Pharaoh Module by Daystar
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:37 pm 

Good Gaming All:

My two sons have recently started playing D and D and they got all my old stuff out of the boxes.  Lots of books, modules, miniatures and of course dice.  I don't think much is worth anything, either well used or fairly common.  I did some searches though and it looks as if the module Pharaoh by the Hickman's Daystar West might be worth something.  I did see where the Hickman's sold off some of their own old stock for outrageous prices but I wouldn't expect that for a module that has been used.  Also I applied a clear adhesive cover to it back in the 80's, early 80's for sure like 80 or 81.  I bought this new at the hobby store, the Game Keeper in Bangor, Maine.  I am not sure where to try to sell it, how much to ask or even what condition to call it, no writing in it, all of the pages are crisp, front and back cover in excellent shape, though covered with clear adhesive book covering. I know this can be removed by someone as we also used it on a letter from Ralph Waldo Emerson which was donated to his estate and they removed the clear covering somehow, but I doubt people will invest that type of money to remove a cover from a D and D module.  So any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Also while I am here I have some Ral Partha miniatures of Riders of Rohirrim and Orcs (look great with pig snouts) and I was wondering where I could get more? I've looked on ebay but have never seen any.  

Thank you for your time

Eric

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:22 pm 

Eric:

Please contact me about this. I am very interested. 608 332 7914 or [email protected]

Thanks!

Alex

Alex Kammer
Director Gamehole Con
www.gameholecon.com

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:49 pm 

Rizav wrote in Pharaoh Module by Daystar:Good Gaming All:

My two sons have recently started playing D and D and they got all my old stuff out of the boxes.  Lots of books, modules, miniatures and of course dice.  I don't think much is worth anything, either well used or fairly common.  I did some searches though and it looks as if the module Pharaoh by the Hickman's Daystar West might be worth something.  I did see where the Hickman's sold off some of their own old stock for outrageous prices but I wouldn't expect that for a module that has been used.  Also I applied a clear adhesive cover to it back in the 80's, early 80's for sure like 80 or 81.  I bought this new at the hobby store, the Game Keeper in Bangor, Maine.  I am not sure where to try to sell it, how much to ask or even what condition to call it, no writing in it, all of the pages are crisp, front and back cover in excellent shape, though covered with clear adhesive book covering. I know this can be removed by someone as we also used it on a letter from Ralph Waldo Emerson which was donated to his estate and they removed the clear covering somehow, but I doubt people will invest that type of money to remove a cover from a D and D module.  So any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Also while I am here I have some Ral Partha miniatures of Riders of Rohirrim and Orcs (look great with pig snouts) and I was wondering where I could get more? I've looked on ebay but have never seen any.  

Thank you for your time

Eric

That is normally a very rare and expensive item. Do not sell it quickly, at least do some research to come up with an idea for an asking price.

You should take photos and post them. Work out a fair deal on it before letting it go.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:12 pm 

You may have other hidden gems among your items, too---feel free to post some pictures of all of it and we'll help you to ID the nice stuff.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:50 am 

I will post some pictures, there is a ton of stuff in those boxes.  Lots of modules, lots of books, but the books are well worn except for newer editions that I picked up over the years to read how things changed.  There are a lot of dragon magazines, maybe 200?  Lots of Pegasus magazines, perhaps all that were printed?  Adventure Gaming magazines 1 through 15?  Some Empire of the Petal throne stuff.  There use to be all of the early D and D little pamphlets, Chainmail, etc but I do not see them in the boxes..lost in the moves over the years I think.  Some things are boxes within boxes so maybe I will come across them. There was even a Bunnies and Burroughs game but I do not see that either.  I will lay stuff out and grab some pictures.

Also if someone has the time, how do people usually sell things securely for both parties if not using ebay?  Or do you use ebay?

Eric

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:29 am 

I am looking for some Empire of the Petal Throne things. Specifically the TSR box set from the mid-70's

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:58 am 

I would like to advocate again for a selling sticky.  People keep asking the same, good question.   :?

benjoshua wrote in Worthless items.:
Mars wrote in Worthless items.:I'm kinda wondering what the point of this thread really is.  It doesn't seem very friendly for someone new to show up asking for help with an appraisal because they don't really know about this stuff and then point them towards the "Your collection is worthless" thread.  It sounds more like a reseller phishing thread.......

....I think it might be more productive if you take something of a better tone such as an FAQ on how best to sell your collection with some useful information.

