Massive RPG/D&D Lot.  Multiples.  Many in Shrink.
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:53 am 

Hello,

I am posting my listing here to get an idea of how best to sell.  Thank-you everyone who sent me messages on specific items from my Classified listing.  I will admit upfront that I am looking for "best bang for the buck", recognizing that I would prefer to sell in as few lots as possible and I am obviously time constrained when it comes to researching the exact version I have of each and every one of the 700+ listings.  Where it makes a major difference, I'm happy to determine the exact edition of specific items.

Given the above, I'm sure that many professionals will wonder "how am I going to estimate the worth if you won't tell me the condition and edition of every single item?".  I recognize this challenge.  Therefore I offer up the fact that I am in the Memphis, TN area and am totally open to anyone stopping by to look, offer, pickup, purchase, etc....  Packing and shipping these will be a daunting task.  They exist in 14 62-75L tubs at a weight I approximate of around 700lbs.

The attached spreadsheet lists the items I have.  Column C "open" lists the quantity of each item that is not in shrink.  The vast majority of these will be "Fine", with I'm sure some VF and some VG.  I am probably being overly conservative here as most out of shrink items are brand new, just shrink removed.  Very few older items are played and will be more the FR or GD grading.  It is probably also fair to assume that the majority of these will be early printings as I tended to pickup items when they were originally released.  Where it is important, and over time, I will add edition information to this.  Column D "Shrink" lists the quantity I own in shrink.  These will range from F --> VF --> NM.  Anything less than NM is likely due to the way it was originally or subsequently stored, mostly with some developing extremely minor creases.

Pricing:  I'm not really sure.  Propose the following to start discussion, subject to offers of course and the fact that everyone can provide input / comments on this forum.  I have no idea if this is good or if I am discounting too much.

I originally submitted this to Noble Knight for a quote.  They have not responded.  I doubt they would break it down in any case, so I'd get a lump sum with no idea on how it fares vs. market rate.  I'd also need to pack and ship about 700lbs of stuff (which they pay for, thus reducing the offer).

(1) Single item and I have to price it:  I will ask for Market.  I really don't want to sell over 700 items this way.
(2) Fair sized lot of 10+ items:  10% discount.
(3) 100+ items: 20% discount off Market.
(4) Half of Lot: 30% discount.
(5) Full Lot: 40% discount.

Bonuses:  You pick it up - no shipping fees of course and another 10% discount as I don't have to pack it.
Negatives:  You care immensely about the edition and I have to look it up online by checking pictures or equivalent - Add 10% (but never over market).

So, you can do local pickup of the entire lot?  You can get everything at 50% off the going market rate.  Of course, I'll trust you to provide a breakdown or some indication of the market rate.  If I have to calculate it, that's equivalent to me looking up versions :)

Edit:  Adding aggregate links to pics.  Work in progress as I've only started to take and upload them.

Collection: D&D and RPG Sale Items

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by dargath on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:53 pm 

Kudos to you for a better than average post regarding what you want to do and the sale of your collection.  Here are some other threads with a similar question/conundrum and some helpful answers which may apply to your situation:

Re: Over 900 item collection.
Re: Value of this Collection of D&D Items?
Selling a collection - request for information

I'll try to not repeat what was said in those other threads except for emphasis.  First, pictures really would be super helpful.  I don't think people want every item pictured, but if you could pick out the five or six items that are of the highest value, in your opinion, and post pictures of those, it might make all the difference (the Rules Cyclopedia and the Night's Dark Terror module would be good, for starters).

Second, I hate to say this, but given the parameters you've stated, it's likely you'll have to unload most of this stuff on eBay.  You might could get a sale on Craigslist, but it would be for 10 to 20% less profit at least.  Of course, if there is a reseller near Memphis, you could be in real luck.  I am not saying posting here was a bad idea as you never know.

Third, the Dragon magazines are of such little value, they aren't worth the cost to ship in most collectors or re-sellers minds.  They've even been jokingly referred to as stuffing for other shipments from time to time.  I'd be pretty quick to remove those from consideration unless the buyer specifically wants them.

Fourth, I think your guideline of offering a 50% discount for the bulk purchase is about right.  I don't buy bulk lots unless I think it's worth twice what I am paying for it.  You'll eventually get a buyer at that price, especially if everything is as good as you say.

