Warriors of Mars
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:18 am 

This has been an interesting thread, and just for the record Frank nice move with the one-cent under bid (classic) :)

I'm a little confused about part of you're last post.

Supposedly has 2 cars, a $310,000 house, and a construction business that earns him $385,000 a year, undeveloped land worth $485,000, blah blah blah. And he's selling his collection for financial reasons. Right...............

What does this have to do with the Warriors in question? I'm LOL, in what context was this written? Was he trying to threaten you with his pile of coins?  :lol:

Anyway, I happen to love this little book. I've actually read it, the rules are standard miniatures rules for the era, but it would take some playing to hammer them out. Its connection with early TSR rather than D&D attracted me to it, although its relationship can be read between the lines. I was always under the impression that this book was on the rarer side maybe not $300 bucks worth of rare, but along the lines of a true first print Grayhawk. ($150)

My question is, 3 -- 5 thousand may have been printed, but how many were recalled? How many weren't shipped for the same reason? And what did they do with them? Destroyed them? Gave them away to thousands of friends? I'm not trying to be sarcastic; I'm just trying to understand what happened to them all?

Honestly, 3 -- 5 thousand printed sounds crazy for an off war-game of the era. 1 maybe 2 seems more realistic, but who am I to question the EGG.  :(

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:57 am 

Let me show you some of the text:

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 01:39:03 -0500 "Frank Farris" <[email protected]>
writes:
> 1. $300 is way too much for Warriors of Mars.
A: If $300.00 is WAY TOO MUCH than why did you bid on it!

> 2. You claim to have had it for 8 years, yet you bought it a month
> and a
> half ago ago for $350.
A:I have TWO! I bought one recently and it was a little better than the
one I have.
  Im selling the FIRST one for LESS than the price I bought the SECOND
one.
  And if you ASSumed this, THEN WHY DID YOU BID?!
> 3. The print run for this was between 3000 and 5000 copies,
> according to
> Gygax. The 1st print Brownie had 1,000.
A:According to the ACAEUM, I received email regarding this item and
stated sales on ebay and other web sites going for $500.00 AND MORE.
  Once again, if you did'nt have any interest in this item, WHY DID YOU
BID?!

> 4. You state in your auction that if it didn't sell, you would just
> keep it.
> Sounds like a petulant child attitude.
A: I State that I needed the money, (an emergency came up, as if you
care).
  As for the "petulant child attitude", I'm not the one with two ebay
addresses, bidding on item's up to one cent to mess with people.

> But mostly it's #2. Since the auction had deceptive info in it, I
> have no
> way to be assured that the item isn't in far worse shape than
> stated, or
> that it isn't a Kinko's special.
A:SERIOUS NOW..., YOU'RE A MORON WRAPPED IN AN IDIOT!
>
SUMMATION: You're a sphincter dwelling ass monkey  with no dick, no life,
and no woman. Who get's his peanut off by messing with people on ebay.
GET A LIFE YOU DICK! I HAVE FAMILY WHERE YOU LIVE!

The amusing thing is that for someone who according to himself is doing pretty well in life, he has worse grammar than Draco :)
Seriously, he states he "needs the money". Ummm, OK, here's a thought:
SELL THE FUCKING LAND, IDIOT! Everything that comes out of this moron's mouth is an insult to those of us with IQ's above 60. Does he really think that anyone would believe he owns a house, 2 cars, undeveloped land, a construction business, three French hens, two turtle doves, etc. when he's selling a few RPG items to raise desperately needed cash?
This is the problem with the Web. I have maintained since 1996 that people should be licensed to use the Web, thereby pruning out the keyboard Conans and Internet Einsteins. If I had a buck for every time I heard "I'll kick your ass!" or "I know where you live", I'd be retired.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:06 pm 

Your a real shit disturber Deadlord.  I like it! :lol:  :lol:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:10 pm 

"he has worse grammar than Draco "

Hey now! lol  8O

well at least he didn't call me an ass monkey :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:28 pm 

Thanks, Blackie. I try.
This is one of the TSR items I've never actually owned. I looked at it like Boot Hill, as an item that I wouldn't actively chase after, but if it came in a lot................ Still, it does look like there is some nice tittage in the artwork. Can anyone confirm?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:51 pm 

There are a couple cleavage shots that are passable, but this book's strength is NOT in the artwork.  Anyone who owns a copy of OD&D would know that.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:24 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:My question is, 3 -- 5 thousand may have been printed, but how many were recalled? How many weren't shipped for the same reason? And what did they do with them? Destroyed them? Gave them away to thousands of friends? I'm not trying to be sarcastic; I'm just trying to understand what happened to them all?

