D&D Original Wood Grain
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:23 pm 

Watching this item on ebay and having been out of the "collecting" aspect of this for a very long time, what is the true range for this item on Ebay these days? This already seems a little crazy or I have am losing touch on the pricing of these items, and this still has many days left. Ive been wanting to pick up a copy (I believe this is the first edition printing - beta possibly?) but not sure what the rate is for an item in a similar condition as this. Can anyone out there give me your opinion?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Thanks!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:59 pm 

You've lost touch with the value of these items. This will probably end up between $4000-$5000. It's a first print in solid condition, no splits or obvious damage.

Now, third prints sell for under $1000. If you wanted a "cheap" woodgrain, that's the way you should go. If you want first print, you pay first print money.

Zenfinite

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:43 am 

Thanks for the info...this was extremely helpful...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:47 am 

Zenfinite wrote in D&D Original Wood Grain:Now, third prints sell for under $1000. If you wanted a "cheap" woodgrain, that's the way you should go.

When was the last decent 3rd print under $1000, out of interest? (not even the current glitched Acaeum site estimate ;))

(aside: I was still amused to see the Chainmail go cheap that went along with the previous 2nd print on eBay, but the total was still quite a bit higher than might've been expected a few years back).

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:49 pm 

Its not mentioned what version this is. It looks to be a first print, can anyone check me on that and confirm? Beta?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:52 am 

StormGod wrote in D&D Original Wood Grain:Its not mentioned what version this is. It looks to be a first print, can anyone check me on that and confirm? Beta?

That would be a First Print Beta as described here on the Acaeum.  The Seller claims there is no indication of printing which is only found in the First Print Woodgrains.  In addition, there are errata sheets and a different cover on the Volume 3 which are both indicative of the First Print Beta.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:32 am 

StormGod wrote in D&D Original Wood Grain:Its not mentioned what version this is. It looks to be a first print, can anyone check me on that and confirm? Beta?

As a note of caution, I would be careful about taking the current Acaeum classification as set in stone. The often overlooked bullet point from the description of the 1st print here is:

"Allegedly, 1000 copies of this set were printed by Graphic Printing (and hand-assembled by Gygax and friends in his home).  Reportedly took eleven months to sell out.  As evidenced by the additional prints below, there is strong indication that the box, the cover stickers, and the booklets themselves were printed in differing amounts, which led to later "frankensteining" of the various parts"

Wise words. Ultimately this looks like a very nice 1st print. As to finer sub-categorisation I would take some of that with a pinch of salt. :)

[edit] .. I have some (probably incomplete) price records for Woodgrains over the years and this price looks to be (at the time of typing :)) kind of on par. As I have noted before on other threads, if I was going to bid on this I would be wanting to see some other pics (box corners, staples etc...).  

Good luck!!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:37 pm 

Ended at $7200! Is that one for the Outrageous Prices thread, or is it that the current market?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:48 pm 

Is there really even a "market" when dealing with offerings this scarce?  I almost think each one is a case unto itself.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:13 pm 

Price is always subjective, and with stuff like this it is inevitably going to go up over time. Every time a permacollector picks up a super rare item, it is one less that will ever hit the market, but for every collector that liquidates there are ten new ones in the game.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:34 pm 

Absolutely.  I see collectibles at that level of rarity as being more akin to original art than other mass-produced commodities; prices are going to vary widely, simply because a serious collector cannot be assured of the chance of purchasing another in the same quality.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:04 pm 

Ya, my high bid on that item was 5.2K and thought that it would never get that high...when it ran right past my high bid to 7.2K my mouth hit the floor.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:56 am 

If those prices start hitting 10k, I would seriously have to consider selling mine I think.

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:46 pm 

Well that is apparently not that far off.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:33 pm 

I'm very surprised it went that high.

Phentari wrote in D&D Original Wood Grain:Absolutely.  I see collectibles at that level of rarity as being more akin to original art than other mass-produced commodities; prices are going to vary widely, simply because a serious collector cannot be assured of the chance of purchasing another in the same quality.

Indeed. The same seller sold a 1st print Alpha prior to this auction for about $600. Then again, that one didn't have a box or reference sheets and I believe the staples were removed. Other than that, the booklets of the Alpha print seemed to be in better condition, as this Beta print seems to have some damage caused by humidity near the edges as well as on the outer page of the reference sheets.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:21 am 

Glad I'm not the only one to have spotted the humidity issues. The Alpha booklets would've gone higher had the seller not killed that listing to international bidders, as the pool below $1k is much broader as long as you don't kick the buyer for ~20% for no reason.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"