Imagine Magazine 1 April 1983
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:38 pm 

Can someone give me a ballpark value for one in great shape with a touch of shelfwear?

--

Chris Korczak | www.rpgrpgrpg.com
IOBA (Independent Online Booksellers Association)
SNEAB (Southern New England Antiquarian Booksellers)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:29 pm 

In super condition, say roundabouts £10-12 (say $15 up to $20ish).  Key thing I look for in RPG magazines is if the staples are rusty (which is common).  You can get a complete run for £50-70 ($75-100) depending on condition - on this side of the pond.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:07 pm 

The tough one to find in the set is, Imagine Special Edition I, 1984.  That should  increase the price of the set significantly, as I've seen a complete (G/VG) issue go for between $100 and $150 on eBay.

Attachment:
pic954188_md.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:38 am 

The very tough one to find (especially on this side of the Atlantic) is Issue #0, the full-scale mock-up of Issue #1. It has the same cover painting, but there is no # or price or date on the cover. Inside it is listed as Issue 0 Number 0. And there are 10.33 blank pages (including the inside cover) saying (basically) Your Ad Here. I have not checked down to the last detail, but I think they are the same otherwise (articles, comics etc.). I only know of one other collector that has one (I'm sure there are more, this just isn't at the top of collectors want lists and as such isn't discussed as much).

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:31 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Imagine Magazine 1 April 1983:The very tough one to find (especially on this side of the Atlantic) is Issue #0, the full-scale mock-up of Issue #1. It has the same cover painting, but there is no # or price or date on the cover. Inside it is listed as Issue 0 Number 0. And there are 10.33 blank pages (including the inside cover) saying (basically) Your Ad Here. I have not checked down to the last detail, but I think they are the same otherwise (articles, comics etc.). I only know of one other collector that has one (I'm sure there are more, this just isn't at the top of collectors want lists and as such isn't discussed as much).

Bill (or anyone else that has one), do you know whether there are any clues inside about which month Issue #0 was released? Deadlines for advertisers or similar, in the small print? (I'm trying to nail down the date of another publication which possibly alludes to Imagine #0, but might actually be alluding to #1.)

Guy Fullerton
Chaotic Henchmen Productions
http://www.chaotichenchmen.com/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:41 pm 

For you Guy, I'll take a look.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:50 am 

Imagine is outside of the period in which magazines can be copyrighted under UK Law, so unless an individual artist or author raises an objection and submits it in writing to a company, I would imagine one of the online magazine archives have it available online for free. Try Scribd or AnnArchive which I believe are legit content only.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:38 pm 

Bill, thank you! I appreciate it.

Ian, I wish it were that easy. Whereas every regular issue of Imagine is "out there" one one of the file download sites, I've never seen the dummy issue / #0 / preview issue on any of the various download sites.

Guy Fullerton

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:40 am 

Ah. Right.
I think Brette said he had one too.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:37 pm 

I do.. from memory its exactly the same just with the bank spaces in.. its not handy to look at

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:53 pm 

Volume 1 is April 1983. Issue 0 Number 0 (as it is listed on the title page) is September 1982. There are no other dates listed.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:48 am 

stratochamp wrote in Imagine Magazine 1 April 1983:Volume 1 is April 1983. Issue 0 Number 0 (as it is listed on the title page) is September 1982. There are no other dates listed.

So quite some time between the two issues.
Has there ever been a comparison between the two? What was left in, what was removed, what was added etc?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:09 pm 

Bill, thank you! Very helpful!

As far as differences, I understand #0 was a hybrid of content from the first couple issues, at least. Imagine #2 p 16 contains a description of issue #0, extracted from the Psychopath fanzine (among reactions to #0 from multiple fanzine editors). It describes two mini-modules: One introductory (presumably "The Beacon at Enon Tor" from #1), and another for AD&D 1st-9th level party ("this being achieved by insertion of different monsters, traps, etc. for each level — all of the stats are given") which doesn't match any of the early mini-modules at all. It describes the QB-161-09: Antares story from #1, as well as the Barbarian class from #2.

For dating the release of #0, Dib Dib Dib #26 p 8 mentions it, but the prior issue of Dib Dib Dib did not, which suggests that fanzine editor received it in November or later (based on the various issues' submission deadlines). I thought I had a similar DragonLords mention, but I can't find it at the moment; I might be imagining things. Regardless, it could have gone out to potential advertisers and fanzine editors at different times, so certainly could have been shipped as early as 1982 September.

Guy Fullerton

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:14 am 

I recently picked up a copy of Imagine Magazine # 0 on eBay and wondered how rare it actually is? I know some of the pricing guidance on this site seems to indicate its quite rare in comparison to other issues but that could just be that Imagine is just more collectable in the UK so hard to value.