Massive RPG/D&D Lot.  Multiples.  Many in Shrink.
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:37 am 

just concerned this guy is going to get taken advantage of by some person who is going to immediately flip all the shrink to the same people who are aggressively buying it all up on ebay is all.

this guy is offering Adam's Wrath for $16.50 minus some discount
these are previous sales:

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Ravenloft Touch of Death, another example... his price $21 minus some discount

here's a previous sale

should I go through the rest of the list?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:56 am 

Had a nice reply but lost it with timed log out. Be that as it may, good luck with the sale dargath. I don't think Spock has any inclination to make an offer so this back and forth is not productive. Have a good one.

The eye that looks ahead to the safe course is closed forever.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:20 am 

argyrebasin wrote in Massive RPG/D&D Lot.  Multiples.  Many in Shrink.:Had a nice reply but lost it with timed log out. Be that as it may, good luck with the sale dargath. I don't think Spock has any inclination to make an offer so this back and forth is not productive. Have a good one.

what is going on here? The guy comes on the board to ask our opinions. I just pointed out that his prices seem low and I back it up by posting actual auctions. He's talking about selling stuff for 40% off of his prices that are already 30-50% off of market value on the things I pulled up. That doesn't seem fair to the guy at all.
Meanwhile you're telling me to talk to some Chinese contractor you know so I can wind up with asbestos-poisoning (albeit as some kind of joke). What gives?

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:42 am 

Re-read his 2nd or third post after the first round of comments. He's already done research on sold prices for the Ravenloft grouping and/or used Acaeum prices. Now I think you're being deliberately obtuse to start an argument of which I want no part.

The eye that looks ahead to the safe course is closed forever.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:56 am 

sorry, I don't buy that explanation. Something else is obviously going on

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:44 am 

I think that you would be best served selling them individually.  I know you dont want to, but that is the most lucrative approach.

Now, if you want to sell them as a whole, it is unlikely that you will get anyone to offer 50%.  You would be lucky if someone offers 30%.   Not impossible, but also I dont think very likely.  This is a lot of material, and a lot of work to sell properly.  

I've sent you a PM regarding an offer from me.  

I am posting about it here so as to offer full disclosure.    I dont think my statements are wrong, and I would love someone to tell me otherwise.

Good luck!

--

Chris Korczak | www.rpgrpgrpg.com
IOBA (Independent Online Booksellers Association)
SNEAB (Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:36 pm 

It doesn't seem like the seller is in any rush as it's almost been two months since original posting. It's not even clear if anything has sold.

MOST of the interested parties looking to buy as a lot are certainly planning on flipping (I said MOST...lol) and yes I totally agree with misterspock in the sense that shrink prices are on the rise so probably best to ensure you are getting your money's worth. Anyone looking for a 50% discount or more knowing the quality and condition of all the shrink items is basically ripping you off no matter what argument they use. I can understand a blind purchase but you've provided pictures, lists, etc so its not a blind purchase at this point. It really is not a lot of work to list items on eBay and rake in the dough from all the shrink items, I completely disagree with the it is a lot of work so I deserve to buy this at %30 of market value argument.

I for sure thought this already sold to someone since nothing was ever listed as a sale. If this is a personal collection I really hope you get the value it's worth. I think you had the right idea of small lots (similar items lumped together) to maximize your return but minimize individual selling.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:02 pm 

cabala wrote in Massive RPG/D&D Lot.  Multiples.  Many in Shrink.:It doesn't seem like the seller is in any rush as it's almost been two months since original posting. It's not even clear if anything has sold.

MOST of the interested parties looking to buy as a lot are certainly planning on flipping (I said MOST...lol) and yes I totally agree with misterspock in the sense that shrink prices are on the rise so probably best to ensure you are getting your money's worth. Anyone looking for a 50% discount or more knowing the quality and condition of all the shrink items is basically ripping you off no matter what argument they use. I can understand a blind purchase but you've provided pictures, lists, etc so its not a blind purchase at this point. It really is not a lot of work to list items on eBay and rake in the dough from all the shrink items, I completely disagree with the it is a lot of work so I deserve to buy this at %30 of market value argument.

I for sure thought this already sold to someone since nothing was ever listed as a sale. If this is a personal collection I really hope you get the value it's worth. I think you had the right idea of small lots (similar items lumped together) to maximize your return but minimize individual selling.

No one said anything about 'deserving' anything.   You dont sell huge amounts of material for retail, that's just the bottom line.  I've got 20,000 books on my shelves.  You think they will all sell this week?  No, I'll die with many of them.  This is a numbers game.    If a collector wants to come along and pay retail, more power to them - but its not going to happen.  Why would they?  Same with the 50%/30% - selling a lot this large is going to be to a dealer, or noone.  And dealers dont work for free.  I spend every day processing books, I dont do it for fun.  

I then handle the inventory, store it, list it, pay to list it, market it, move it, then ship it.  This is not charity.

I am not sure what world you live in, that you list 500 widgets and expect ("the cost of one widget on the market" x 500).    I also dont appreciate the implication that someone who is buying to resell is ripping anyone off.

If the seller wants retail, they should retail it out.

Better yet, why dont you put your money where your mouth is, and buy the lot for retail.   It's a steal, right?

Actually, maybe you can buy it at 80% and sit on them for the next few years, losing money the whole time.

I have rarely seen someone who knows so little speak so loudly.

-C

--

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:06 pm 

Also, for what it's worth, I am speaking of the WHOLE collection, not the dozen shrinks.   Clearly the % price would go up for just that segment.   But not much.

