? Re: Deities & Demigods for $499
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:53 am 

Given the price tag - does this book include anything special? Like a spell to actually summon Cthulhu? Or perhaps Eltic's sword? $499 is a ridiculous price for this.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:00 pm 

Perhaps the "Ex TSR employee" in the description makes it more valuable?  Not sure who exactly.

~throwi

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:15 pm 

I don't see how a book that was simply owned by an anonymous TSR employee adds any kind of value to the book.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:28 pm 

It may be overpriced, I guessed as well as I could. Though there are two watchers so far. Whether they buy or not remains to be seen, lol. If it doesn't sell I'll re-list it at a lower price and try again. I've seen worse condition copies sell for more, but that doesn't mean that'll happen here, I'll grant. The mention of the TSR employee, correctly pointed out, doesn't add to the value of the item. She's not a "name." I mentioned it on all these items just to provide a frame of reference. I know I'd be a little jaundiced if someone suddenly posted 22 shrink-wrapped items on eBay. More of an explanatory note than anything. Thanks for taking a look and providing your feedback!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:26 pm 

I'm not at all trying to be argumentative, but you've seen ANY copy of Deities & Demigods sell for $500?!

It's really not a rare book, or all that hard to find.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:36 pm 

Well, again, I grant that the price may be way off. I dint know nearly as much about this as hard core collectors. I was watching a relatively beat-up copy several months ago on eBay, and it did sell. If I recall correctly the end price was about $650. Maybe my memory is even faulty. This is in way better shape, and is a first print. So I thought I was starting low at this price. Obviously I know my error now. So it clearly won't sell at this price from what you all say.  But I'm obviously not re-listing it for less until the auction is over.

Its clear that I've been a fool here. Hope I haven't insulted any here!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:56 pm 

deadeyedave44 wrote in ? Re: Deities & Demigods for $499:Its clear that I've been a fool here. Hope I haven't insulted any here!

We're not insulted at all.  Some of us were just wondering what was going on.  Welcome!   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:17 pm 

Thanks, good to be here!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:05 pm 

Hi deadeyedave44. Are you related to sunrunner44 by any chance?

Shrink is not a condition

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:54 pm 

I don't think so? It's impossible fur me to day for sure without knowing who is behind the handle, but not that I know of. Lol

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:55 pm 

Sorry, phone autocorrect nonsense

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:48 pm 

Hey, just wanted to add that I think the auction or auctions you saw were copies that had original autographs that went for a lot of $$$. I've never seen one go, even in as good a condition as yours, for anywhere near that.

one in Jan 2011 sold for $405 and was autographed by Ward and Kuntz (prob the one you're thinking of)
There was one that had two autographs by Jeff Dee and Laforce back in 2011 that went for $228.
There was a "comp" copy of Gygax's that went for $188 in 2011
another one in 2008 which was a misprint 1st printing for $291

those are some examples. You might find someone to pay $100 for yours (complete guess since I haven't been following the general sales for a while), but I'm sure it would go for at least $50 immediately, even though these prints are not as rare as what a lot of people were told.

deadeyedave44 wrote in ? Re: Deities & Demigods for $499:Its clear that I've been a fool here. Hope I haven't insulted any here!

btw, I was the one that posted your auction in our poking-fun thread "Candidate for Silliest price of the Year"
New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year

hope you don't feel insulted...it's all in good fun!

you'll find a lot of great info on our site, beyond just estimates of prices from some years back. If you're interested in D&D, stick around!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:25 pm 

kythri wrote in ? Re: Deities & Demigods for $499:I don't see how a book that was simply owned by an anonymous TSR employee adds any kind of value to the book.

I should have added a few smiley faces and whatnot to emphasize the sarcasm.  :-)

~throwi

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:18 pm 

I've got not one but two copies signed by Ward, Kuntz, Otus, Darlene, Dee, Diesel, Schick, and Jaquays.  Perks of running NTRPG con so many years!!!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:26 pm 

Badmike wrote in ? Re: Deities & Demigods for $499:I've got not one but two copies signed by Ward, Kuntz, Otus, Darlene, Dee, Diesel, Schick, and Jaquays.  Perks of running NTRPG con so many years!!!

Mike B.

And they're still not worth $499.00, but they are priceless.   :wink:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:19 pm 

Badmike wrote in ? Re: Deities & Demigods for $499:I've got not one but two copies signed by Ward, Kuntz, Otus, Darlene, Dee, Diesel, Schick, and Jaquays.  Perks of running NTRPG con so many years!!!

Mike B.

not to be outdone -- I have almost all the signatures!  :cheers:
there's one I won't be able to get unfortunately.. Holmes  :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:57 am 

D&D is one of the most overvalued books in the entire hobby so there's no shame in pricing it something crazy, Deadeye.  About a 20 years ago, a local bookstore (not a gamestore) had one in the case under their cash register along with some Stephen King first editions and signed stuff.  They wanted $300 and the condition was not very good.  For as long as they were open that book didn't move and the price didn't change, even though I told them many times you could find a copy online for less than half that amount in better shape.  They had "heard" it was the most valuable D&D item ever published, and their reasons were a mishmash of legend and lunacy ("They used the Cthulhu Mythos and got sued by Lovecraft's estate").  I think the case is most people know it's special and valuable, but the estimates vary wildly among people out of the hobby so it creeps in to the hobby itself.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:18 am 

Badmike wrote in ? Re: Deities & Demigods for $499:They had "heard" it was the most valuable D&D item ever published..so it creeps in to the hobby itself.

This is the key to the misunderstanding - market value or not, it's what they've heard of. As market value is driven by perception, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, but I don't think it's altogether unhealthy for the hobby. The copious supply of Deities w/Cthulhu results in a lot of sellers who think they have something valuable, which generally reinforces the idea that old RPG books have value.

Next