Large collection value
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:59 pm 

Hi all!

So I ran across this:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

and I recall someone selling a semi-complete set of modules for $2,500 or thereabouts. For that eBay set, is $5,000 really feasible or realistic? I am about to sell off a set which actually has MORE than the eBay one, in better condition, along with a whole hell of a lot more.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:24 pm 

Deadlord wrote in Large collection value:Hi all!

So I ran across this:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

and I recall someone selling a semi-complete set of modules for $2,500 or thereabouts. For that eBay set, is $5,000 really feasible or realistic? I am about to sell off a set which actually has MORE than the eBay one, in better condition, along with a whole hell of a lot more.

I don't think the asking price is realistic, but I think it's better than what Noble Knight would ask!  I would not be shocked if it gets bought by someone.  While what's visible indeed looks to be in fairly good shape, I never assume it's as good as they say it is.  When I do a quick assessment of something like this, I assume I can get about $10.00 for most D&D items except Dragon Mags over issue 50 and most of the "Complete" series books.  Yes, I realize he has some items that are clearly over $10.00 and some that are clearly not $10.00.  I value most Dungeon mags at about $4.00 each, although some will sell for more.  Going by that rough guideline, we're looking at around $2750.00.   If I was looking to replace my collection because I lost it in a fire, I'd offer than amount for his collection and maybe even pay $3000.00.  I am assuming a lot of things here for the sake of brevity like his shipping charges aren't outrageous, or he has an excellent feedback rating, etc...  If I was looking to purchase for the sake of re-selling, I'd offer around $1500.00, or a little more than half of my assessed value.  Since I have plenty to sell right now, I am not in a buying mood.

I hope I am not crucified for outlining my re-selling philosophy.  There are people on these forums who think everything should be their version of "fair."  Some people (like me) go nuts at TV shows like Pawn Stars or American Pickers because their whole stated rationale is to buy things cheap "because they need to make a profit."  I mentally shout at the screen, "No, you don't!"  While I buy at similar margins which includes profit motives, I always want people to make the transaction because I am offering them convenience, not because I need to make money.  I apologize if these thoughts end up hijacking the thread.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:40 pm 

No apology necessary, you answered the question quite well, thanks! I like your evaluation process.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:50 am 

Quick run through:

(24) Hardback Rule Books - Mostly 2nd edition, some 1st edition & 3rd edition
* $240 ballpark $10 each

(104) Paperback/Vinylback Accessory Titles, Mostly 2nd edition, some 3rd edition
* $1040 ballpark $10 each - includes encyclopedia magica, wizard's spells, etc

(197) Gaming Modules (Paperback) - Vast assortment of 1st - 3rd edition including Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Ravenloft, etc.
* $1970 ballpark $10 each

(21) Boxed Sets - Forgotten Realms, Raveloft (not pictured), etc.  All boxed sets are complete.
* $630 ballpark $30 each - a pretty good collection of boxed sets: Tomes, The North, Night Below, ...

(57) Dungeon Magazine Issues
* $200 I generally sell these at $3 each, and 1-6 range from $25-$50

(6) Dragon Magazine Issues

Total:  $4080.

I think that's a pretty middle of the road estimate - a reasonable price for anyone who wants to keep most of it.  A reseller would typically buy it for for $2000 max and would resell it for $5000+.  As a guess, Noble Knight pricing would probably be over $8000.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:27 pm 

As much as I'd like to sell whole sets (like the AD&D module run) in order to give someone the chance to start a collection in one shot, it would make sense to trim out things like a B10 with unpunched counters and sell them separately. I am not one to squeeze out every penny of value for something, but some of the items really should go for a considerable amount.