Pricing Incomplete Items
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:15 pm 

Hey everyone,

How do you personally price incomplete items? Price it as a relative percent value of how much it would be worth if it were complete, perhaps taking into scarcity of certain accessories (like maps)?

In this specific instance, I have an incomplete City of Greyhawk box set (books, one map, some cardstock cards), and I've had someone inquire about how much I'd sell the two books for. Looks like it sells for $30-$60 complete, so would asking $10 for both the books be unreasonable?

Cheers,

Richard

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:12 pm 

Not unreasonable at all for an incomplete item.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:56 am 

I don't often sell too many incomplete items - inevitably if you collect long enough or buy enough lots, you will get another set that is incomplete and can maybe put 1 full set together.  Alternatively, I sometimes throw in incomplete items into a lot as extra stuff to sell them.

On their own, I would say $5 a book is a fair price.  Usually, its the cards or maps that are missing from boxed sets.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:34 pm 

Very interesting topic. The answer if very dependent on the item.

Say, RPGA3 The Forgotten King module was issued with a matching set of miniatures. I rarely ever see any advertised mentioning that the item is incomplete. RPGA3 typically sells without the miniatures for hundreds of dollars in new condition. You can typically find it listed on the Rare 4 and 5 listing page.

Say, Brown Box edition errata sheets without the box or books would sell for far less.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:54 pm 

RPGA3 and RPGA Figure Set #1 share the same cover art but are 2 distinct items - not sold together.

Value of bits and pieces is very dependent on the value of the original item.  Books from a common boxed set that sells for $40 or so, I would say get what you can for them - $5 sounds reasonable.  Pieces from items that run in the $1000 range scale appropriately - anything related to original brown boxes can still get good prices.  A Brown box (alone) can sell for $100-$200 or so.  Brown Box errata sheets if described with proper printing info would probably do very well too.  

stahlnee wrote in Pricing Incomplete Items:Very interesting topic. The answer if very dependent on the item.

Say, RPGA3 The Forgotten King module was issued with a matching set of miniatures. I rarely ever see any advertised mentioning that the item is incomplete. RPGA3 typically sells without the miniatures for hundreds of dollars in new condition. You can typically find it listed on the Rare 4 and 5 listing page.

Say, Brown Box edition errata sheets without the box or books would sell for far less.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:00 am 

Mars wrote in Pricing Incomplete Items:A Brown box (alone) can sell for $100-$200 or so.

Good luck... :)

Mars wrote in Pricing Incomplete Items:Brown Box errata sheets if described with proper printing info would probably do very well too.

Never seen any sell for a really good price. They should, though, given the frequency with which they're absent from otherwise complete sets.

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"