Worthless items.
Author

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:04 am 

I was thinking about all the various collections and new collectors that come here for appraisals and rather than saying the same things over and over it would be easier to keep a list of published items that are generally worthless. Dragon Magazine for example. A #1 issue in most conditions has worth ($) but where do they become worthless. The hardest thing I find with selling individual Dragon Mags is shipping cost and condition.

I'd say you can sell Dragon #1-20 complete with cover in any condition outside of mold, mustiness, water wrinkled or badly stained or spattered will have value. Missing games and modules would bring down the saleability of #11-20 considerably, but perhaps not to worthlessness. Incomplete issues #21 and over drop down fairly low in my experience and start reaching worthlessness before you hit issue #30.  Once you hit issue #40 even complete copies that are not in excellent condition are pretty much worthless. I don't know of any issues except the last print copy (can't remember the # offhand) that aren't generally worthless.

Dungeon Magazine is the same but only issues #1-6 and a few later issues seem to have any value if the condition is off and later issues were bagged as well as including insert material. I haven't been following ebay lately and wondered if this is reflected in current sales. Anyone have a list of the Dungeon Mag issues with relative worth?

The same thing applies to most TSR sets, modules and supplements, some just have so little worth that copies with writing, marks, damage or missing components make them worthless.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:22 am 

The situation with later Dragons isn't quite as hopeless as it has been sometimes in the recent past but yes, it does generally require better condition as well as some luck. Never did recover after the Dragon magazine archive "went public", IMHO...
Checking through recent sales, my eye was also caught by that taken $49.99 BIN for "best of" 1-5.
Mostly low prices otherwise but still a few more individual $6-8 sales for late numbers than might've been expected?

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:26 am 

JasonZavoda wrote in Worthless items.:The same thing applies to most TSR sets, modules and supplements, some just have so little worth that copies with writing, marks, damage or missing components make them worthless.

*g* Which reminds me; some people do seem to be able to get some money for (still playable) "dartboards";

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Beats the embarrassment of dropping them off at the charity shop in secret, given that condition, I guess? :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:41 am 

Low Value items (or items not really worth your ability or time to sell, just put them in a huge lot on ebay and take whatever the final bid is):

Dragon mags 80-350

Dungeon Mags 30-60

Polyhedrons 51-115

Spellfire cards

AD&D Collector cards

Dragonlance 5th Age

Birthright items (in general)

Spelljammer items (in general)

Al Qadim items

These are the kind of items when I'm evaluating a collection I just sort of toss aside and don't worry about....

Also, in general incomplete items (missing maps, handouts, inserts, etc) I personally consider valueless and wouldn't sell for over a few dollars unless it is of historical significance.  The same with condition, anything "marked" (markings, tears, etc) is pretty much not worth a collector's time.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:20 am 

Badmike wrote in Worthless items.:Worthless items (or items not really worth your ability or time to sell, just put them in a huge lot on ebay and take whatever the final bid is):

Dragon mags 80-350

Dungeon Mags 30-60

Polyhedrons 51-115

Spellfire cards

AD&D Collector cards

Dragonlance 5th Age

Birthright items (in general)

Spelljammer items (in general)

Al Qadim items

These are the kind of items when I'm evaluating a collection I just sort of toss aside and don't worry about....

Also, in general incomplete items (missing maps, handouts, inserts, etc) I personally consider worthless and wouldn't sell for over a few dollars unless it is of historical significance.  The same with condition, anything "marked" (markings, tears, etc) is pretty much not worth a collector's time.

Mike B.

This is a good primer for people asking the value of their collections. I want to work up something more specific, especially for TSR modules since they are the most common. At a glance people can get a good estimate of which items are worth putting in a bulk sale and which to check for some actual value. As pointed out, even the junk items can fetch something, but is it worth the trouble when they get below a couple of bucks each?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:32 pm 

Hi,

actually, some Spellfire cards are NOT "worthless".

Like modules, it depends on the individual card....

Cheers,
Karen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:56 pm 

Versimilitude wrote in Worthless items.:Hi,

actually, some Spellfire cards are NOT "worthless".

Like modules, it depends on the individual card....

Cheers,
Karen

I should have put "in general" there.  Just like there are a few Dragon dice here and there worth your time.  But in general when someone dumps a huge pileof Spellfire cards there aren't any chase or special cards there.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:04 pm 

The only "worthless items" to me are the ones that are in terrible shape and/or incomplete.  I believe labeling anything (even the mid range Dragons) as worthless is prejudicial and not really good for the community.  The so called worthless items include many great items, loads of worthwhile reading and tons interesting ideas etc.  

Think Birthright is worthless?  Well go pick up a box set (its worthless value will run you $30-$50), read it and play it. Birthright is a great setting with cool ideas, well fleshed out and awesome to play.  Same goes for Spelljammer and Al Qadim (not sure about DL 5th age).

