAB (Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers)

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:42 pm 

ckorczak wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Collection Help:This is just my estimate, of course.  Signed Arneson stuff isnt terribly difficult to come by.  (add $75).  Signed Gygax stuff is probably more common, but certainly more cherished and held tighter (add $200).   Now, the tricky part is that the scarcity of items signed by BOTH is really tough.  If it were me, I would add $400+ for that alone.  

So, add $675 for the signatures (multiples, as a set). Inotherwords, add once.   If you were asking on the open market, I would probably start by asking $1000 and coming down as your time outlay and cash flow needs.

Anyone else think this crazy?  The temptation to break this up might be strong.  Try to avoid it.

To be perfectly honest, I think it would break my heart to break up the three-box set. The other books, though, I think I could get myself to break up and sell individually.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:51 pm 

I forgot to add a picture of the RPGA dice bag I brought back from the same GenCon.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:08 pm 

ADNDgamer wrote in Dungeons and Dragons Collection Help:I forgot to add a picture of the RPGA dice bag I brought back from the same GenCon.

This makes 4 RPGA bags that I have seen in the past few weeks now.  I sold mine on Facebook for $220 a few weeks ago.  Bracton purchased his at GaryCon for $250 at the auction via Frank Mentzer.  Harold Johnson had his personal RPGA bag in our Tamoachan Revisited game that he ran.  These are rare and have some value.