D&D Original in Woodgrain Box 3rd Printing
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:31 am 

I was given this set as a birthday present by my Dad back in 1975.
I have the April 1975 printing, 3 books in the original woodgrain box and the rule sheets, plus supplements Greyhawk (July 1975), Blackmoor (Sept 1975) Eldritch Wizardry (April 1976) Gods, Demi-Gods and Heroes, Swords & Spells (both July 1976) Chainmail (3rd ed. 2nd print, grey ring-bound).
I'd describe the condition as used. There are a few tiny marks on some of the books and the box is worn at the edges, but slightly better than the two similar sets currently on ebay.
The ebay prices on these ($5000 & $9000) seem excessive.
I'd be grateful for an honest appraisal before I decide whether or not to put it in the classifieds on this site.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:31 pm 

I bought a 3rd print woodgrain set in excellent condition - very little wear on box and books for $1500 in an open Ebay auction last year.

For ones with moderate wear, you would be in the $1000 range.

For the supplements, they can be in the $25-$50 range each, chainmail in the $50-$60.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:25 pm 

The 1st print supplements don't do all that well nowadays but they'd have to be pretty badly trashed for $25. Mark's erring on the side of caution, so hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised.

For the woodgrain box, $1,500 just about gets you an incomplete set in a torn, stained box and rusted-staple books nowadays. The one before was same ballpark IIRC.

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

No orange (Greyhawk) ref sheets?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:52 pm 

Here's the auction that I picked up:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:48 pm 

Thank you both for your comments, plus the PM I received as well. I suppose some photos might help.
Having been used for about 5 years, then stuck in a cupboard for 35 years, I am acutely aware that every time I touch that box it seems to deteriorate! I take it the quality of the box is all important here, and now I notice it is split in one corner. The "expensive" box on ebay currently has clearly been repaired with brown tape. Is there any value in trying to restore the quality in this way? My gut instinct says "no".
I am showing the "worst" of my set, namely that the staples on volumes one and two have rusted and the covers are no longer attached. Volume 3 is fine, as are all the supplements. There is only one inked annotation in the whole set (in vol 3).
It's amazing how, as soon as I scrutinize something I thought was in good condition, I start to see faults!
(I can't remember any orange supplements to Greyhawk by the way).

Attachment:
2015-02-22 22-14-13.304.jpg
Attachment:
2015-02-22 22-22-35.679.jpg
Attachment:
2015-02-22 22-23-12.498.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:04 pm 

faro wrote in D&D Original in Woodgrain Box 3rd Printing:For the woodgrain box, $1,500 just about gets you an incomplete set in a torn, stained box and rusted-staple books nowadays. The one before was same ballpark IIRC.

I'm happy I finally pulled the trigger on one when I did (not to mention the drop in the value Canadian dollar).

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:49 pm 

don't feel bad Paramos, almost everyone overrates the condition of their own items; you are the rare soul that actually admits it.
about a year ago (give or take) i bought a 3rd print in nicer shape than yours for about 1000. then i would have pegged yours at around 800, but prices have definitely been rising sharply. i wouldn't be surprised if you got 1200+ for it. it always just takes two.
good luck.

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:40 am 

I do agree with stratochamp: 750-1000 would be an honest appraisal... this doesnt include the craziness you might cross on ebay...

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:09 am 

Honesty indeed! Given the graininess of the photos, though, I'd still recommend retaking those with a good light source as I suspect the colors should be whiter than they appear.
Regarding staple rust and detached covers, that might've ended up saving them from major spine splitting as the 3rd print is very prone to such such damage. I've seen barely-handled gorgeous looking books with splits at both ends, which can be very difficult to spot on auction photos.

(Pity no orange ref. sheets; that 3rd woodgrain/2nd Greyhawk combo is fairly close to top of the list for having the Greyhawk reference sheets as an added bonus, but the channel those were made available through is still debated).

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:17 pm 

Once again, thanks to everyone for their comments. Thanks Faro for advice on the photos (I used my webcam for the ones I posted... probably too honest but I wanted a fair appraisal). Now I have an idea of a price range I shall put the set for auction on ebay in the next couple of weeks.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:43 pm 

Paramos wrote in D&D Original in Woodgrain Box 3rd Printing:Once again, thanks to everyone for their comments. Thanks Faro for advice on the photos (I used my webcam for the ones I posted... probably too honest but I wanted a fair appraisal). Now I have an idea of a price range I shall put the set for auction on ebay in the next couple of weeks.

If you put it here first to sell, you may save the 10% (or whatever that) Ebay charges...

... good luck...

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:41 pm 

Well, I finally sold the boxed set this evening for just over $1000 on Ebay. I have to say you all judged it very accurately on this forum. I'm now waiting to see how all the supplements do later this week (I'm not expecting much as each are starting at £20 each!).