Instead of labelling these items as worthless and promoting this to the gaming/collecting community we should be focusing on the opposite; finding its worth!!

This is a collecting community, not a board of dealers and speculators.  Lets find a way to encourage people to collect these off the wall settings and find out the good parts about it all. This list Jason has suggested is a bad idea, completely the wrong focus.  :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:47 pm 

I am sort of in the middle on this topic.
Agree with some of Blackmoors points, but at the same time I totally understood the other points of view as well.
In many aspects; Worthiness is a matter of opinion and to a great extent each individuals personal preferences.
Few things are truly worthless IMO, other than water damaged, mildew, stinking of smoke, etc... which are to me of no worth.... Trash....
Only once (in my recollection) did I sell anything like that (mildew smell) and that was an honest mistake on my part, which I remedied by returning the funds and trashing the offending item.

But no one can deny the relative low value of the later Dragon issues.... almost no one hunts those down and damaged copies would be nearly impossible to sell.

I happen to truly love and collect almost all things from the old School Fantasy RPGs.
Especially from the Older Fantasy related TSR and Judges Guild product lines and I am a fool for T&T as well.
Loved the recent Castles and Crusades line when they first came out and Goodman's Dungeon Crawl Classics as well (3rd + Edition, not 4th).

Yet I turn my eyes away from and my money never goes to items that are Al Qadim, Dragonlance (Any age) and Spelljammer related.
Never liked any of the card games, like Magic and Spellfire.
Never was interested in Dragon Dice and never will be.
Don't even try to collect Birthright/Harn/CoC/Pathfinder/4th Edition and may other settings and RPGs.

Not because they are worthless, just not interested.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:38 pm 

Blackmoor wrote in Worthless items.:The only "worthless items" to me are the ones that are in terrible shape and/or incomplete.  I believe labeling anything (even the mid range Dragons) as worthless is prejudicial and not really good for the community.  The so called worthless items include many great items, loads of worthwhile reading and tons interesting ideas etc.  

Think Birthright is worthless?  Well go pick up a box set (its worthless value will run you $30-$50), read it and play it. Birthright is a great setting with cool ideas, well fleshed out and awesome to play.  Same goes for Spelljammer and Al Qadim (not sure about DL 5th age).

Instead of labelling these items as worthless and promoting this to the gaming/collecting community we should be focusing on the opposite; finding its worth!!

This is a collecting community, not a board of dealers and speculators.  Lets find a way to encourage people to collect these off the wall settings and find out the good parts about it all. This list Jason has suggested is a bad idea, completely the wrong focus.  :)

What a load of crap.

People post here looking for $ value. The various valuation boards are solely about $ value. I'm just tired of seeing huge collection lists that people post with tons of common material that effectively have no individual $ value. Most of the material published by TSR is worthless in played condition in these terms. Ravenloft, Spelljammer, Al Qadim almost completely. Birthright has a few items. Dragon mags are almost entirely worthless and it does nothing to promote collecting to say differently to small time collectors and people trying to find out $ value of their collections. Not everyone has the money to be a big time super rare collector and the money they have shouldn't be thrown away unnecessarily on overpriced common items when they could be looking for a few bargains for items that are generally more expensive and harder to find.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:18 pm 

JasonZavoda wrote in Worthless items.:
Blackmoor wrote in Worthless items.:The only "worthless items" to me are the ones that are in terrible shape and/or incomplete.  I believe labeling anything (even the mid range Dragons) as worthless is prejudicial and not really good for the community.  The so called worthless items include many great items, loads of worthwhile reading and tons interesting ideas etc.  

What a load of crap.

People post here looking for $ value. The various valuation boards are solely about $ value. I'm just tired of seeing huge collection lists that people post with tons of common material that effectively have no individual $ value. Most of the material published by TSR is worthless in played condition in these terms. Ravenloft, Spelljammer, Al Qadim almost completely. Birthright has a few items. Dragon mags are almost entirely worthless and it does nothing to promote collecting to say differently to small time collectors and people trying to find out $ value of their collections. Not everyone has the money to be a big time super rare collector and the money they have shouldn't be thrown away unnecessarily on overpriced common items when they could be looking for a few bargains for items that are generally more expensive and harder to find.

Interesting comment LOL

You don't get what I am trying to say, your crap list your working on is stupid and subjective.  I will not comment further on this!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:42 pm 

Blackmoor wrote in Worthless items.:
JasonZavoda wrote in Worthless items.:

What a load of crap.

Interesting comment LOL

You don't get what I am trying to say, your crap list your working on is stupid and subjective.  I will not comment further on this!

Well, no. Quality values are subjective. The dollar value is based on what people are actually paying on ebay. I understand what you are saying, I just think it is your subjective opinion and that you are full of crap.