Fifth, and here's the tricky part, what is your collection worth?  Well, if I were buying this lot, and I'm not, I would probably value each item as $5, unless I saw it with my own eyes and determined that it was, as it sounds from your post, 70% to 80% very fine to near mint.  In that case, I'd probably value each item at $7.00.  Of your magazines, I would only want the Dungeon mags.  If you had Dragon magazine issues below 40, I'd buy those.  Therefore, according to my quick scan, you have 522 items on "sheet 2," and 44 Dungeon mags.  That totals 566 items.  566 times $5.00 equals $2830.00.  566 times $7.00 equals $3962.00.  I know you have items like a D&D Rules Cyclopedia and Night's Dark Terror that each sells for $50 or more, but you also have a lot of "Complete" books, for example, and other items I consider to be low value and difficult to sell.

Seventh, shipping may not be as expensive as you might think, especially if you go the Media Mail route.  Fifty pounds by Media Mail is $27.22.  Take out Dragon Magazines and the weight of your collection probably drops by 100 pounds.  Twelve fifty-pound tubs means shipping is $320.00 or so to ship everything I've listed as wanted.  $320.00 is a lot of money, but only about 10% of the sales price.

If nothing else, I've got the discussion started.  We don't all agree on everything, so check out what other people say.  I wish you the best of luck.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:08 pm 

Ben,

That's extremely helpful.  I'll work on some pics as a next step.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:13 pm 

Why can't you live in Denver? :) I am still very interested in a full lot price. Although a 15 hour drive to Memphis isn't on my radar depending on price shipping sometimes is very doable.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:23 pm 

I'm not too far and would certainly entertain the idea of buying everything in bulk.

I'd need to take time to rely go through your list first though. I think benjoshua was spot on with his breakdown. When buying in bulk I rarely pay more than $5 per module. Typically, more than that and it isn't worth the time for me to resale the parts I don't want. Plus there are always modules that are missing some maps, inserts, etc. that really kill any true value.

I'll try to do a better review of your list tomorrow.

Thanks for posting!

Carpe DM!

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:33 am 

Everyone,

I did receive a quote back from Noble Knight.  Based upon that and the additional comments/PMs I've received, I think I'm going to take the time to upload some pics and maybe go for a more hands-on sales route (I'll create groups of items and sell them).  All the feedback has been great and extremely helpful.  However, probably based upon the fact this forum is for general appraisals/discussions, I get the impression that many people are probably not looking at the list in detail or understanding the size/quality of what is being offered.  I can't complain about that as, till this point, I haven't really put the effort in to analyze it either.

So, here is the first set of pics.  I've simply picked the Ravenloft stuff and displayed 1 copy of each unique "in shrink" item and 1 copy of each unique "out of shrink" item.  I have many more duplicates in shrink and a handful of those out of shrink.  Please note that every single item is complete and practically untouched.  I will continue to expand upon this picture portfolio.  I welcome any and all feedback on the style/quality of the photos and the site used to display them.

Thanks!

Note that the pics may not all be there yet.  My first set was full-size 8MB/pic and Flickr is taking forever to process them.

Ravenloft Shrink:  https://www.flickr.com/gp/112751346@N08/7nJZ5X

Ravenloft Out of Shrink:  Ravenloft Non-Shrink Set | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:41 pm 

dargath wrote in Massive RPG/D&D Lot.  Multiples.  Many in Shrink.: However, probably based upon the fact this forum is for general appraisals/discussions, I get the impression that many people are probably not looking at the list in detail or understanding the size/quality of what is being offered.  I can't complain about that as, till this point, I haven't really put the effort in to analyze it either.

I can not speak for everyone, but many of the collectors on these forums already own many of the items you are featuring or these are items they are not interested in owning no matter the condition.  In many cases this is because they are more interested in items from an earlier era of D&D and role-playing games.  It appears you already have one person very interested in your collection, so hang in there.  You have a nice collection and sometimes things work out.  The pictures could make all the difference.   8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:39 pm 

Thanks for sharing the photos, particularly the shrink versus non-shrink display; I really enjoyed those and your overall presentation.  :)  So far the quality of the items is really good and you have a very nice collection.  The advice BenJoshua and others have offered on selling your collection is sound, and the only way to truly maximize your profit is to do it yourself with all the work and time it entails.  It may be time consuming to take and post photos, but most potential buyers, including the collectors on this forum, will want to see images of the games and an estimate of condition before purchasing.  eBay reaches a far wider audience than this site; however, I have had great transactions with many people on this site, including purchases, sales, and trades.  In the end it is your decision on where and how to sell.  