--

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:50 pm 

LOL!! I'm tired of resellers coming along and wanting shit dirt cheap. I was being somewhat flippant by using the word deserves. You can look at it however you want and you can appreciate whatever you want. You don't know jack about me or what I know. You are are taking my comments too personally or being very defensive either way I couldn't care less. Please don't try to speak for me, it won't go well. I never made a blanket statement that resellers are ripping people off, I said resellers who want good quality, valuable collectibles dirt cheap are ripping people off (in maybe a few less words). These are collectible items, not currently available items you just go out an by at retail price. It has nothing to do with putting my money where my mouth is, I just think $5/book because I'm buying the whole lot is BS unless the seller is completely fine with that. I understand it is >700 items and if seller wants to take a $4-8 average per book approach then so be it, the buyer will make a load in return but it will only be years if they are being flipped for ludicrous amounts. At $5/book it will cost ~$3.5-4k and can be sold for $10-12k easily due to all the shrink (not just a dozen as you claim).  

There are over 700 items and greater than 50% of them are in shrink wrap.  And based on pictures the opens ones are in very excellent condition. It's funny because throughout selling my shrinkwrap collection, which only took ~6months (a little left to go) and has netted me ~$20k I guess I'm tired of being asked if I need help selling it by someone who wants to be paid to do it. For full disclosure since I seemed to have touched a nerve, I actually offered to help dargarth sell his collection completely interest free, no commission, no fees, especially after seeing the quote provided by NKG...lol. I don't buy and sell shit for a living. If I did, then yeah I probably want to be paid for it too. You could sell that collection in a matter of months for many thousands of dollars above what he is probably being offered, again not years unless you operate like most other antiquity dealers then yeah I can see them sitting on your shelves for years.

In any event good luck, maybe he will like your offer which more the merrier for you. I hope this thread is highly amusing to the seller at least.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:33 pm 

cabala wrote in Massive RPG/D&D Lot.  Multiples.  Many in Shrink.:MOST of the interested parties looking to buy as a lot are certainly planning on flipping (I said MOST...lol) and yes I totally agree with misterspock in the sense that shrink prices are on the rise so probably best to ensure you are getting your money's worth. Anyone looking for a 50% discount or more knowing the quality and condition of all the shrink items is basically ripping you off no matter what argument they use. I can understand a blind purchase but you've provided pictures, lists, etc so its not a blind purchase at this point.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

cabala wrote in Massive RPG/D&D Lot.  Multiples.  Many in Shrink.:It really is not a lot of work to list items on eBay and rake in the dough from all the shrink items, I completely disagree with the it is a lot of work so I deserve to buy this at %30 of market value argument.

The shrink prices on ebay have increased dramatically over the past several years .. really it is absolutely true as outlandish as it might seem. And I've seen many many auctions go so quickly...it's got to be in the several hundreds of auctions in the past couple years alone.

ckorczak, I believe you when you say you have so many books that you've been working on selling. I know a seller in AZ that's been going through the same thing for many many years (we're talking a warehouse). btw I didn't take what cabala was saying as a swipe against you about "deserve", I just read it as being jovial

But this is a special situation with the shrink. I'll bet that if dagorath puts only the shrink stuff up on ebay as one giant lot, he's not going to face a lowball situation/ have to sell anything at a discount. There are plenty of shrink collectors out there.
He should be the one to get a nice windfall instead of having a flip job happen on him. Taking the time to box the stuff up well for shipping isn't that big a deal imo

ckorczak,yes, for opened modules it could be a slog to get them sold. I'm not talking about that part of the collection..

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:52 pm 

In my unsolicited opinion, there really are no clear moral paths when it comes to this kind of stuff.  If a seller wants to sell their product quickly and easily, then they usually leave money on the table (I have left plenty of money on the table in past dealings - just to move something quickly and easily). I think the best anyone should expect (and even this is slightly a stretch) is for the seller to be informed that he/she could easily make much more money if they chose to either be patient or break up the lot - after that, it's really all on the seller, not the buyer (nobody is forcing anybody to do anything).

For example, if I were at a garage sale and a seller was selling every item on their table for the same small amount - and I noticed an item that would normally sell for 5x the asking price, would it be immoral to purchase it and walk away feeling like I just struck gold (every bargain hunter's dream)?  In order to maintain my integrity, would I need to tell the seller that I refuse to purchase something for a penny less than what it's actually worth on the open market?  I don't know anybody that's ever done the latter, but if you have, then I applaud your conviction (I mean this truthfully).  However, in my opinion, there's nothing inherently dishonest about the former option either.  

I'm not trying to poke the bear here, fellas - I'm just a fanboy who just came away slightly depressed after watching Zach Snyder's Superman mope his way through another movie ;-) ...and I couldn't pass up this philosophical thread.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:02 pm 

ibm_ted wrote in Massive RPG/D&D Lot.  Multiples.  Many in Shrink.:I think the best anyone should expect (and even this is slightly a stretch) is for the seller to be informed that he/she could easily make much more money if they chose to either be patient or break up the lot - after that, it's really all on the seller, not the buyer (nobody is forcing anybody to do anything)

In general, I do agree with you. Just want to reinforce that the seller posted here looking for appraisal/advice. I just want to make sure he's aware of what's been going on with ebay sales like benjoshua had mentioned to him for looking up stuff. I don't think he knew he was sitting on a gold mine with that shrink...

Previous