I think Mars is on the right track here, and I think with some additional input we could provide a valuable service to anyone who wants to sell their collection.  I think arguing about which items are worthless or not will get us no where because value is subjective and changes over time. Having a link or sticky thread where solid advice is consolidated and summarized could limit repeating and re-finding relevant answers from the past.

Personally, I would vote for a sticky thread over an article linked to the home page for two reasons.  First, I suspect sellers will have follow-up questions, as I don't recommend the initial entry be exhaustive in its explanations.  Second, I think one of the points in this summary should be that there are a variety of venues where items can be sold, eg. Craigslist, eBay, RPG Marketplace, and these forums accompanied by their respective advantages and disadvantages.  And while sellers will likely choose other venues most of the time, it does reveal an option we'd all like to see more often; ie. people offering to us their collections for sale.  Sure, most of those collections are crap to refined collectors like us, but not all the time.  And, if you think selling items here offers few advantages, think again.  Our biggest strength is that we have buyers who offer one price for everything, but there are also sellers who want buyers who genuinely appreciate and treasure what they've bought, and we're great at that!   :geek:   So, a sticky thread like this could provide a valuable service AND occasionally steer sellers our way.  And, the more collections we buy, the less we have to roll our eyes at the inflated reselling prices of Noble Knight.   :lol:

I vote Mars be the chief editor of such a sticky thread and we give him input on what should be included and excluded.  Go Mars!  :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:55 pm 

Pictures would definitely help - generally a Daystar Pharaoh would be in the $1000-$1800 range but some people might ask for an outrageous price :)  A bit less depending on how damaged it really is.

I personally wouldn't try to pigeon hole it into a rating category, just show lots of pictures and describe the condition.  More times than not, (large and small) sellers use one of these rating classifications and completely ignore the descriptions of the categories when assigning the rating to their item.  This then leads to issues of trust.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:17 pm 

in my experience one large element of that distrust is because some sellers will describe products as near mint to pull buyers in and then will bury in the fine print "Near mint except for the cheeto stains". if there is a grade used at all, it should describe the totality of the item, including any faults. as an example, the NM cheeto stained item should be listed as: Very Good, would have been NM, but cheeto stains render it VG.

Shrink is not a condition

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:53 pm 

Here are three of the photos, I have not figured out how to add more or all as one file. I will add in clusters of three I guess.  I appreciate the feedback so far, I am trying to estimate the value and when I think I have a good number I will post it in the classified area...but I still would love people's thoughts, as far as I see it the people on this forum are the experts on this subject.

Eric

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:54 pm 

3 more

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:56 pm 

Last 3, I can take more if someone wants to see something that might help put a value on it.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:05 pm 

I do have some other things I can't really put a value on, so any help here as well would be great.  I have quite a few modules and I will list those in the classified section.  Are there any in particular from TSR that vary from the Acaeum's value list?

Thank you for your time,

Eric

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:33 pm 

I would suspect that the Acaeum values should be used as a guideline since some folks might have paid more and some might have paid less for a similar item.

Inferno should be a fairly popular JG item since it seems to be one of the harder ones to find.

The Empire of the Petal Throne has a couple copies which sold recently on ebay for $30 and $52 respective (see url below)

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:11 am 

you can get a sweet vintage photocopy of one from Capt. Lou for a song. it's only been sitting in his wire racks since 1987, bottom edge should be fine!

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:45 am 

:lol:

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:33 pm 

stahlnee wrote in Pharaoh Module by Daystar:I would suspect that the Acaeum values should be used as a guideline since some folks might have paid more and some might have paid less for a similar item.

Inferno should be a fairly popular JG item since it seems to be one of the harder ones to find.

The Empire of the Petal Throne has a couple copies which sold recently on ebay for $30 and $52 respective (see url below)

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

There are at least a few seriously out of date prices on the Acaeum list so I wouldn't recommend using it as more than a starting point for further research into pricing.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:37 pm 

Rizav wrote in Pharaoh Module by Daystar:Here are three of the photos, I have not figured out how to add more or all as one file. I will add in clusters of three I guess.  I appreciate the feedback so far, I am trying to estimate the value and when I think I have a good number I will post it in the classified area...but I still would love people's thoughts, as far as I see it the people on this forum are the experts on this subject.

Eric

Nice and Sweet pictures...

$$$$$$$

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord