Dungeon Crawl Classics - #3.5 and #17.5 Valuation?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:31 am 

Apologies, posted this in the wrong forum, so I deleted that and am reposting here:

Good evening!

Just wanted to get some feedback from folks on pricing for a couple of DCC modules, specifically:

#3.5 - The Haunted Lighthouse
#17.5 - War of the Witch Queen

Noble Knight has #3.5 for $495 (10% off that for the rest of the night, it seems) or a signed-by-Arneson copy for $695 (same 10% discount).

They also have #17.5 for $395.

How realistic/reasonable are these prices?

My inquiry is absolutely not meant to insinuate that Noble Knight is gouging, and I can't honestly say that I've really ever had an issue before with them, but, then again, I also don't typically buy really "rare" stuff.

I guess I'm more curious what they've sold for in recent times - as far as I know, NK is the only party offering these, and even if the 10% off is a super deal, I won't likely be picking these up immediately.  I'm just curious if I'm best off waiting for someone else to offer them up, or if I should be more interested in these copies.

Thank you very much!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:47 am 

hi,

the 3.5 module either they bought or someone else bought off of Ebay in 2012 for around $384 from Collectors Trove
there was another one that sold in 2009 for $331

17.5 I'm not sure about

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:45 am 

That was me who got the Collector's Trove auction... I worried it was too much at the time, but there really are very few that come up.

17.5 seems to have been available in greater numbers - at least I think I've seen more copies - and were selling in the $100-$150 range (when I noticed them)

So I would think 3.5 isn't too far off the mark, at least at $450, but I bet you could do better on 17.5.  I'll also mention, I've seen more autographed than non-autographed copies so it could be at $450 you're getting one of the rarest 3.5s :)

edit:  our friend and fellow Acaeumite Smarmy1 has some of the other uncommon DCC items up for sale right now, see the classified here: Black Friday RPG Blow Out!!!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D Towels.

Did we need: Jade Magi Sewer Crawl

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:56 am 

Thank you both for the info!

Autographs are cool and all, but I'm unwilling to pay that kind of premium for one right now...

Heck, I'd buy a non-minty copy, simply to plug the whole in my collection and feel less uncomfortable about reading/using it, since I can't seem to find the PDF of this module on RPGnow.

(And thanks for the heads-up about Smarmy1's sale - I found that a few days ago, and already have a missing DCC incoming!  :D )

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:22 pm 

kythri wrote in Dungeon Crawl Classics - #3.5 and #17.5 Valuation?:Heck, I'd buy a non-minty copy, simply to plug the whole in my collection and feel less uncomfortable about reading/using it, since I can't seem to find the PDF of this module on RPGnow.

You can get a copy for free here:

http://dagwood.sandwich.net/docs/dungeo ... thouse.pdf

I don't know how legal this is, but it's an interesting little read.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:28 am 

The estimates that Thunderdave provided are pretty solid especially as 17.5 shows up on eBay from time to time but 3.5 only once in a blue moon. :)  Also as ThunderDave mentioned, the 3.5 is almost always autographed on the cover - a big, bold signature in black.  Since the signature is Dave Arneson's, it is pretty darn cool; however, I think it detracts from the overall aesthetics of the cover so I actually favor the unsigned version. ;)

I guess if we put them on a rarity scale, 12.5 (1st Ed, 2nd Print) < 0 1st Print < 35 Box Set (Shrink) < 17.5 < 30 Box Set (Shrink) < 20.5 < 3.5 (signed) < 3.5 (unsigned) <12.5 (1st Ed, 1st print only 60! 8O )

There are one or two other prints that are hard to find, but collecting them would be MADNESS!!! :) :) :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:07 am 

yeah, I didn't know so many of the 3.5's came autographed.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:25 am 

smarmy1 wrote in Dungeon Crawl Classics - #3.5 and #17.5 Valuation?:I guess if we put them on a rarity scale, 12.5 (1st Ed, 2nd Print) < 0 1st Print < 35 Box Set (Shrink) < 17.5 < 30 Box Set (Shrink) < 20.5 < 3.5 (signed) < 3.5 (unsigned) <12.5 (1st Ed, 1st print only 60! 8O )

What's the box set aspect of #30?  I thought this was just a softcover con module (though, larger)?

smarmy1 wrote in Dungeon Crawl Classics - #3.5 and #17.5 Valuation?:There are one or two other prints that are hard to find, but collecting them would be MADNESS!!! :) :) :)

What are these ones, out of curiosity?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:09 pm 

The GenCon DCC 30 is a box set with miniatures... very cool imho :)

Attachment:
IMG_20141130_181445.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions."  - The Forests of Leng

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:35 pm 

Interesting - I have two copies of the softcover that identifies it as the con module.

Were these sold separately like this, or were these the contents of that box?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:48 pm 

I want one!! :) (of the box set that is)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:38 pm 

The book version was sold as a separate (fairly common) item.  The boxed set is much harder to find and much more expensive.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:14 pm 

Here's a link to the box and contents:  Dungeon Crawl Classics #30:Vault of the Dragon Kings Tournament Edition

Hopefully, the Acaeum wiki can be restored soon as it had some pretty good information concerning DCC material and the various printings and the things that interest collector types. :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:54 pm 

Mars wrote in Dungeon Crawl Classics - #3.5 and #17.5 Valuation?:The book version was sold as a separate (fairly common) item.  The boxed set is much harder to find and much more expensive.

Up until this summer at least 1 reseller had almost 200 copies of the DCC#30 softcover. I had one of the boxed sets (opened) with the minis up for sale early last year at $125 (I think) and no takers.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:54 am 

A couple of recent ebay sales of DCC 3.5

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

** expired eBay auction **

perhaps not the greatest auction titles, still... less than I would have thought.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:45 pm 

Thunderdave wrote in Dungeon Crawl Classics - #3.5 and #17.5 Valuation?:perhaps not the greatest auction titles, still... less than I would have thought.

Checking the images and descriptions makes those two results not quite so catastrophic. I had a good close look before reading and kudos to the first seller for pointing out the full-length vertical crease and general rubbing. The apparent thumb-creases on the back of the second copy (not 100% sure given the reflections when bagged) aren't described ("no refunds" *g*).

$225+ for a relatively fault-free copy, or a bit more for unsigned, would still be low compared with a good number of years ago. Needs a bit of hype/Acaeum effect, I guess. :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"