I've got a D&D white box set, but what sort?
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:05 pm 

I picked up a white box set from my local retailer's used shelf recently, but I have absolutely no idea what print run it might be from.  I don't plan on selling it anyway, but it would be nice to know what it is I've got.

The box has all the contents (3 books + sheets) and it's in quite decent shape - no rips tears ect, very limited wear, although there are some dints and a small tear on the box (>1.5 cm, on a fold). From reading the forums the only id'ing characteristic is the OCE starburst on the box top.

What should I be looking for here?  Was it worth the $10 Cdn I paid for it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

(there was also a copy of Greyhawk Supplement 1 in the box, but I gather it doesn't belong there)

Thanks, Adam

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:14 pm 

I'd probably give ya $50 usd for it :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:37 pm 

It's a 6th print. The value is pretty subjective lately, but it is definitely worth at least $60 or so.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:07 pm 

You are right the Supplement Greyhawk is not a part of the original contents of the OCE White Box Set. Or any of the original box sets in fact.

I agree with the others as to the VERY subjective value of the OCE set. Unless the box and books are in mint or at least near mint $60 is all that I would put up for one, but they often seem to get $75, or even $100, for books near-mint and the box good to very good.

A Mint box and Mint books however, have gotten much higher prices on E-Bay in the past couple of years. I watched a shrink wrapped copy of the OCE go for over $225 about a year back.

The Greyhawk book (if not a True First Print) can get anywhere from $10 to $35, or even as much as $50, depending on condition and Printing number.