Honestly, 3 -- 5 thousand printed sounds crazy for an off war-game of the era. 1 maybe 2 seems more realistic, but who am I to question the EGG.  :(

According to Gary's recollection, they had sold most of the print run by the time the ERB estate told them to stop, so it sounds like the recall wouldn't put a significant dent into the number of copies in circulation.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:01 am 

This item has a lot of potential crossover appeal - there are certainly those who collect Edgar Rice Burroughs and early print vintage paperbacks fetch decent prices.  

Some might be safely in the hands on non-RPG collectors.  

Just a thought. . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:43 am 

beyondthebreach wrote

This item has a lot of potential crossover appeal - there are certainly those who collect Edgar Rice Burroughs and early print vintage paperbacks fetch decent prices.

Some might be safely in the hands on non-RPG collectors.

Just a thought. . .

I was thinking possibly the same thing, so I went searching around official and fan based Burroughs sites to see if I could find a mention of it. No luck even with the sites with searches (Warriors of Mars, TSR, Gygax, etc.). However I found this photo with a man, I believe has intention.  :lol:

"Dam……I know there's a Warriors in here somewhere"

grodog wrote

According to Gary's recollection, they had sold most of the print run by the time the ERB estate told them to stop, so it sounds like the recall wouldn't put a significant dent into the number of copies in circulation.

Thanks G, always the man with the lowdown. Do you think the print run was closer to 3 thousand or the 5 grand?

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:23 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:grodog wrote

Thanks G, always the man with the lowdown. Do you think the print run was closer to 3 thousand or the 5 grand?

Gary said that he felt that the 5000 copy print run was more likely than the 3000 copy run.  

I find those print run figures pretty interesting, since WoM was released soon after the OD&D box sets, and if TSR printed 5000 WoM and only 1000 OD&D sets (3000 total books across the three volumes), it sounds like TSR may have been expecting to sell substantially more of the WoM title than of D&D.  

Also, does anyone know when TSR was contacted by the ERB estate to shut down the sales of WoM?  If TSR had in fact sold most of them by that time, that would provide a good predictor for the relative speed of sales of WoM vs. OD&D first edition (which took most of year to sell through IIRC, right?).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:12 pm 

I found this, it's not much, but at least one Burroughs reader is into the games.

ERBzine 0289: Motes & Quotes - ERBdate 2000.02.18

I find it highly unlikely though, that a Burroughs (reader) collector would put WoM on their priority list, when most of his original books go for under $100 from what I've seen.

For Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 84596&rd=1

Plus I've seen tons of his original books at just above this price on reseller's sites.

The book is more of a footnote as far as true Burroughs fans go, not being written or even endorsed by him. It's much more appealing to the TSR collector IMO, that's what is driving the price up. Not to mention confusion about number printed, recalled, etc. I'm sure bidders (other than Frank  :lol: ) are bidding on speculation, not wanting to be left out in the cold on a potential future treasure.

JMO

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:20 pm 

Edgar Rice Burroughs? I prefer the literature of William S. Burroughs.

*ducks and runs*

8) :lol:

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:27 am 

Grodog wrote;

Also, does anyone know when TSR was contacted by the ERB estate to shut down the sales of WoM? If TSR had in fact sold most of them by that time, that would provide a good predictor for the relative speed of sales of WoM vs. OD&D first edition (which took most of year to sell through IIRC, right?).

This is a great question Allan. It would be nice to know how the two faired against each other, and how each inspired the other. I searched around and found nothing, so I went to the WoM itself looking for a clue. I know this is really nothing, but in my copy's rear catalog, the price for a "Multi-Dice Set" has "$1.75" scratched out, and "$2.50" hand-written in pen next to it like the true first print Grayhawk. Could this mean that it was still for sale up until at least Feb of 75?

Also would WoM be considered the first sci-fi rpg?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:20 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:Edgar Rice Burroughs? I prefer the literature of William S. Burroughs.

William Burroughs is great. I assume from your quote at the bottom of your posts that you are also a fan of Hunter Thompson. Fear & Loathing was an awesome book and a terrific movie. Depp and Del Toro played the best roles of their lives.

Shawn

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:46 am 

Yes, HST is the best. As good as Fear & Loathing are his tales collections like Great Shark Hunt . Or the book he wrote about his time with the Hell's Angels. Or his stories from the campaign trail ...

Ahhh... great literature, though completely off-topic. Sorry for that.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:15 am 

Hmmm. I try to limit myself to Hustler. Easy to read.

Previous