Legacy by David A. Feldt (1978) Legacy Press
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:21 pm 

So, I found a copy of this looseleaf RPG from Legacy Press and it is.... definitely an artifact from the early era of RPGs. Indeed, according to the cover blurb, it's not even a roleplaying game but, rather, a "second generation, multi-level role assumption game". I've not actually read it thoroughly yet as I just picked it up tonight, but there is some exposition near the back of the book that refers to other early RPGs such as The Empire of the Petal Throne. As for condition....

On one hand, it has some condition issues (yellowed pages, minor staining, worn edges and corners) but, on the other hand, for a looseleaf game bound only with a metal prong fastener, I imagine it's in fairly good shape given its age. Attached is a (somewhat blurry) image of the cover. Apologies for the image issues - my hands shake and my camera phone isn't the best. Also, what appear to be extremely curled pages in the book are actually photocopies of forms that I neglected to remove before taking the picture. D'oh! And that's a Man, Myth, and Magic box set that it is laying atop.

So.... any guess what this may be worth to a collector of very early RPGs?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:24 am 

how much rust is under the metal fastener on the left side?

Shrink is not a condition

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:02 am 

I just checked. The answer is, unfortunately, a lot. Not quite a solid strip, but nearly. It is confined squarely under the clip, though, so you can't see it until you undo the fastener and remove it.

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:41 am 

Do you have the 4 green and 4 yellow (or orange) cardstock cards that also came with the book and is there a transparency page (around page 142) still in the book?

Surprisingly this one seems to have been fairly mass produced as is not terribly difficult to find.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:49 am 

It contains the transparency, but not the cards.

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:33 am 

I sold a copy on eBay three years ago and only got $20.50 for it. Mine was missing the transparency and the metal strip but had all but one of the cards.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:22 pm 

Honestly, $20 would be a decent return on my investment. :)

Sincerely,
James D. Hargrove

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:50 am 

I remember reading about it in very first issues of (most wonderful) Different Worlds magazine. I'd happily pay $ 20 for a copy of this antique :D