redbook Tegel, looking for help with valuation
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:31 pm 

I know these are fair condition at best in many ways, but being new to this I was hoping for other eyes to check these out. I have little confidence in my own valuation ability since I'm so new to this.

Red Tegel Manor

Monster & Treasure Assortment Set Two

Monster & Treasure Assortment Set One

The Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:27 pm 

...a gentle, one time bump for help?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:31 pm 

Some of the pricing appears to be a little dated, but hopefully this part of the site will help -

Index by Title

I would help more but JG items are by no means my area.   PDT_Armataz_01_04

Carpe DM!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:37 pm 

I appreciate the help and link.

Mainly I'm trying to understand how valuation is related to appearance. It *seems* to me that the more or less rare an item is moves the valuation to appearance ratio. So that more rarity decreases the need for appearance and vis a versa.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:14 pm 

IMO, those are good reading copies, or for those who wish to research. They are not really in collectible condition, but very desirable to those who want to play with the original products with little fear of damaging their collectables. I'm a little out of touch with current pricing trends, but I wouldn't expect that copy of Tegel to fetch more than $30 or so. Possibly list the lot as a job lot of $50-60 Buy it Now?

I'm sure someone will jump in if I'm way off the mark here.  :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:01 am 

Thanks for the input. I was thinking reading/gaming copies.

If I decide to part with them I'll remember the Lot sale idea. Putting the together like that would probably make it more durable for someone seeking play copies.

So would you list them as Fair though? That's something I'm trying to get down is the actual judging of items.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:15 pm 

Tegel and the TSR things look to be Fair condition. I haven't looked through my collection to say whether or not. Tegel is complete. IIRC it came with two maps, one blank outline for the players to fill out, and the other double sided with the wilderness on one side and the manor on the other. Either way, if a DM wants the authentic gaming experience on a budget, it's worth $20. But there are cheaper more modern reprints from the past few decades that would give it a run for its money, and a wise player may be better buying a newer reprint.

As for Badabaskar, it looks to be in either Good Condition or VGC with staple rust. I haven't seen inside of course, so just going by the photos. With old newsprint items from all the publishers, staple rust is no big deal. Most of us have stub that is virtually mint except for staple rust, and JG stuff is very susceptible to it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:08 pm 

While I probably paid more than I should, overall these items were in a larger lot with even more items, so I think I did alright. I'm sorry to hear about the second map, I'll check what came in with that lot a second time. As for use or sale, I'm keeping a number of those lot items. For me even as play copies I just enjoy the aesthetic of the older items.

The important bit for me in getting valuation confirmed here is learning visually what an item might look like in a certain range of condition. I've gone over verbal definitions, but I have a sincere issue with naive-literalist readings.

So it's great to have help from others who've actually got hands on experience with condition determination.

Thanks again.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:22 pm 

We all pay more than we should for things early on in our collecting.
Better to do it on small things that big things.
I spend $200 more than I should have on my first copy of Palace of the Vampire Queen. It wasn't the biggest error I made either. There were a few private deals with authors for manuscripts that were pretty stupid too.
You did okay.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:35 pm 

Thanks for the encouragement. :D