As BenJoshua mentioned many of the collectors here tend to 1st edition and earlier items, including a healthy interest in small press and non-TSR, independent publishers; however, there are just as many of us who enjoy collecting 2nd edition and later, myself included.  As it so happens, I am working on my 2nd edition collection at the moment and many of the items you list are on my 'want' list, especially those in shrink wrap. :)  (I'm a shrink-o-phile so I am always on the lookout for a minty item covered in original shrink wrap.)  For a particular item, if shrink wrap is not available or an option, there are several of us constantly on the lookout to 'upgrade' from a very fine to a near mint copy.  The reason I mention this is that even though an item may be common, we may be interested if the quality of the book/box is exceptional.  If they are beater/play copies, unless the item is rare, most of us will probably not be interested and the price if offered will be low.  With that being said, I would continue to take photos and post here; you will probably get offers on the nicer pieces.  If you feel the price is too low, check eBay's completed items and/or ask here for an appraisal.  We are happy to help.

Good luck!

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:41 pm 

I really do appreciate all the advice.  I've received several offers for bits and pieces.  What this entire process has driven me to do however is to take the pics, organize and spend the time to evaluate what some of these things might be worth.

Then I'll be able to respond to some of the offers with a better understanding of the pricing.  I'll probably also got the eBay route.  The main thing for me though is that I'll have to sell in lots instead of singles.  I guess that's a compromise on time vs return.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:49 pm 

dargath wrote in Massive RPG/D&D Lot.  Multiples.  Many in Shrink.:Everyone,

I did receive a quote back from Noble Knight.  Based upon that and the additional comments/PMs I've received, I think I'm going to take the time to upload some pics and maybe go for a more hands-on sales route (I'll create groups of items and sell them).

did NK lowball you?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:18 pm 

dargath wrote in Massive RPG/D&D Lot.  Multiples.  Many in Shrink.:  I'll probably also go the eBay route.  The main thing for me though is that I'll have to sell in lots instead of singles.  I guess that's a compromise on time vs return.

While listing on eBay is work and can sometimes be frustrating, you will often get a higher return on your items.  Just remember that eBay takes a cut, so if you get a good offer here, even if it's 15% less than you'd get on eBay, it's worth going with that side sale.   And the smaller your lots, the better the overall return as well.  Also, you will find that providing a link to your auctions in the Classifieds section here will only help generate sales and profits.  Plus, there are people on these forums who will look at your auctions and point out important listing information you may have missed or mis-stated.  

Finally, when you are looking at eBay prices, make sure you are looking at actual sold prices and not selling prices.  Sellers can and do list items for crazy, unrealistic prices.  The sold prices reveal what items are actually worth.  You have to log into your eBay account to access this feature.  Then enter the item you want to research in the search box to see what that item is selling for.  Then click on the little box on the left hand side which says "Sold" and every actual eBay sale over the past 90 days will appear.  You will notice a range of sold prices that go up and down depending on shipping costs, condition of the item, a sellers rating, etc.... 8)

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:36 pm 

Noble Knight was offering under $4/item (and that's excluding Dragon Mags altogether).  That was on the quite low end, but was frankly what I expected for a full-lot-sight-unseen offer.  They have to run a business (and I do like to purchase from them).

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:33 pm 

Pretty much all the pics are uploaded to view now.  I had completed this earlier, but I didn't have the viewing permissions set correctly.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:12 pm 

OK,

Now we get into me soliciting more specific assistance.  In addition to everyone's feedback, some of the great community here have expressed an interest in various components I have here.  This presents me with somewhat of a challenge.  Pricing.

While some have expressed interest in purchasing the entire collection, I have to be honest in that I have no idea how long it's going to take me to price this bad boy out.

Therefore, it's more likely I can price and sell components as possible.

First up, I've had quite a few requests for all the Ravenloft items that are in shrink.

I want to be fair.  At this point, I am starting to invest the effort to get fair value.  But I also have no intention of trying to charge more than fair value either.

So, this is what I have "estimated" for the Ravenloft set and will solicit input on anything I need to change.  I will then take the consensus pricing back to those who might still be interested, in order in which I was asked.

Attached is my "work in progress" updated spreadsheet.  I have linked in the pricing that was available here on Acaeum.  There will be some exceptions, but in general I am starting with "shrink = VF * 1.5" and "non shrink = G".

