Store Shrinkwrap
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:27 pm 

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a collection (the >900 item collection that was posted here before), and several of the items within are shrinkwrapped, but clearly in used condition. They have bookstore stickers over the UPC codes, all from Powell's books in Portland. Some of them are in amazing shape and even look like they are still brand new, others not so much.

Is there any reason at all for me to keep the shrinkwrap on them? I'm guessing not, but figured I'd ask before I pulled it off. I figure only the original shrinkwrap is valuable.

Cheers,

Richard

PS. Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum! Didn't pertain to any particular item, but does pertain to appraisals, so I did a best guess :D

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:45 am 

Post-production shrinkwrap does not add to the value, and can actually detract from it (it's often regarded as a shady practice, especially if anyone along the chain ever tried to pass these off as New).  And as far as protection goes, it's much better to put the module in an acid-free poly bag with a cardboard backer.

So, yes, I'd take the shrinkwrap off of these.  :)

Foul

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:50 am 

FoulFoot wrote in Store Shrinkwrap:Post-production shrinkwrap does not add to the value, and can actually detract from it (it's often regarded as a shady practice, especially if anyone along the chain ever tried to pass these off as New).  And as far as protection goes, it's much better to put the module in an acid-free poly bag with a cardboard backer.

So, yes, I'd take the shrinkwrap off of these.  :)

Foul

Good advice  :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:07 pm 

Thanks both of you! That's what I suspected, but thought there may be some reason that I couldn't see to keep the shrink on. On the plus side, opening them kind of feels like I just got a brand new item :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:05 pm 

The shrink is a good idea for the store because it prevents things deteriorating further from passing trade, and it allows them to price sticker things without damaging the books. But for long term storage take the advice above. Selling shrinkwrapped clearly second hand stuff on eBay for example could seriously compromise your sale price. It is viewed with suspicion and in some cases has been used to disguise dishonesty. Some of the big name resellers have been guilty on this.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.