RPGA # R - 1 & #RPGA-2
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:34 pm 

So I have version of these that I think aren't covered on the site - copies sent to high-placing participants of the Gen Con East (and other?) tourneys where they were first used.  They basically look like the pre-publication versions, but have no signature/#.  Are these known to the community?  I do have the letter (which *is* signed) from the RPGA telling me what they sent me (which included a Fighter's Wheel, apparently, but I can't find that).

Thanks for whatever you know,

Gordon

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:58 pm 

Congrats on possibly having some very cool items. What would really help is a few photos. And that collective groan you just heard was the agony of those completests on the forum who just read your post... 8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:08 pm 

Gordon:  please tell us more about your experiences at GenCon East, and whether you played at any of the other regional Philly-NJ-NYC-Baltimore conventions.  I'm wondering specifically if you're familiar with an old tourney called Treasure of the Dragon Queen, by chance?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:31 am 

Sorry, no recollection of the Treasure of the Dragon Queen.  I didn't make it to many conventions - a trip out to one of the GenCons at the U of W-Parkside one year, GenCon East, maybe one other Tri-State area con.  I remember playing in the RPGA tourney, but my character (a halfling) was paralyzed VERY early and I didn't even check to see if I'd made it to the next round.  I guess "I" did, and someone must of played as me, because I got notified I was one of the top finishers - got a 1 year RPGA extension and the modules.  Other tourneys I remember were the Fez (I think) adventures, where the "wizard" turned out to have a computer, and a number of Tunnels and Trolls/Monsters!Monsters! slugfests.

In the next day or two I'll scan the letter and a page or two from the modules, but they really look just like the "pre-publication" scans w/ no signature or serial numbering.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:41 pm 

The first use of R1 was at GenCon South in early 1981, along with "Eye of the Bog" (Shook) as the other RPGA premier event. (Good luck getting a copy of Bog; it was unfinished, run by the author, and never published.) The other official event there was Battle Royal (Blake & Mentzer), a 1e arena game using figures, a board, and terrain that changed every round.

We ran Falx at two tables as an RPGA final round of GenCon East (Cherry Hill NJ).

The two DMs were Bill Hoyer and Bill Fawcett, 6 players apiece.
They used a lineprinter output from the TSR printer.

The RPGA was just barely getting rolling, and we didn't start the signed prepubs until GenCon that year iirc.

F

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:12 pm 

ExTSR wrote in RPGA # R - 1 & #RPGA-2:The first use of R1 was at GenCon South in early 1981, along with "Eye of the Bog" (Shook) as the other RPGA premier event. (Good luck getting a copy of Bog; it was unfinished, run by the author, and never published.) The other official event there was Battle Royal (Blake & Mentzer), a 1e arena game using figures, a board, and terrain that changed every round.

We ran Falx at two tables as an RPGA final round of GenCon East (Cherry Hill NJ).

The two DMs were Bill Hoyer and Bill Fawcett, 6 players apiece.
They used a lineprinter output from the TSR printer.

The RPGA was just barely getting rolling, and we didn't start the signed prepubs until GenCon that year iirc.

F

This is why Frank is never allowed to leave the Acaeum!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:20 pm 

Here's the letter (actually on a golden-ish paper), which it turns out is NOT signed. I guess I was supposed to mail it back to get my extension, but obviously I didn't - although I have the first two years of Polyhedrons, and don't remember paying for an extension ...

Anything about R1 & R2 that a scan would be useful for? Like I said, they really look like the pre-pubs, although since I ran them locally there are penciled markings for damage and the like.
Attachment:
RPGAletter001.jpg

EDIT: So it would be interesting if Frank (or anyone) can remember how "GenCon East winners" was calculated. All 12 at the final tables? Some subset of those? I guess that'd say how many of these were mailed out. It is a perhaps interesting note on the haphazard early RPGA that even though I was "credited" with being one of the "winners", I did not in fact play past the first round (I just assumed since I spent like 90% of the round 1 session with my character paralyzed, I wouldn't be moving on ...)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:23 am 

glandis wrote in RPGA # R - 1 & #RPGA-2:how "GenCon East winners" was calculated. All 12 at the final tables?

I find it interesting that I can still picture the meeting, as the 3 of us discussed Winners after the event. Bill & Bill described the best players' actions, and we were unanimous in our decision about who took #1. Bill Hoyer may very well remember that discussion too, he's a sharp guy. Ask him at GaryCon!

Recall the radical change: every D&D/AD&D tourney up to that point had been team-based. We were pioneering the concept of individual winners (based on voting).

Since the RPGA was new, we did decide to send out awards afterward to broaden the base. That would be the letter pictured (printed on the distinctive stationary of that brief time using our RPGA Office printer, all handled by Mr. Hoyer).

One addendum now: I think I ran a table m'self; don't recall for absolutely sure but it's probably. (Have a trace memory of saying my group didn't do very well.) If true, that'd be 18 players instead of 12 for Falx. The top winner was from one of the other two tables.

F

Being a packrat, I still have some materials from GCsouth '81 and GCEast '81 I think... in a box somewhere... definitely have a full set of Battle Royal, might try to reprint it if I can track down Blake's widow.

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:45 pm 

ExTSR wrote in RPGA # R - 1 & #RPGA-2:One addendum now: I think I ran a table m'self; don't recall for absolutely sure but it's probably. (Have a trace memory of saying my group didn't do very well.)
I've learned not to TOTALLY trust my memory from those days, but if I remember right, you ran (or at least stopped by and assisted or something) the first round table I was at - and yeah, we definitely did not do well. Like I said, I was paralyzed right quick and the group never made it to where the "cure paralysis" was.

So, other than creating the possibility that another 3-18 (pretty sure "I" was at best the #3 finisher) copies of R1/R2 are out there (pre-prepubs?), what sort of "collecting" issues does this raise? I mean, I don't think my copies are particularly prime collecting material (as I actually *gasp* USED them sorta-gently at some point), but they also aren't labeled in any distinctive way and thus could be mistaken for "mere" photocopies. Other than "keep the letter with the modules" - thoughts?

And since I have the scanner hooked-up, and it's kinda neat:
Attachment:
RPGCert003.jpg

Hey, no expiration date. I'm STILL a member! Actually, I guess in a sense that's true - I am still playing, after all ...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.