TSR Great Red Dragon poster
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:47 pm 

Hi - looking for any info on an unusual item - Seems to be a poster/print of "The great red dragon" [but NO ordinary limited sold out edition] by Keith Parkinson, has been professionally framed by a company here in NZ, seems some sort of italic? print that changes as one moves around it/from light source - illuminates with light source at night as well, has the 1994 to 1999: TSR Dragon logo (also shiny Italic?) but the "Great Red Dragon" is Gold! (picture same as Dungeon magazine Vol1 otherwise)

size roughly 22'x18'ish

30+yrs o D&D - never seen or heard of it, No info on web... I bought it from an estate sale some yrs back - an art collector had passed away....

is probably the ultimate in dragon pics/posters I've come across - possibly selling so some sort of valuation would be good too.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:59 pm 

i have no idea what it is "worth", but your description certainly fits a metallic foil version that i have of the print from 1995. it is 21"x17" including a .5" silver border running all the way around it.

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:30 pm 

There were a bunch of these and some Dragonlance ones (Lord Soth's Charge, etc) that were in the auctions rshelley sold a year or two ago.  They ended up selling in the $20-$25 range for each print - I think he called them "chromatic" rather than "metallic".

Here's a pic:

TSR  HUGE Red Dragon Chromatic Retail Poster HEAVY C (11/11/2012)...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:38 pm 

Mars wrote in TSR Great Red Dragon poster:There were a bunch of these and some Dragonlance ones (Lord Soth's Charge, etc) that were in the auctions rshelley sold a year or two ago.  They ended up selling in the $20-$25 range for each print - I think he called them "chromatic" rather than "metallic".

Here's a pic:

TSR  HUGE Red Dragon Chromatic Retail Poster HEAVY C (11/11/2012)...

i always thought the descriptions Chris put on those auctions were entertaining.... get it now! gonna go fast! lots of watcher! those in the 'know' are going to be after this one! lol

when he was selling rheas stuff i would message him and got to know him a little. cool dude. he's actually the one who directed me to this site.

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:02 am 

Chris is definitely a personality.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:00 pm 

Nice! thanks for the info so far... Think i remember his sales yrs back on eBay, He had some of the more expensive bulk listings and took a while to sell some them?...
anyone know where, when, what, ?Anniversary? commemorative? They seem to be extremely limited and can't be forged replicated easily, even the basic posters by Keith Parkinson are very limited and all sold out as is.  The one I have looks to be gold and shines golden too (maybe a reaction over time or fading but doesn't seem like it?)
pic doesn't really show how awesome it is, especially when moving or under lights. was thinking of selling with a copy of "Dungeon" Mag No#1 - would def get $200 here in NZ (possibly upto even $500nz) basically as Rare Dragon Art with a difference (Prof Framed too). so a history and/or amount made would def be good.

ps: If it's something Acaeum want to add - permission for the pic to be submitted/added is all good by me...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:42 pm 

They are listed as "Large Foil Prints" in the 1996 UK catalog with an original price of 17.49 pounds (around $35).  They are regular catalog items so were created on a fair sized scale - I would guess that a few thousand were probably produced.

He had lots of listings and sometimes many copies of the same item.  I believe he had 10+ copies of each of these foil prints.

I don't know much about framing but generally when I see something that is "professionally custom framed" it usually has a matte around the picture.  Your frame looks very tight around the picture with no matte.  There should be a silver border around the whole picture.  You might want to take it out of the frame to see if the picture has been clipped to make it fit the frame.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:30 pm 

Thanks for info as a hard find down here (UK exact opp side of world from New Zealand) can't take frame apart without destroying its original insertion (somebody's added wire to back?...)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:38 pm 

Rickachae wrote in TSR Great Red Dragon poster:(somebody's added wire to back?...)

The wire is to hang it on the wall.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:06 pm 

OHhh! - That'll be viy I kant fine d plug!  (I do like when their strung prop... ;D Lol...)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:20 pm 

Mars wrote in TSR Great Red Dragon poster:
Rickachae wrote in TSR Great Red Dragon poster:(somebody's added wire to back?...)

The wire is to hang it on the wall.

i shall remain quiet as a mouse and still as a rock :P

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:47 pm 

for posterity I'm posting this image for an earlier Great Red Dragon poster that I came across. It was released in 1986 by Tharla Enterprises in Wisconsin that was advertised in magazines. It was around 24x36

Attachment:
12141710_10207997795561534_136037158880571408_n.jpg