Please help with appraisal
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:47 pm 

I am looking for help with getting some books appraised, and I can't seem to find all the books here.  Can someone help me, or tell me where I can go to get them appraised.  Some I found here, but were not updated.  I would appreciate any help, thanks

Fiend Folio (AD&D)
Monster Manual 2 (AD&D)
Oriental Adventures (AD&D)
Book of Artifacts-2nd Edition (AD&D)
Legends and Lore-2nd Edition (AD&D)
Player's Option: Combat and Tactics (AD&D)
Dugeon Master Option: HIgh-Level Campaigns (AD&D)
Magic Encyclopedia Volume One (AD&D)
Magic Encyclopedia Volume Two (AD&D)
The Complete Ranger's Handbook-Second Edition (AD&D)
The Complete Barbarian's Handbook-Second Editon (AD&D)
Draconomicon-Second Edition (AD&D)

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:41 am 

toffelt wrote in Please help with appraisal:I am looking for help with getting some books appraised, and I can't seem to find all the books here.  Can someone help me, or tell me where I can go to get them appraised.  Some I found here, but were not updated.  I would appreciate any help, thanks

Fiend Folio (AD&D)
Monster Manual 2 (AD&D)

The hardcover books sell for around $10-$12 each

toffelt wrote in Please help with appraisal:The Complete Ranger's Handbook-Second Edition (AD&D)
The Complete Barbarian's Handbook-Second Editon (AD&D)

The "complete" books sell for around $3.00 each

toffelt wrote in Please help with appraisal:Magic Encyclopedia Volume One (AD&D)

And I'm not too sure about these... Don't the Encyclopedias sell for around $40-$50 for the set of four?

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:33 am 

toffelt wrote in Please help with appraisal:I am looking for help with getting some books appraised, and I can't seem to find all the books here.  Can someone help me, or tell me where I can go to get them appraised.  Some I found here, but were not updated.  I would appreciate any help, thanks

Invincible Overlord gave you excellent advice, however, value usually goes up or down significantly based on condition.

All of your items are common and can be found on eBay most of the time.  The best way to determine their value is by looking at "completed items" and not the prices offered.  You have to log in to eBay before you can use this feature I believe.  You will notice that identical titles will sell for more or less depending on their condition, their photos, their edition, their provenance (history, signatures, etc...) and their descriptions.  Like much of life, the more you put in to your selling, the more you get out of it.  You may also notice that selling in bulk lots usually results in a lower sales price per item than if items are sold individually.  However, for cheap items under $10.00, it's probably best to bundle related items into one lot.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Last edited by benjoshua on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:15 pm 

Fiend Folio (AD&D)
Monster Manual 2 (AD&D)

I have always been able to find all of these books for $5 (more or less) plus shipping costs on e-Bay.
I would never pay over $10 for any of them.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:07 pm 

Invincible Overlord wrote in Please help with appraisal:
toffelt wrote in Please help with appraisal:Magic Encyclopedia Volume One (AD&D)

And I'm not too sure about these... Don't the Encyclopedias sell for around $40-$50 for the set of four?

If these are the two Magic Encyclopedias that I think they are (by Connie and Slade Henson, with the wizards on the cover), then they each go for about $4-5.  

~throwi

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:21 am 

I don't think that the guys at DF are going to be more accurate on an appraisel. These are just common books printed in huge quantities and readily available. The hardest thing is that the cost of shipping makes them even harder to sell. If you enjoyed them I'd recommend keeping them and reading through them again. You might find renewed interest. If you just want some cash you could try selling them as a single lot and roll the dice hoping for some ebay auction craziness. Make sure you cover yourself on the shipping costs and fees if you try a lowball starting bid because they could end up costing you to sell them.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."