Down in the Dungeon [Squadron/Signal Publications inc.]
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:44 pm 

I snagged this link because it was easy to find a picture of...

GROGNARDIA: Down in the Dungeon

What's it worth, and should I bring it to Gencon to sell to a fellow Acaeum member?   :)

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:25 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote in Down in the Dungeon [Squadron/Signal Publications inc.]:I snagged this link because it was easy to find a picture of...
GROGNARDIA: Down in the Dungeon
What's it worth, and should I bring it to Gencon to sell to a fellow Acaeum member?   :)

I like that write up. Very well done.

As for value, I guess it depends on who you show it to.
I have 2 copies of this book and I saw one listed on e-Bay the other day while patrolling for fun finds, but do not recall the price it was set for.
I actually thought about buying that one too; mainly as both of my two copies have binding issues and that copy looked pretty well put together.
I think the binding is a common issue for this book actually.

As for value?
I listed one of my copies on e-Bay at just under $20 and it never sold, though that was a while ago.
Even though it is pretty uncommon, IMO this item is seriously under valued by the collecting community as a whole.
Seems this is a specialty item that one has to look through at leisure to truly appreciate the beauty of the book as a whole.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:32 am 

I've seen listings all over the place, but I don't think I've ever seen it sell for much, maybe $10-20.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:20 pm 

Gnat the Beggar wrote in Down in the Dungeon [Squadron/Signal Publications inc.]:Seems this is a specialty item that one has to look through at leisure to truly appreciate the beauty of the book as a whole.

It's a great book; I found a copy for less than I expected (<$20). As you've stated, it probably slips under the radar because people don't realize what it is, an art book rather than text with a few illustrations.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:05 pm 

I've seen these go as low as $5. There isn't much substace to the book, and I'd be interested to hear if anyone ever wrote their own notes to go with it, but it is worth it for the dungeon map alone, and the possibility of writing your own dungeon and having a stack of illustrations to go with it. Probably wouldn't ever expect the book to be worth more than $20 as they seem to have been remainder bin stock in games stores even post Y2K, and they regularly appear in 2nd hand stalls in UK games cons etc. Maybe it's a UK centric thing and maybe these are rarer in the US. Well worth a look for anyone, but maybe not a keeper if you collect on a budget.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . minestrone soup.