T.H.E Fighter (GM2)
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:55 pm 

aia:  Yes! :)   Chivalry and Sorcery!!  We used the geography of Wales and place names from there in the early Middle Ages.  Enough people joined the campaign that we had a "House of Lords" with about 20 members including bishops and the like, a King, Queen, Primate of the Realm, a system for written messages so players could "talk" with other players outside of the weekly gaming sessions - nothing fancy, pigeon holes with the player's in-game name and a lid and the GM (yours truly  :oops: ) had an in-box for the players' use, just a small wooden box with a mail slot in the top.  Players write their message, drop it in the box, GM reads it and puts it in the appropriate receiving player's "mail box" or responds to the sender if it's addressed to the GM.   All on the honor system with a side provision in the campaign rules for lost messages and spies all handled on paper outside the weekly in-person sessions.  Tourneys, jousts, duels, marriages - a surprising number of women joined the campaign (this was in the 1970's remember) and we had consorts, dowager duchesses, ruling countesses etc.  One of our players was an Army Catholic chaplain and - surprise! - he became the Primate of the Realm and conducted several formal excommunications (suitably altered from the real thing you see).  Probably two solid years of Saturday FRP gaming with a congenial bunch of like-minded idiots.   :wink:   Had a campaign newsletter with the Assistant GM (Ken Costley, who else?) as Editor and he invited one and all to send in articles, letters to the Editor and all the usual newspaper stuff.  Ah, all before computers, for the most part.  Neither Ken nor I had anything that was available back then, if anything was.  Ken finished off the campaign with a final edition of the Newsletter (can't bring the name of it to mind), with a suitably dramatised end of the Kingdom via invasion and a horrible and  nearly 100% fatal epidemic - Black Death I think he called it - showing deaths from the war and the epidemic and maps suitably marked to show all the events.  He may still have some or much of that paperwork.  If I can find his address or phone number I'll ask him.  I sure wrote a lot about something I couldn't remember the name of yesterday, eh?  PDT_Armataz_01_04

Yes, sauromatian, that is how it is with much social relationships over the last 40 to 50 years.  Much more moving around than prior generations, letter writing has withered away to near zero, cell phones don't have a phone book to "Look up Fred's number" in.  Makes this place all the more welcome to me as the poet has  it, "Oft in the stilly night, ere slumber's chains have bound me, fond memory brings the light of other days around me."  Thanks to all for stimulating my 75 year old memory and bringing "the light of other days" to my conscious attention.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:59 pm 

This is exactly the kind of stuff I love reading in these forums. Thank you for chiming in. Also, any chance you have some notes from T.H.E. Mage squirreled away in the attic?  :lol:

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:50 pm 

I can say without looking, clancy, no.  That was 40-plus years ago, five moves from one house to another, and besides whatever we had of notes for T.H.E. Mage were given to Ken, since Forest and I assigned the copyright to the whole series of modules to him.  Two moves, you know, equals one house fire as far as things getting thrown away.  But I think Ken probably has something, but maybe not, it's been 40 odd years for him too.  Sorry.  And you're quite welcome as I enjoy telling about "the old days".   :lol:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:29 pm 

Ike47 wrote in T.H.E Fighter (GM2):that is how it is with much social relationships over the last 40 to 50 years.  Much more moving around than prior generations, letter writing has withered away to near zero, cell phones don't have a phone book to "Look up Fred's number" in.

I once played in a D&D/MERP group composed of mostly graduating seniors in college. After they all left, it would have been difficult to keep in touch in those pre-Facebook days as they looked for jobs or whatever. Usually that would have involved getting the address phone numbers of their parents, & hoping that messages would get to them. Today, I don't even remember a single one of their names.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:41 am 

Interesting reading, thanks for joining and sharing the background

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:35 am 

ashmire13:  You're quite welcome.  And the correct answer to the question in your signature line is:  "Yes, yourself, in a very sensitive part of your anatomy."  :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:34 pm 

Such a great read...thank you! Love to read this stuff :)

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:17 am 

What sucha great and true story!
Thanks!!!

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:30 pm 

You are very welcome, sir!  Thank you all for your interest and I hope your dice always roll up critical saves for your characters, critical hits against your enemies and for love eternal.

Previous