Figurines
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:25 pm 

Hi all!

I have about 400 or so boxed sets of figurines that need to find a new home. Some are fairly common, like the Grenadier Fighters, Magic-Users etc, and some are prety much unique (unique meaning I've never seen another one in 30 years of collecting). Two questions for today, gents:

1. Is there a site where I can get an idea of the relative value of the figs? Not so much the common ones, but stuff like the Encounter at (X) Grenadier series, the Imperial Dragon, mail-away Swamp Dragon and the like. eBay doesn't seem to have much up there.

2. Is it better to sell whole runs or break them up? It took me a long time to assemble things like the Monster Manuscript series, and I hate to see it get parceled off. However, I don't want them to go for a tithe of what they are worth. I'm not looking to squeeze pennies; I'd rather they go to someone who appreciates them.

Any opinions would be most welcome!

Frank

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:14 pm 

Hi Frank,

1) I have yet to find any sort of comprehensive listings of miniature values, other than searching the sold/completed listings on eBay. You can find some pricing info on my blog, where I have a series of articles entitled the Lead Market Report: The Lead Dragon: Lead Market Report Keep in mind these are auctions that caught my eye or appeal to me personally, so you may not find everything you are looking for.

2) IMO you are better off selling each box individually. The average collector is probably looking for fill holes at this point, and not drop major cash to buy an entire series (like Monster Manuscript).

If you would like to share a list, pics, etc. of the items you consider rare or cannot find any info on, I'd be happy to help. Feel free to drop me a PM.

Tom

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:07 pm 

I haven't sold one in a couple of years, but I had been selling Grenadier Gold Box series stuff for about $20 each with a little patience, a little more for the larger boxes, with and without sheets. Unpainted minis get the best price, of course. In most cases, it comes out to about $2 a figure, so not really a big cash generator. For the Dragon Lords series I dragons I was getting about $7-10 per dragon whether unpainted or stripped, and just the mini alone.

Monster Manuscripts do get a better price from what I have observed. Dragontooth minis tend to do well even out of packs for most things I have seen (which admittedly is not a great amount).

Ral Partha sets like the Dragonlance heroes or Forgotten Realms personalities do rather well, as well as the sets they did for Battlesystem.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:43 pm 

TollHouseGolem wrote in Figurines:IMO you are better off selling each box individually. The average collector is probably looking for fill holes at this point, and not drop major cash to buy an entire series (like Monster Manuscript).

In general I think that this is correct, but I've seen some higher priced auctions for multiple common boxes that to me don't always "add up" so to speak, when you look at individual sales.  So, this could vary by boxed sets/manufacturers, and you shouldn't completely rule out group lots as a sales option.  

TollHouseGolem wrote in Figurines:If you would like to share a list, pics, etc. of the items you consider rare or cannot find any info on, I'd be happy to help. Feel free to drop me a PM.

Ditto, although I'm sure that we'd all benefit from the public discussion too, if you're comfy with that Frank :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:12 pm 

I've sold thousands of minis, mostly of the 25mm, old-school, lead variety, although, I would not consider myself a mini appraiser expert.  The advice you have received so far is solid.  I will make a couple of comments you can take or leave.  

First, it seems like prices for 25mm minis have not appreciated much if any.  The 32MM scale is much more in vogue.  I am glad I sold out most all my stuff when I did.  The Reaper Bones minis are the superior product right now, in my opinion, if you factor in cost, durability, paint-ability and portability.

Second, Ral Partha minis tend to sell for higher prices than Grenadier as the quality is usually higher, but not always.  Series 11 minis, in particular, often go for above average prices and some go for ridiculous prices.  There are some Custom and Heritage minis which also command high prices.

Third, I recommend you state in any of your eBay listings for minis that are older than 1990 that they may contain lead and are not suitable for children younger than 12, or something along those lines.

Fourth, demons, dragons and giants command some of the higher prices among minis generally speaking.  Strangely, Kobolds also command good prices.  If you have some minis of monsters that you've seen no where else, it's possible they could also command really good prices (over $20.00 each).

Finally, please post pictures of what you have on this thread.  I'd be happy to add additional feedback if I notice anything.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:51 pm 

Awesome, thanks guys. I will post a list here in a day or two. Same with the paper items.
Some of the stuff is ridiculously obscure. I focused on dragons, and so I have things like the send-away-for Swamp Dragon from Grenadier, some Thunderbolt items, a couple Teronus, things like that. I have the whole set of Dragon Lords dragons like sea dragon, shire, etc. and some that I have never seen outside of the ones I have.
I was planning on breaking up things like the Gold Series anyways, but for things like the Grenadier Lost Lands series, I was kinda hoping to see them go together. They were difficult to piece together and it just seems a shame to see them go. However, you have a point about "holes": maybe it is better to see three or four collectors fill up their sets as opposed to one person getting a whole one.
Another idea I had was maybe keeping some of them, like some dragons, and making terrain based on that particular figurine. For example, a mountain with a removeable top, with some small caves and one big one with the dragon in it on a pile of treasure. I'd either keep it or sell it with the figurine and box. I don't know if something like that has value to gamers anymore, though.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:53 pm 

So a bit late to this, and I am only just starting my figure collecting, but found this site which was good for making sure figure sets that were open were correct (I learned that one hard way when some sets I bought were mixed up with other sets seller had.  Sadly I did not win them all, so both myself and other winner each have parts of each others sets...thankfully the price was pretty low for them.)

The Miniature Art of Dungeons and Dragons

There are some notes at the beginning of each section that list some average prices, but nothing specific.  

Might be helpful though.

Thanks

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:57 pm 

Awesome, Wyvern, thank you!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:48 pm 

Here are a few more miniature resources:

Lost Minis Wiki (current)
Main Page - Lost Minis Wiki

Stuff of Legends (not current, but still very comprehensive and has some great user galleries)
The Stuff of Legends

Collecting Citadel Miniatures (current)
CcmWiki

And there are quite a few Yahoo! collecting groups if you need info on specific lines.

"We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances!"
My lead-centric blog: http://theleaddragon.blogspot.com/
Also known as soccer_dad66 on eBay.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:56 pm 

Thanks, Gollie. I had Lost Minis, but not the other two. TBH, I am more interested in sending in pictures and info about the rare ones I have. I have several that i can't find any info on at all, like Buccaneers from Martian and that dragon from Phoenix. However, I also don't want to sell boxes without knowing what the buyer is getting. We ALL know that pain  :(