The Fantastic Worlds Of Grenadier by Terence Gunn
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:10 am 

Anyone know anything about this book?  It doesn't list on Amazon, so I'm guessing that it's a very small press and/or privately printed???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:03 am 

I say neither. The seller says it is the first of its kind, and it has to be post-1995. I'll have my wife check at work and see if it's a current print. I imagine it is.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:46 pm 

Since there is a qty of 10 listed in the auction, I woud assume that it is the author that is listing them on ebay.  It is inexpensive to self publish a book now days but unless he went to the effort of getting ISBNs it will not be on any books-in-print list.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:38 pm 

A great book for Grenadier fans

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:30 pm 

Thanks for the pointers and info folks.  

Sotterraneo, now that you've had the book for a little while, do you have any further thoughts you could share about it?

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:44 am 

I just bought one of these (present to myself maybe?)  I will see how it looks, my wife is a big miniature painter/fan! :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:23 am 

grodog wrote:Thanks for the pointers and info folks.  

Sotterraneo, now that you've had the book for a little while, do you have any further thoughts you could share about it?

The book is very well made, in my opinion. Even if you aren't that big fan of Grenadier's work, it's a fascinating look at a great company and the golden age of RPGs.  I'd have liked more extensive interviews, especially to Andy Chermak, and some more photos, but I recommend the book to all the oldies like me  :P

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:40 am 

Thanks for the kind words, Sotterraneo.  

To answer some of the questions regarding the book (by the way, I'm the author: Terence Gunn), the book is indeed a new book (only been available for a couple months), is self-published and distributed, and is only available to purchase on eBay or at nobleknight.com. I simply cannot afford to sell the book on Amazon.com or any other place that requires a merchant's licence or money up front. Nobody backed me or commissioned me on this book, and I had no assistance - financial or otherwise; I did everything on my own, including paying for the printing up front out of my own pocket. I've never worked in the gaming field, nor ever worked for Grenadier Models. I simply took it upon myself to write a book about this incredible company, as I love and grew up with this company's work, and I felt such an honourary tribute was well overdue to Chernak, Rubin, Dennett and all the rest.

As far as quality of the book, I'm very pleased with the way it turned out, as it would seem, are all who purchased it. I've sold nearly 50 books in the last few months with no marketing whatsoever. I'm certainly not making much money (more like making money back), but I've made enough back and gotten such good reviews and comments as to make the year it took for me to research, buy, and put everything together all worth while. For a sneak peek at the book you may find it listed in the customer display section at instantpublisher.com. I know it's not the same as the physical article, but this will give you an example, as well as - hopefully - whet your apetite.

I agree most strongly with Sotterraneo's comment about the book appealing to non-Grenadier fans, as well. If you are a gamer who, like myself, started gaming and collecting in the late 1970s, you will find this book to be of interest on many RPG-related levels, informative and nostalgic. Andrew Chernak (Grenadier's co-founder and President) told me - after reading the book - how the book took him back to those 'Golden Years Of Gaming' on many levels, as well; that the book was more than a collector's guide to Grenadier Models' products.

I should also mention that the supplemental CD (PDF) that comes with the book, and which was previously 22 pages, is now 43 pages, and contains some really terrific photos, ads, etc. that were recently sent to me by Andrew Chernak, and which I had to scan and manipulate and edit, etc. (I'll be happy to send you out the new edition of the CD, Sotterraneo, if you like. Let me know.).

In any case, feel free any of you to email me with any questions, etc. at [email protected]. I'm a humble gamer and collector, much like anyone else, and love talking about and on the subject thereof.

Cheers.

-arkhamhouse101 (Terence Gunn)
The Fantastic Worlds Of Grenadier

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:41 pm 

Just got this book in the mail today and I have to give it a big, public thumbs up!  If you're a Grenadier fan then it is a must have and well worth the money.  Here's hoping someone does something similar for Ral Partha, and even others such as Heritage, Citadel, Minifigs, etc.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:25 am 

OK, folks, for those of you who own copies of this book, I'd like a little quick assistance if I may:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 64198&rd=1

lists as a Grenadier dark elf, and the seller has two more figures at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 67063&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 69831&rd=1

My concerns:  a) I don't recognize them and I thought that I bought all of the drow that Greandier had published, b) they sure don't look like any of the Grenadier drow I do own, and c) the figures look more like pewter than lead to me, but that's obviously hard to tell from a picture :D

So, can anyone validate those figures as Grenadiers and perhaps provide some more details about the sets they're from???

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:17 am 

They don't look like any Grenadier Drow Elves that I know of.  Did you ask the seller to check the bottom of the bases?  Grenadier usually stamped the bottom with their name.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:46 am 

Bringing this old thread back to life.  I have found Terence Gunn and ordered the pdf CD from him.  If anyone else happens to be looking for a copy, send me a PM and I will give you his email address.  $12 was the cost, btw.  I am hoping it will help me identify a slew of minis I have, plus learn about this company.  I think the quality of their work is among the best of the mini manufacturers.

You can find a review here:  [TMP] "Review: Fantastic Worlds of Grenadier" Topic

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:12 am 

Terrence's book is a wonderful resource that I'd like to see in print again, someday....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:23 pm 

grodog wrote:Terrence's book is a wonderful resource that I'd like to see in print again, someday....

I know what you mean.  I got in contact with him about six months ago and he didn't have any of the print versions left.  I purchased the pdf version of course, but I still prefer having a tangible book.

Mike.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:29 am 

Terence's book is truly a great work of love and it was inspirational to produce Mondi Eroici. I really treasure it and I hope he will reprint (and perhaps expand  8) ) this fine work!

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:44 am 

Hi all,

has anyone got Terence's up-to-date email address or is willing to sell me their PDF copy? The two emails I can find for Terence - the one above and the one on Wikipedia both bounce - [email protected] and [email protected]

On the grounds that I've got several kilos of Grenadier (and others) figures to sell I wanted to get the catalogue to enhance the descriptions I'm going to put on eBay.

Anyone in touch with him? Are you still here, Terence?

cheers,

Simon Taylor

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:32 pm 

Sent you a pm, Simon. Anyone else needing Terrence's email, let me know.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:32 pm 

lucyjoyce wrote:Sent you a pm, Simon. Anyone else needing Terrence's email, let me know.

Hi Lucy,
I wanted to get in touch to see if you still had Terrence's email and whether or not he was still producing the book. Thanks for your help!  :)

-Clay

Next