Working on the $ valuation of rare items is simply the otherside of the coin to working on a list of items that have a relatively nill $ value.

I'd say an item is generally worthless if it cannot be sold on ebay for $5 or greater, especially since the ebay sale price isn't what you actually receive. There is the ebay fee, the paypal fee, the cost of packaging, transportation and time spent. This isn't to say that you can't sell these items in bulk, but even then the cost of shipping can make even bulk sales of something like Dragon mags worthless. Bulk sales also tend to appeal to retailers so the prices paid are usually wholesale prices.

I think it would be helpful to collectors wanting to buy a bulk lot on ebay in order to grab a few items and resell the rest to be able to see quickly what is the wheat and what is the chaff. Or someone with a collection trying to get a quick idea of the $ value of the collection. I plan on using ebay as a pricing guide for this so I can't see how this would be subjective. For the quality of modules, supplements, world settings, etc... I'd suggest posting critical reviews. With this thread I am just talking about cash appraisals.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:54 pm 

There is no doubt some great gaming material here; Birthright has some good stuff, especially the domain books; I think Al-Qadim is actually a terrific setting.  IMO there are very few Dragon magazines (maybe some in the 150-210 range) that are absolutely of no use whatsoever.  But as for resell value or cash worth, it is indisputable that some of the items listed and essentially not worth your time to resell or make money off of...I say that as someone who has sold items on Ebay since 1998 and on the internet since 1992.  

The application of "worthless" is perhaps overstated. Perhaps "valueless"?  Indeed unless you get it virtually for free it is nearly impossible to make money of these items listed. As for play value, it's totally subjective....there is very little published I think with zero value.  The point of the list isn't to denigrate the play value of the material at all.

This list is merely something for the passers-by to this website that want to know what their collection of mid-range Dragon magazines is worth....maybe a few bucks each, but impossible to make much of a profit on and if you are out of gaming, something not worth hangind onto unless you enjoy flipping through a mag or two for nostalgia's sake.  Donate them to a gaming club or someone getting into gaming, I say.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:28 pm 

I am also in the camp that thinks most old D&D/AD&D material can be of worth. Even partial pieces of modules can be useful or interesting (monsters? maps?). As to cash value, again, it is true that many of the most common pieces can be bought cheap (although there can be surprising variation in auctions!). Maybe an Acaeum statement could go on the indices which gives a general figure for more much of the common 1st ed and also 2nd edition stuff (esp since we don't really cover that)?

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:22 pm 

I'm kinda wondering what the point of this thread really is.  It doesn't seem very friendly for someone new to show up asking for help with an appraisal because they don't really know about this stuff and then point them towards the "Your collection is worthless" thread.  It sounds more like a reseller phishing thread.

I don't think you can really even get any meaningful consensus out it.  So far, there are claims of Dragon magazines above #20 are worthless or not worth your time - I remember a discussion not so long ago where you argued the exact opposite of this - you could sell issues up to 50 or 60 for $8-10 each.  I guess the market has softened.

Apparently Birthright is worthless but the campaign setting seem to be regularly selling in the $40-$90 range for ones in good-excellent shape and the other boxed sets usually do well too.  If you are going to set a benchmark of items under $5, I think selling a collection of the Player's Secrets for $5 each is not a difficult thing either.

I think it might be more productive if you take something of a better tone such as an FAQ on how best to sell your collection with some useful information.

1.  I have a stack of Dragon magazines, are they worth anything?
* Early Dragon magazines (under issue 30) have some value and are usually not difficult to sell
* Issues over 50 or 60 are generally very difficult to sell and do not sell for much.  Many collectors, only need a few specific issues to fill in holes (in their collections) and these magazines are heavy so the shipping is prohibitive.
* Issues over #274 are D20 based and a bit easier to sell
* Selling Strategy:  Try listing them Kijiji or Craigslist to sell them locally - sold as a lot for $0.75-$1.00 each

2. I have a stack of used & worn D&D modules, are they worth anything?
* Some modules are rare and can be worth some money in almost any condition; however, most modules were mass produced and are easily obtainable in good condition or better - you can scan through the module valuations here on the Acaeum to see if any of your items stand out.
* When determining value, condition plays a huge role in determining value.  It is still possible to find these items new in factory shrinkwrap so if you find yourself thinking "they are in good shape for their age", they probably aren't.
* Many D&D items came with loose parts such as a foldout map or poster or cardboard counters.  Module booklets often also contain perforated pages that were intended to be removed (containing player maps, pre-rolled characters, etc).  If you are going to sell your item you should determine if all the parts are there or not.
* Things to evaluate for condition: creases and wear, rust on the staples, are any of the maps or player aids detached? (are they included?), is there writing in the book (pen or pencil), highlighting, tape, etc.
* Most modules that show lots of wear or have any serious condition problems or are incomplete are generally not worth much and are not collectible but someone is probably willing to pay a few dollars to use it as a playing copy.

