Empire of the Petal Throne -1st Edition Box Set
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:03 am 

Last weekend I stumbled on to this ridiculously awesome find for a mere $40 CDN. It was sitting on a dusty shelf almost completely hidden by random used boardgames, but I somehow spied the "1975 Tactical Studies Rules" on the side of the box. I was actually on my way out of the store, having not found anything to buy! I still can't believe my luck ... I am a big fan of Prof. M.A.R. Barker's work (novels, gaming products, etc.) but I never thought I would ever see a copy of the EotPT box set.

Anyway, having used this Acaeum thread acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... al#p190606 to confirm that it is indeed a 1st edition item, I'm curious to know what it might be worth?

It appears to be complete and in really good shape for being 40 years old. I am more than happy to post pictures and provide any details needed, but I'm not sure exactly *what* you'll need to see for a decent appraisal, so I would appreciate some guidance in that regard.

Thanks in advance! :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:19 am 

I picked up my 1st edition print, which is in VG condition (white box is still white, crisp corners, etc) for about ~$140 more than a year ago but I still think that might have been high.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:21 pm 

Metal-Demon wrote in Empire of the Petal Throne -1st Edition Box Set:Last weekend I stumbled on to this ridiculously awesome find for a mere $40 CDN. It was sitting on a dusty shelf almost completely hidden by random used boardgames, but I somehow spied the "1975 Tactical Studies Rules" on the side of the box. I was actually on my way out of the store, having not found anything to buy! I still can't believe my luck ... I am a big fan of Prof. M.A.R. Barker's work (novels, gaming products, etc.) but I never thought I would ever see a copy of the EotPT box set.

Anyway, having used this Acaeum thread acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... al#p190606 to confirm that it is indeed a 1st edition item, I'm curious to know what it might be worth?

It appears to be complete and in really good shape for being 40 years old. I am more than happy to post pictures and provide any details needed, but I'm not sure exactly *what* you'll need to see for a decent appraisal, so I would appreciate some guidance in that regard.

I think it is worth about $40.00, please send it to me and I will confirm it is a first print  :wink:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:39 pm 

cabala wrote in Empire of the Petal Throne -1st Edition Box Set:I picked up my 1st edition print, which is in VG condition (white box is still white, crisp corners, etc) for about ~$140 more than a year ago but I still think that might have been high.

I'd've thought $150 or a little over is OK, so you're doing fine IMO.

Add more for dice? :)

** expired eBay auction **

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:41 pm 

Metal-Demon wrote in Empire of the Petal Throne -1st Edition Box Set:Last weekend I stumbled on to this ridiculously awesome find for a mere $40 CDN. It was sitting on a dusty shelf almost completely hidden by random used boardgames, but I somehow spied the "1975 Tactical Studies Rules" on the side of the box. I was actually on my way out of the store, having not found anything to buy! I still can't believe my luck ... I am a big fan of Prof. M.A.R. Barker's work (novels, gaming products, etc.) but I never thought I would ever see a copy of the EotPT box set.

get with that dude on facebook selling and EPT manuscript and he'll say it's worth $10,000!!

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:07 pm 

Anyone else with an appraisal / help with an appraisal?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:22 pm 

Great fun find! Stories like that are nice to hear :). How about a pic?

I paid about 100 for mine a few years ago, so the previous posts are probably about right. Either way, you did ok!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:57 pm 

Please post some photos. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:37 am 

As you can plainly see, the plastic coil from the booklet is missing ... not sure if this affects the value of the item. What I'm sure *will* affect the value is the fact that only tonight did I notice that there are 3 pages missing which have been replaced with photocopies. :(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:37 pm 

$80-100 in good condition.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:54 pm 

Metal-Demon wrote in Empire of the Petal Throne -1st Edition Box Set:What I'm sure *will* affect the value is the fact that only tonight did I notice that there are 3 pages missing which have been replaced with photocopies. :(

Sounds like the perfect copy to make a pdf from (for yourself only of course)! :)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:23 pm 

Deadlord wrote in Empire of the Petal Throne -1st Edition Box Set:$80-100 in good condition.

At that price ($80); I will purchase every 1st print EotPT set you have in similar condition....
ALL of them....

If the spiral was present I would say that set could bring in around $150-175 on e-Bay in a seven to ten day listing (Auction).
Without?
Might get around $100-125.

FWIW,
Those binders/spirals are easy to re-insert.
Go to any big name copy center, they have the binders/spirals and the machines as well and I suspect they will place it for you at low cost.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM