Book Collection
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:34 pm 

Hello. I recently got this large collection of books. I know basically nothing of book value, and just know the basics of the mechanics of d&d in general. So. I was hoping for some advice on the value(if any), on the books in this collection. From what I can tell everything says 2nd edition. Thanks for any help.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:08 am 

Well there is no one amazing fine in this group. But there are some nice bits. But always depends on condition and how complete the pieces are. The under mountain one and two, the north, tomb of horrors, ruins of myth dranor and menzoberranzan often can fetch 25-40$ each. Depending on the overall shap. Dragon mountain seems to get a good price now and then. But I'm not as familiar with it.

Please note the price always depends on who has seen it so list it well. I've seem these sometimes go for silly prices 50-70$ (not typically though) and sometimes go for under 10$. So if selling be prepared for market flux.

Good luck.

Peter Green

It isn't easy being Green

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 am 

Sweet4serpents wrote in Book Collection:Hello. I recently got this large collection of books. I know basically nothing of book value, and just know the basics of the mechanics of d&d in general. So. I was hoping for some advice on the value(if any), on the books in this collection. From what I can tell everything says 2nd edition. Thanks for any help.

You will have to make sure each set is complete and check the condition of components if you are looking to sell them. You can get an idea of selling price by checking ebay for each title and see what they have sold for and what people are asking for each one in a similar condition to the ones you have. Box sets can be a bit of work.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:48 am 

JasonZavoda wrote in Book Collection:
Sweet4serpents wrote in Book Collection:Hello. I recently got this large collection of books. I know basically nothing of book value, and just know the basics of the mechanics of d&d in general. So. I was hoping for some advice on the value(if any), on the books in this collection. From what I can tell everything says 2nd edition. Thanks for any help.

You will have to make sure each set is complete and check the condition of components if you are looking to sell them. You can get an idea of selling price by checking ebay for each title and see what they have sold for and what people are asking for each one in a similar condition to the ones you have. Box sets can be a bit of work.

As Jason said at first you have to make sure the sets are complete.  Usually the contents are on the back cover of the box, also maps and such inside should have the product number someplace (which you can match up with the box itself) if you aren't sure about a particular map.  There are also websites that list the contents of boxed sets. Good luck there are some good items there but as Jason said they are a bit of work.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:54 pm 

Restating what has already been said, selling box sets can be tricky if they are incomplete (or worse, listed as complete when not!).  Shipping is a killer with these items.

Pay particular attention to the Red Steel and Karamiekos sets for the CD (often missing).

The Forgotten Realms City System often is missing a few cutouts/maps.  Night Below has tons of parts so really check that one out.

The North, if complete, will likely be your best seller as it often sells for good prices if in nice condition.  The Tomb of Horrors, Spellbound, and the Night Below are good ones too.

The Spelljammer box sets may be hard to get rid of, with the Elminster's Ecologies box a close second (who wants 7 books on the FR ecology?)  ;-)

Good luck to you!

~throwi

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:02 pm 

throwi wrote in Book Collection:Restating what has already been said, selling box sets can be tricky if they are incomplete (or worse, listed as complete when not!).  Shipping is a killer with these items.

Pay particular attention to the Red Steel and Karamiekos sets for the CD (often missing).

The Forgotten Realms City System often is missing a few cutouts/maps.  Night Below has tons of parts so really check that one out.

The North, if complete, will likely be your best seller as it often sells for good prices if in nice condition.  The Tomb of Horrors, Spellbound, and the Night Below are good ones too.

The Spelljammer box sets may be hard to get rid of, with the Elminster's Ecologies box a close second (who wants 7 books on the FR ecology?)  ;-)

Good luck to you!

~throwi

Did Night Below have the cut out pieces? I know some did (Spelljammer had ships you cut-out I think).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:43 pm 

throwi wrote in Book Collection:Restating what has already been said, selling box sets can be tricky if they are incomplete (or worse, listed as complete when not!).  Shipping is a killer with these items.

Good luck to you!

~throwi

Did Night Below have the cut out pieces? I know some did (Spelljammer had ships you cut-out I think).

No cut outs, just lots of materials:  3 books, 16 hand out sheets, 8 reference cards, 6 maps and a mini booklet.  Only 1 of my 3 copies is complete (thanks Doug!).

~throwi

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:03 pm 

throwi wrote in Book Collection:

No cut outs, just lots of materials:  3 books, 16 hand out sheets, 8 reference cards, 6 maps and a mini booklet.  Only 1 of my 3 copies is complete (thanks Doug!).

~throwi

I just checked on google and it looks like Night Below did have at least one cut out sheet. A aboleth, some little figures of monsters and such, maybe a second sheet with some dungeon overlays.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:46 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote in Book Collection:I just checked on google and it looks like Night Below did have at least one cut out sheet. A aboleth, some little figures of monsters and such, maybe a second sheet with some dungeon overlays.

This is what's in my set, which IIRC I bought new BITD:

- Night Below books I-III
- New monsters booklet (stapled paper, no cover)
- 3 poster maps (on really terrible quality paper)
- 8 cardstock sheets, labelled 1125 Card 1-8 (except for #2, the maps, which is not numbered or labelled at all in terms of stock/sheet #s); sheets 7 and 8 look like counters without any borders---like they're designed to be cut out and used on a battlemat; some of these are also new monsters, just to keep the DM guessing, and one side of the #2 sheet is actually a player's map (again, just to keep the DM guessing ;) )
- 16 loose paper sheets (on really terrible paper):  players handouts

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:28 am 

I stand corrected, the last 2 card sheets are cut-outs.  Either way, there's a good chance something gets misplaced with a set like this - still hard to find complete for a good price.

~throwi

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:47 am 

throwi wrote in Book Collection:I stand corrected, the last 2 card sheets are cut-outs.  Either way, there's a good chance something gets misplaced with a set like this - still hard to find complete for a good price.

~throwi

I remember the Gates of Firestorm peak had the same kind of cutouts but without the benefit of coming in a box.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:58 pm 

Got another box of stuff today that looks like they go to various box sets from the first collection. So i might end up with multiple complete sets :)