3.  What's my Birthright collection worth?
* TSR produced a lot of products for 2nd Edition and most were mass produced so copies are readily available.
* The Birthright Campaign Setting box (3100) and the other slim box sets have some good value
* Most of the Player's Secret book of ... were mass produced and are not difficult to find in new condition - many sell for under $10
* The exception is Player's Secrets of Hogunmark that was sent out exclusively to RPGA members with issue #130 of Polyhedron magazine - this sells for $50+

4.  What Campaign settings are worth the most?
* Planescape sells very well
* Greyhawk is the original campaign setting and still has a large number of followers
* Forgotten Realms has the most items produced but they produced a lot so many of these items can be difficult to sell.
* Dark Sun was revived for 4th edition D&D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:33 pm 

As a prolific consumer with an incurable lust for FRPG, I wanted to say that I actually concur with both Blackmoor (Tom? IIRC) and Jason   PDT_Armataz_01_05

Not trying to be Solomon here, but since this is the Collecting Appraisal section of the form, I can understand Jason's desire to provide information regarding "market value". I also feel that if a static post showing what items "generally" have value's under $5 were to be posted, it should clearly communicate that this solely reflecting market value and not collector/hobby/psychotic value (just a little humor there). This data would be extremely helpful to people who come to this site looking to find out what the value is from an estate or just recent fun find, hopefully the latter.

The Acaeum site itself contains the values for 100's of items in all of their potential conditions, so why not have a thread here or at least an explanation of value in the Periodicals section for those issue that are not listed ... or why not just list all the issues with values. BTW, there is a later run of Dragon/Dungeon that came with Greyhawk maps, those go for way more than $5 and also the "Majure" or something like that series. Maybe the post here just needs to have a general point that the "market value" of items varies depending on whether they are a small print run module (Wee Warriors) vs a more recent periodical like Dragon and then point them to the sections of the Modules, Periodicals, Rares, etc.

Just my 2 cents ... now I will be  :silent:

"Okay, we turn the corner and see a Purple 'WHAT' !?!" . . (the DM rolls a 20 or so he says) . . It all went black right after that.

[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:02 pm 

Mars wrote in Worthless items.:I think it might be more productive if you take something of a better tone such as an FAQ on how best to sell your collection with some useful information.

1.  I have a stack of Dragon magazines, are they worth anything?
* Early Dragon magazines (under issue 30) have some value and are usually not difficult to sell
* Issues over 50 or 60 are generally very difficult to sell and do not sell for much.  Many collectors, only need a few specific issues to fill in holes (in their collections) and these magazines are heavy so the shipping is prohibitive.
* Issues over #274 are D20 based and a bit easier to sell
* Selling Strategy:  Try listing them Kijiji or Craigslist to sell them locally - sold as a lot for $0.75-$1.00 each

2. I have a stack of used & worn D&D modules, are they worth anything?
* Some modules are rare and can be worth some money in almost any condition; however, most modules were mass produced and are easily obtainable in good condition or better - you can scan through the module valuations here on the Acaeum to see if any of your items stand out.
* When determining value, condition plays a huge role in determining value.  It is still possible to find these items new in factory shrinkwrap so if you find yourself thinking "they are in good shape for their age", they probably aren't.
* Many D&D items came with loose parts such as a foldout map or poster or cardboard counters.  Module booklets often also contain perforated pages that were intended to be removed (containing player maps, pre-rolled characters, etc).  If you are going to sell your item you should determine if all the parts are there or not.
* Things to evaluate for condition: creases and wear, rust on the staples, are any of the maps or player aids detached? (are they included?), is there writing in the book (pen or pencil), highlighting, tape, etc.
* Most modules that show lots of wear or have any serious condition problems or are incomplete are generally not worth much and are not collectible but someone is probably willing to pay a few dollars to use it as a playing copy.

3.  What's my Birthright collection worth?
* TSR produced a lot of products for 2nd Edition and most were mass produced so copies are readily available.
* The Birthright Campaign Setting box (3100) and the other slim box sets have some good value
* Most of the Player's Secret book of ... were mass produced and are not difficult to find in new condition - many sell for under $10
* The exception is Player's Secrets of Hogunmark that was sent out exclusively to RPGA members with issue #130 of Polyhedron magazine - this sells for $50+

4.  What Campaign settings are worth the most?
* Planescape sells very well
* Greyhawk is the original campaign setting and still has a large number of followers
* Forgotten Realms has the most items produced but they produced a lot so many of these items can be difficult to sell.
* Dark Sun was revived for 4th edition D&D

NICE!
This is the best most productive post in the this thread.... Not even close.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:39 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote in Worthless items.:NICE!
This is the best most productive post in the this thread.... Not even close.

What are your points of contention?

Next