3rd print woodgrain value
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:28 pm 

Hi folks,

I am wondering what is the current value of a 3rd print woodgrain. I would consider to sell it if the market price is as I expect. Here is the pics. I took pics of all writings present on booklets.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:35 pm 

These guys can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking $1,000 +

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:21 pm 

SH60B wrote in 3rd print woodgrain value:These guys can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking $1,000 +

I was thinking with the condition of that box $2k+ easily.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:13 pm 

that looks nice!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:03 pm 

I would have thought $1200-$1500 but that could be low given the condition of the box.  That`s a nice one :)

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:29 pm 

I have no idea anymore :)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:36 pm 

Thanks guys!

I will certainly post it is classified soon. Perhaps with some rare non-TSR items.

Adventures in Austerion : a fantasy RPG, with boardgame mechanisms and modular battlemap. By Guillaume Tavernier and Géraud G.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:17 pm 

$1200 is reasonable... maybe $1500...

But then again I was gaming at Stratochamp's house last week and re-visited the shrine of brown boxes.

There are better out there...  :P
--------------------------------------------------

So brown boxes are increasing in price now...?

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:44 pm 

The 1st and 3rd prints have risen quite a bit over the last couple of years:

1st, 2nd, 3rd - 2013 (VG):
$2,549
$1,040
$732

1st, 2nd, 3rd - 2015 (VG)
$2,964
$1,016
$984

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:38 pm 

I would agree that prices are rising.  There is not a lot of woodgrains of any print out there for sale and a lot more demand recently.  As someone like me, I came into the collecting side later than most here and have not seen the lower prices posted in earlier posts on the forum for things.  Such prices that years ago may have been in the "Silliest Auction Price" thread are now seemingly the new reasonable price.  These things keep going up and I would estimate you could get at least $1500 for it.  The rarities are in the hands of collectors mostly and the low end of average is most likely people selling with low BIN's on eBay who have no idea of price.  Of course I am not privy to internal sales among Acaeum members and such, but an intact box with books and reference sheets present is huge.  The writing shouldn't be too much of a deterrent for prospective buyers.  Those who want a minty writing free woodgrain of any print will probably have to pay what they would for a used car to get one soon.  

If you post here, chances are you will make someone's day who has been watching for one for years and may be able to find things you are looking for to complete your collection.  If just selling for monetary sake, I would just list on eBay and see what happens.  Either way, good luck with the sale (if you sell)!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:45 am 

As a collector - If I was in the market to purchase one of the woody box sets - TODAY!
assuming the Box is in Fine or better condition (Box) and the Books/Supplements/Errata sheet - Fine + or better
with NO Writing on anything - I would expect to pay along the lines of:
1st Print $3500 plus
2nd Print $2700 plus
3rd Print $1800 plus

IMO: the woodie above -
Box: is in VG plus condition
There are some stains and some bubbling of the sticker on the top, with slight crinkles at two corners of the box top itself  
The box bottom shows signs of separation of the wood grain wrap from the cardboard at the corners....
Not fine, but very solid.

Books: VG minus condition  
unfortunately, there is plenty of writing and a few stains..... all three books have a name written at the top right front corner of the covers.
Vol. 3 seems to have a LOT of issues if I am following the pictures correctly, the small stain on the back cover and at least 1-2 pages inside as well.
Then there are several pictures showing writing inside one or more books.....
Vol. 2 has a round stain on the front cover and at least one page with writing inside.
Vol. 1  tough to tell from the pictures if this one has any addition defects, as the pictures are not clear as to what books go with what inside page pictures.
One thing that stands out to me is the lack of rust to the staples.... I really like this.

Supplements/Errata sheet: Fine - VF condition - assuming it is all present with no writing

I would value that set at around $900-$1100, but on e-Bay in an open auction of seven or ten days it could easily go well beyond that amount.
However; unless a few high end collectors are really desperate for it and fight to the end I do not see the sell price doubling to $1800...
I can see it selling for $1500 on e-Bay though.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:02 am 

I agree that $1500 would be a solid starting price for it. The box is solid, and that's important. The writing detracts from value for ME, but I have seen many others not mind as much as I do.

$1500 would be a good sell for it, IMHO.

Zenfinite

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:25 am 

Actually, all the writings are pictured, so not a lot of writings. However, the name on each book could be an issue. I am wondering if it is not possible to erase them.

Thanks for the estimates.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:06 pm 

lokiwookie wrote in 3rd print woodgrain value:Actually, all the writings are pictured, so not a lot of writings. However, the name on each book could be an issue. I am wondering if it is not possible to erase them.

Thanks for the estimates.

That appears to be writing in pen, and not pencil.

I wouldn't risk trying to remove it, without damaging the books.

It is what it is...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:29 pm 

Yes, pen.
I erased pen on few common items (and the paper was less fragile), but I am not sure I would try on these booklets :)