For those items not listed on Acaeum, I have started to look at completed ebay listings of similar caliber (either VF shrink or VF non-shrink which I multiply by 1.5).  

As I am only pricing Shrink Ravenloft right now, those prices are the only ones fully calculated.  This is what it translates to:

$21.99         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Castles Forlorn Box Set
$44.00         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Realm of Terror Box Set
$16.50         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Adam's Wrath
$37.43         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Dark of the Moon
$37.43         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Monstrous Compendium
$19.99         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Monstrous Compendium - Appendix II - Children of the Night
$22.50         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Feast of Goblyns
$21.00         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Touch of Death
$22.50         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Van Richten's Guide to the Lich
$43.49         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - When Black Roses Bloom
$36.00         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Roots of Evil
$13.50         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - The Created
$13.50         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Web of Illusion
$45.00         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - House of Strand
$19.95         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Thoughts of Darkness
$15.00         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - From the Shadows
$19.49         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Dark Lords
$15.00         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Book of Crypts
$20.00         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Van Richten's Guide to Vampires
$20.00         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Island of Terror
$20.00         AD&D 2nd - Ravenloft - Van Richten's Guide to Ghosts
$524.25        

So, anything seem really off here?  If these numbers are fair, I'd probably be thinking $500 total.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:35 pm 

In my opinion most of those prices are fair (just the ones listed here not looking in spreadsheet). You could adjust some down 10-20% but most of them could be adjusted up 10-20% and still be fair especially if they are in VF or greater condition. Many times shrink items are still dinged or creased on the spines or the shrink ripped, etc which IMO drastically lowers price. Shrink is where your going to get the most bang for your buck. If it is priced fair to low then it will be gobbled up rather quickly, too high and it takes a while to sell but i think you are on the right track.

At least going this route and doing the legwork yourself gives you a good feel that you are getting the proper return on your collection even if it is more of a hassle. Best of luck and I do hope to hear when it officially goes on sale.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:01 pm 

I'm fairly local to Memphis. Wouldn't mind hopping in a truck and driving over for a bulk sale. Sent a PM as well. Sound advice on this thread so far.
Thanks,
Justin

The eye that looks ahead to the safe course is closed forever.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:50 pm 

I agree with cabala on the part where he said most could be adjusted some percentage up. I don't think lower.

Good luck on the sale, lots of cool stuff in there. Only other thing I can think of about the sale is to keep in mind that shrink prices have been ramping up for the past several years. If you're asked to sell at a discount, I would stick to your guns because it's highly likely the buyer will turn around and flip all the shrinked modules anyways. I think you'll do better selling individually on this kind of thing with all the different shrink.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:28 pm 

misterspock wrote in Massive RPG/D&D Lot.  Multiples.  Many in Shrink.:I agree with cabala on the part where he said most could be adjusted some percentage up. I don't think lower.

Good luck on the sale, lots of cool stuff in there. Only other thing I can think of about the sale is to keep in mind that shrink prices have been ramping up for the past several years. If you're asked to sell at a discount, I would stick to your guns because it's highly likely the buyer will turn around and flip all the shrinked modules anyways. I think you'll do better selling individually on this kind of thing with all the different shrink.

^^^
Discounts are being offered by the seller for the reasons outlined below.

I originally submitted this to Noble Knight for a quote.  They have not responded.  I doubt they would break it down in any case, so I'd get a lump sum with no idea on how it fares vs. market rate.  I'd also need to pack and ship about 700lbs of stuff (which they pay for, thus reducing the offer).

(1) Single item and I have to price it:  I will ask for Market.  I really don't want to sell over 700 items this way.
(2) Fair sized lot of 10+ items:  10% discount.
(3) 100+ items: 20% discount off Market.
(4) Half of Lot: 30% discount.
(5) Full Lot: 40% discount.

Bonuses:  You pick it up - no shipping fees of course and another 10% discount as I don't have to pack it.
Negatives:  You care immensely about the edition and I have to look it up online by checking pictures or equivalent - Add 10% (but never over market).

So, you can do local pickup of the entire lot?  You can get everything at 50% off the going market rate.  Of course, I'll trust you to provide a breakdown or some indication of the market rate.  If I have to calculate it, that's equivalent to me looking up versions :)

The eye that looks ahead to the safe course is closed forever.

Next