80's & 90's era items in shrink
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:32 pm 

I'm negotiating with someone for a large lot of items in shrink.  Most are from the 80's and 90's.

From those that have dealt with lots like this in the past, do you have a rule of thumb on what you pay versus what you can sell it for to make it worth the required effort?

The lot is approximately 250+ items.  If I do buy it, I'll offer the items I don't keep here before going the Ebay route.   :)

Carpe DM!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:55 pm 

In general I buy lots at roughly half of what I think I can sell them for individually (or small lots).  If there is a lot of "hard to move" stuff such as Palladium, White Wolf, etc (where value might be $5 a book but are heavy to ship so often difficult to sell) then it might drop to a third of value - i.e. it will take more time and effort to resell.  When I evaluate a lot, I look at the items in 3 phases:

1)  What are the items that are easy to sell in about 1 month - generally this is about the price that I offer for the lot.
2)  What are the items that will hopefully sell in about a 6 month period - this is roughly the profit I'll make on the lot.
3)  What are the items that are going to sit around for a long time (possibly several years) - this is the stuff that you'll pay yourself less than minimum wage to deal with.

I generally consider all D&D stuff in categories 1 & 2 so offer about 50% as a buy in bulk discount.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:15 pm 

cdenham wrote in 80's & 90's era items in shrink:I'm negotiating with someone for a large lot of items in shrink.  Most are from the 80's and 90's.

From those that have dealt with lots like this in the past, do you have a rule of thumb on what you pay versus what you can sell it for to make it worth the required effort?

The lot is approximately 250+ items.  If I do buy it, I'll offer the items I don't keep here before going the Ebay route.   :)

I agree totally with Mars.  If you have to pay more than 50%, I usually just pass.  In most any large lots, there may be a few pleasant surprises, but there are often some disappointments (damage, missing part, etc...).  And when I say 50%, I am talking eBay sold prices, not retail or brick & mortar store prices.

Another "trick," if you want to call it that, is to pay in cash.  I put in my wallet what I want to pay and no more.  "This is what I have in my wallet."  It is amazing how many people lose rational thinking at the sight of that stuff.

Good luck!   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:53 am 

It doesn't sound like it from your description, but if this is someone's personal collection they may be willing to haggle a little more, unless they are simply tired of lugging it around. If it is someone who stumbled across old stock in a storage auction they could have gotten it all for a mere 100 bucks! I totally agree with benjoshua though, a wad of cash in the wallet will really go along way in closing the deal quickly. In any event, I will be looking froward to your calssifieds post on the items you don't want and help you re-coup those costs!  :D

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:35 pm 

cabala wrote in 80's & 90's era items in shrink:It doesn't sound like it from your description, but if this is someone's personal collection they may be willing to haggle a little more, unless they are simply tired of lugging it around. If it is someone who stumbled across old stock in a storage auction they could have gotten it all for a mere 100 bucks! I totally agree with benjoshua though, a wad of cash in the wallet will really go along way in closing the deal quickly. In any event, I will be looking froward to your calssifieds post on the items you don't want and help you re-coup those costs!  :D

And another positive note is that a wad of cash in the wallet is a great way to get robbed while doing a deal through craig's list or rolled in Atlantic City.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:44 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote in 80's & 90's era items in shrink:And another positive note is that a wad of cash in the wallet is a great way to get robbed while doing a deal through craig's list or rolled in Atlantic City.

Excellent point and by no means would I ever wish that on anyone. There is obviously a point where someone must be logical and careful with their money and make those decisions for themselves. I don't think I would be comfortable walking around with K's in my pocket unless I was strapped...lol, but then what kind of deal are we really talking about!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:47 pm 

Yeah, common sense has to kick in.   :)

I won't just arrive with a wad of cash in my front pocket.  This isn't a Craigslist find.  It is actually a business that ran across the lot and purchased them thinking they could pick up some money reselling it.  I don't think they realized what they actually had but unfortunately for me, they did do some homework first.   :(  :lol:

Carpe DM!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:56 pm 

But I have found a guy that says he has most of the 1e and 2e Ravenloft items that he'll part with for 7 grand off Craigslist.   8O

If you want his contact info, just let me know!  :D

Carpe DM!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:01 pm 

cdenham wrote in 80's & 90's era items in shrink:But I have found a guy that says he has most of the 1e and 2e Ravenloft items that he'll part with for 7 grand off Craigslist.   8O

Got to love it. I like when Craig's list sellers specifically state, " These products sell for xx dollars on Amazon or EBay" Great go sell on amazon or Ebay then!

Good luck with your deal, hopefully it is still a steal!  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:09 pm 

cdenham wrote in 80's & 90's era items in shrink:But I have found a guy that says he has most of the 1e and 2e Ravenloft items that he'll part with for 7 grand off Craigslist.   8O

whats his info?? thats a freaking bargain! i'm sporting wood i'm so excited.

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs