Worthless items.
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:13 pm 

There are some places that could take them.  I see Gaming clubs at colleges out here on sort of a resurgence and there is a use for the newer gaming education centers at universities that are starting to pop up.  These places often don't have a lot of role playing materials and are heavier into video games but they certainly have traditional game players and there is educational and design value in the materials for the gaming education centers. A new game club just started here at Temple last semester and I am on a campus wide faculty and staff group that is trying to get a game education center going here.  We are not the only ones getting these things moving.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:00 pm 

ExTSR wrote in Worthless items.:It would be great if folks could be encouraged to donate their low-value game products.

But to whom? Most stores have folded, few clubs remain...

And I fear that if donations were promoted, the end result would be shelves of worn 2e and d20 products, all heavily overproduced.

F

ps: the very title of the thread sneers at the topic, whatever the words within. :/

I don't see gaming clubs like I used to....most often when I do, they are at private schools or religious schools (ironically).  

There are a few guys that attend NTRPG con that run or are involved in gaming clubs at their schools...but I think they are mostly in the market for board or card games.  I bet, however, they would like any sort of gaming donation including RPGs.  I have donated a lot of Judges Guild stuff (surprise, surprise) to them as well as the MERP CCG stuff mentioned above.  

Another thought:  smaller conventions are always looking for items they can use for raffle or auction sales. A pile of common Dragon mags, which are worth virtually nothing, might net the convention a nice little donation that helps with operating costs.  I know my buddy Dale Donahoo at MagCon in Houston is always looking for items, doing a little research and finding small local cons in the area could help spread the more common items around.

Nesbit, PM me, if you want I can send you a "care package" of some Judges guild goodies for your game club or education center...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:08 pm 

I find this thread rather intriguing, mostly because it is all over the place.

While I believe I understand the original intent of thread, I always find it interesting to see the input of collectors and resellers, each with their own view of the RPG world.

There are aspects of "worth" that can be missed if you view this as super-collector or reseller only.   Even when people feel an item is "worthless", they are purchased for nostalgia, playability or for parts.  Everything has value to the right person.  Sure, it may be a waste of time for resellers to list and sell an item which had tens of thousands in a print run, but somebody is probably going to be looking at it at some point.

Hey, I'm not a super collector nor am I reseller (and I really doubt I could make a living selling this stuff) but speaking as a person who enjoys writing, playing, and GMing RPGs, I buy books because I love the games, art, and recalling those days of old.  Often, I could care less if it's worth more or less next year.

I'm sure I'll be smacked for adding my 2 cents but sometimes, members of this group try to make things so very black and white when it's awfully grey.  This reminds me of the Reaper Bones derailment thread too.

~throwi

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:46 am 

Hi folks. I'm back here from ages long - maybe someone will remember me still.
To everyone of them, hey! To the ones who came in here later, hey!  8)

We are discussing about a term. And I agree - we are talking of monetary value here, and not worth.
However, I do concur with the main theme of the discussions: there is lots of material that has no monetary value, especially because of poor condition and/or great amount of prints issued - and still have a tremendous playing/inspiration value.

Let's just be clear about which kind of "value" we are talking about.

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

Last edited by rosenkav on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
 YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:56 am 

rosenkav wrote in Worthless items.:We are discussing about a term. And I agree - we are talking of monetary value here, and not worth.
However, I do concur with the main theme of the discussions: there is lots of material that has no monetary value, especially because of poor condition and/or great amount of prints issued - and still have a tremendous playing/inspiration value.

Let's just clear about which kind of "value" we are talking about.

Nicely summarized.  I just hope we can turn this discussion into something productive.

benjoshua wrote in Worthless items.:So, a sticky thread like this could provide a valuable service AND occasionally steer sellers our way......
I vote Mars be the chief editor of such a sticky thread and we give him input on what should be included and excluded.  Go Mars!  :)

Badmike wrote in Worthless items.:.......I like a sticky thread on the subject. Especially educating people on the quality (condition) of items vis a vis value.  The same thing in comics, some guy thinks he has a gold mine until you point out all his 60s comics are dirty, dog-eared and colored in.  In general an item missing the poster map, with highlighting and massive spine wear is relatively valueless for resale purposes, it would be good to have a place to have that stated explicitly.

Mike B.

Of course, it is fun arguing about what's "worthless" or worthwhile.   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Previous