AD&D Paint Sets by The Armory
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:05 pm 

All,

I just acquired a not-so-common AD&D paint set at an auction.  Is anyone familiar with the rarity (or legitimacy) of the Armory series of AD&D paint sets?  The back of the box says that there are at least two more version of Armory AD&D paint sets - Basic and Advanced.  Wasn't there also a Basic set made by TSR?

-ibm_ted

Attachment:
IMG_5258.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_5259.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:27 am 

that set looks like a combo of this factory set from TSR....

Tome of Treasures - AD&D Miniatures

and some Armory stick on labels. I can't speak to the rarity or value. I also don't know if it was released prior to TSR releasing it without the Armory stuff on it.

are the bottles in it?

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:07 am 

Yeah, all of the bottles are still in it (along with a paintbrush, but I don't think that was included originally).

These Armory sets look interesting - it's as if they simply took TSR's overstock Basic Set boxes (with overlaying presentation changes) and put their own paint formula inside.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:59 pm 

ibm_ted wrote in AD&D Paint Sets by The Armory:Yeah, all of the bottles are still in it (along with a paintbrush, but I don't think that was included originally).

These Armory sets look interesting - it's as if they simply took TSR's overstock Basic Set boxes (with overlaying presentation changes) and put their own paint formula inside.

We have all three sets: Basic, Advanced and Metallic. The Basic set is sealed and has no Armory reference on the box. The Advanced(in shrink) and Metallic sets both have the Armory stickers applied. The boxes are all the same size as the TSR miniature sets.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.