Pre-production 3rd edition rulebooks
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:50 pm 

Well, cleaning out the basement can yield dividends!

While I was down there, I turned up a pre-production copy of the third edition Player's Handbook.  This is a spiral-bound copy that was issued to companies who got on board the d20 boat very early; I got my copies while working with Emperor's Choice, the company that holds the Arduin license.

I put a copy of the pre-release DMG up at auction a few years back (I believe Invincible Overlord wound up winning it, if I'm not mistaken.)

Does anyone know if there's still any demand for these?  I'm pretty sure there's another PHB and DMG down there somewhere, if I'm willing to go digging through all the boxes...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:52 am 

I'd have to dig mine out too but I think these are prestige format with black spine tape rather than spiral bound.

I'm sure there is still a market for them but it might not be as strong as it once was.  This pre-pub was available on a fairly large scale (also available to RPGA members) compared to other pre-pubs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:06 am 

The DMG was prestige format, Mars, with a beige cardstock cover; the PHB was comb-bound, with a clear plastic cover.  (At least, that was the case for the copies I received.)

I have no idea why they bound them differently.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:42 pm 

Phentari wrote in Pre-production 3rd edition rulebooks:Well, cleaning out the basement can yield dividends!

While I was down there, I turned up a pre-production copy of the third edition Player's Handbook.  This is a spiral-bound copy that was issued to companies who got on board the d20 boat very early; I got my copies while working with Emperor's Choice, the company that holds the Arduin license.

I put a copy of the pre-release DMG up at auction a few years back (I believe Invincible Overlord wound up winning it, if I'm not mistaken.)

Does anyone know if there's still any demand for these?  I'm pretty sure there's another PHB and DMG down there somewhere, if I'm willing to go digging through all the boxes...

Yes indeed I won it!!!

But it was black-tape bound, not spiral bound.

If you have a pre-pub Monster Manual I'd be interested in that as well... :)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:05 pm 

Yep--the DMG was tape-bound, and the PHB is comb-bound.  I'm still not sure why the binding is different; it may have to do with the fact that the PHB was issued to us quite some time before the DMG.  

I don't have a Monster Manual personally, but I may know someone who does; if so, I'm hopeful that he will make a donation to the charity auction.  I'll keep you posted.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:53 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote in Pre-production 3rd edition rulebooks:If you have a pre-pub Monster Manual I'd be interested in that as well... :)

The pre-pub MM is fairly rare: Monte Cook's had a bundle of additional art with it when Burnie Bros. sold their copy IIRC.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"